Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally we have a massive amount of people that visit every Halloween, this year not as much because us Southerners do not like the cold and this Halloween was cold enough to keep a lot of people at home. Even before Halloween day there is a good amount of people that drive by every day to see the decorations lit up at night. So a challenge in the past has been cords. On Halloween day the kids do not seem to have any conception that there could be cords running along the ground. I got smart a few years ago and started burying a cord but that was in itself a problem because with all of our rain it did not take long for damage to ensure. I expect every few years for my cords to change position just simply because I may want to change things up. Has anyone found creative solutions to our cord challenges?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use Sockit Boxes to make connections from extension cords to splitters. And I use landscape staples to staple cords down every 8-12". As much as possible I run cords along cemetery fences or in other places people are unlikely to cross.

Next year my plan is to run a length of conduit underground that will hold the big extension cord that crosses the lawn to feed the rest of the props (a trio of Maple trees makes a good spot to use as the middle of power distribution, but getting from the porch to the maples is the part I worry about tripping over the most).

·
Registered
567 Posts
You need to block off access anywhere that there's a hazard. That means fencing, caution tape, anything that will keep people out of your decorations and away from your cords. If anyone falls and hurts themselves on your property, you can be sued. Don't take a chance.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to block off access anywhere that there's a hazard. That means fencing, caution tape, anything that will keep people out of your decorations and away from your cords. If anyone falls and hurts themselves on your property, you can be sued. Don't take a chance.
Well I am definitely doing a full fence, you know the type with PVC and fur strips? I would not think that would be enough to remove my liability would it?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I am definitely doing a full fence, you know the type with PVC and fur strips? I would not think that would be enough to remove my liability would it?
There again in this State if you saw what was in people front yards it is insane. 5/10 people in this State have so much junk in their yards lawsuits would be flying.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't know if a fence would limit your liability. I use caution tape the night of Halloween, but even with that ... I staple the cords down to the ground so people can't catch a toe and trip. It also helps them disappear from view, so it is aesthetic and functional. And it is nice that I don't trip as I adjust things after work.

Logic would tell you that if you cross into a fenced area and tripped ... it was your own fault. But I think awesome props are attractive nuisances (like swimming pools and trampolines) so the burden of protecting foolish kids goes up. If someone pulls a cement bird bath onto their foot, that is probably less likely to be an issue than if they trip on an extension cord because a prop moved and scared them.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If they can't get to your cords, they can't hurt themselves, can they? If they bypass your fence, they are trespassing.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hide them in your props.

You can plan your layout to make some main power branches, then each prop plugs into one branch. But you can integrate your power into your props to hide them and protect them from the weather. Make some hollow tombstones to look like short obelisks. Make the base hollow, so you can hide things underneath.

Now most typical power strips are 6-8 jacks, on a 3-4ft power cable. You want all of your plugs and jacks up off the ground so flooding doesn't cause harm. So take a wooden stake, put screws into it, mount the power strip to it, hammer into the ground. Then use simple hardware store velcro cable wraps to keep your cables wrapped to the wooden stake. Then place the obelisk over the power strip, and everything is hidden from curious munchkin hands and eyes.

And if you're serious about having permanent power outlets out in the yard, look into your local building code for burying cable, which grades of cable/conduit is permitted, and do it legally.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use a fence around the yard just to limit access by tots and parents. However, there still a center walkway up the middle of my yard that doesn't have the fence barrier. I use curved metal tent stakes from Walmart to stretch and hold the cords to the ground. They become less of a trip hazard this way in case someone wondered into the yard away from the walkway. You can always expect someone to wonder into your decorations to take pictures. It's best you be prepared and stake the cords to the ground to minimize trip hazards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Normally we have a massive amount of people that visit every Halloween, this year not as much because us Southerners do not like the cold and this Halloween was cold enough to keep a lot of people at home. Even before Halloween day there is a good amount of people that drive by every day to see the decorations lit up at night. So a challenge in the past has been cords. On Halloween day the kids do not seem to have any conception that there could be cords running along the ground. I got smart a few years ago and started burying a cord but that was in itself a problem because with all of our rain it did not take long for damage to ensure. I expect every few years for my cords to change position just simply because I may want to change things up. Has anyone found creative solutions to our cord challenges?
We use fences to keep folks out of the cemeteries since that is where most of the cords are. We have a very wide driveway with scenes along it and a cemetery on each side of it (one just for the witches and their scene). We bring power from each side of the house to supply them separately. No cords to cross there. The garage becomes Dracula's mausoleum and the witches lair, both powered from inside the garage. You just can't let people wander around where your electric cords are. It's not good for them or your set up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We use fences to keep folks out of the cemeteries since that is where most of the cords are. We have a very wide driveway with scenes along it and a cemetery on each side of it (one just for the witches and their scene). We bring power from each side of the house to supply them separately. No cords to cross there. The garage becomes Dracula's mausoleum and the witches lair, both powered from inside the garage. You just can't let people wander around where your electric cords are. It's not good for them or your set up.
no matter what you do, if someone does something stupid in your yard they can sue you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts