Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering adding RGB controlled black strips to my Halloween fence. Cutting the strips at 2' - 3' long and attaching them vertically on each post (pvc pipe). Has anyone done this? Thoughts on a matrix (of sorts, i.e. scrolling words, etc.). I saw a post on the Christmas site and planned on making one for Christmas but hey, Halloween comes first every year, :)

IMG_20141031_182854061.jpg

RGB strips like these from Ray Wu's Store

BLACK-PCB-5m-DC5V-WS2812B-led-pixel-srip-IP68-30pcs-WS2812B-M-with-30pixels-waterproof-in.jpg_64.jpg

Pics of my fence can be found in my 2013 album: https://plus.google.com/photos/102346003902836730393/albums/5941117672171832081

This is not my idea or design but I got the idea for my fence from the following post:
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?33454-Pixel-Matrix-Construction-Photos

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Randy

·
Registered
124 Posts
A couple things to consider about matrixes: They take a lot of power due to the number of pixels needed, and viewing distance is key to determining the pixel spacing.

A lot of folks on DIYC are doing matrixes this year, and you can learn a lot from what others have tried. The drilled PVC pipe approach idleup used is very solid and will undoubtedly last for a while. That said, you will need jigs and a drill press to ensure accuracy of your cuts (as he did). Another approach is to use pre-cut pixel net like HolidayCoro sells. It is a lot less work that way, but you will need a frame or bracing to keep it straight.

Just for reference on power: The HC 3" spacing pixel net can accommodate 512 pixel nodes. 512 pixels at 12VDC will draw ~23A at peak (which would put you right at the limit for a 12V 29A switching supply like the Meanwell NES-350-12 at 80% efficiency)

All that said, matrixes are pretty cool. I don't have one in my haunt this year, but have been giving serious thought about using one next year.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is starting to go the wrong direction probably due to the posted picture by annamarykahn. I didn't mind but thought it might cause confusion. The posted pic is not mine, I saw that from another posted on doityourselfchristmas. It gave me an idea that I could use RGB strip lights on my graveyard fence and possibly have it say halloween or other things in addition to the cool color effects you could do. I will edit the post and explain more with a pic or two. Annamarykahn, can you remove the pic so that it doesn't cause more confusion?

Thanks,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Those fence posts are pretty far apart compared with the Ray Wu pixel strips you show in the picture (which appear to be 30 pixels per meter 5V WS2812B). Generally matrixes have the same inter-pixel distance (a.k.a. pitch) horizontally and vertically. At 30 pixels/meter (1m = ~39.37in) you are looking at a vertical pixel spacing of ~1.31in, and a horizontal spacing of >4in. Even with large font scrolling text, it is probably going to look a little weird.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those fence posts are pretty far apart compared with the Ray Wu pixel strips you show in the picture (which appear to be 30 pixels per meter 5V WS2812B). Generally matrixes have the same inter-pixel distance (a.k.a. pitch) horizontally and vertically. At 30 pixels/meter (1m = ~39.37in) you are looking at a vertical pixel spacing of ~1.31in, and a horizontal spacing of >4in. Even with large font scrolling text, it is probably going to look a little weird.
Very good point. I haven't decided on the strips yet so I need to keep that in mind. The strips I have currently are white and 3 leds/pixel so I was wanting each led to be a pixel so that I had more configuration options to make it look better. Maybe something like adding a strip of lights between the posts and lighting multiple leds at a time, not sure yet. I may just keep it simple and have the posts able to light up different colors (green, purple, red, etc.). I believe the spacing between the posts are 8" if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Simple colors should work, but you will need to be mindful of the visibility of the portion of the haunt inside of the fence (if you want it to be visible from outside the fence or not). If the LEDs are too bright, your ToTs pupils will constrict and they won't be able to see much past the fence line. Then upon entry through the gate they will need time for their eyes to readjust. Just something to think about....

·
black light queen
2,612 Posts
This is starting to go the wrong direction probably due to the posted picture by annamarykahn. I didn't mind but thought it might cause confusion. The posted pic is not mine, I saw that from another posted on doityourselfchristmas. It gave me an idea that I could use RGB strip lights on my graveyard fence and possibly have it say halloween or other things in addition to the cool color effects you could do. I will edit the post and explain more with a pic or two. Annamarykahn, can you remove the pic so that it doesn't cause more confusion?

Thanks,
done

i thought that the pic that i posted was what you were doing ... you didn't post any pics so i had not idea what you were talking about ... so i posted a pic from the web site that you mentioned thinking that it would clarify things ...

i see that you posted some pics of what you're talking about :)

amk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts