Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here duplicated the fire effect seen on the Disney Pirates of the Caribbean ride? The one with a reflective fabric background and a fan and an orange light? One of the rooms in my haunt has a pirate theme and I was thinking of having the fire effect at a window at the back of the room.

Surprisingly (with all the recent pirate craze and halloween etc) there seems to be only one link describing this on the internet:
(sorry if this hyperlink doesnt work -- if not you can paste into your browser)

Backyard Imagineering - Pirates of the Caribbean Fire

However there are no pictures, no commentary, and nobody saying if this actually works. I think the most delicate part is finding the right material to use in the breeze. I'm not sure what "silver silk" is but I was experimenting with dry cleaning bags (probably a lighter material than "silver silk") and it didnt seem to be fluttering enough. Maybe there is a trick to how you hang it or where you position the fan.

Registered
I'm not sure what "silver silk" is but I was experimenting with dry cleaning bags (probably a lighter material than "silver silk") and it didnt seem to be fluttering enough. Maybe there is a trick to how you hang it or where you position the fan.
You're going to laugh when I tell you this, but "Silver silk" is literally silver colored silk fabric.

As for setup, what you'll need to do is create a frame that you can attach part of your silk to (at the top and bottom - make sure there's slack) and then place your fan(s) beneath the frame so that it pushes the fabric. Then add in a red or orange flood light to reflect off the silver silk and you're good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts