Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just checking in from AZ. What started as a mild homage to Pirates of the Caribbean has spun out of control haha. I am having a bunch of fun with it though. If anyone has any pirate tips I'd love to hear them. I have a couple questions I'd like help with and I apologize if these have already been answered

1. I have two Walmart purchased fog machines (400w) they are only triggered manually via a remote or button, I'd like to have them go off automatically on a timer. I am decent with basic wiring, any tricks?

2. I'd like to pipe the fog through my cannons and also out around the rest of the display, I have a good idea about how to do this except how to connect it to the spot on the fog machine without melting the PVC pipe

3. Any suggestion on pirate sounds and/or songs? I have not found much on-line, Id like some with with cannon explosions and such.

Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Tuscani451, and welcome! I have been assembling a skeleton pirate crew of my own this year! There are currently five pirates in my crew, with two more arriving Thursday! They are all (save one) the Jack Sparrow skeletons, and I just bought my last two at Walmart.com for $43.50 each; a great price for the pose n stay 5 ft tall skelley with a wig and headscarf and a waist belt/sash! I went to the local Goodwill and Salvation Army and found clothes for them cheap!
20170924_190309 copy 2.jpg

20170924_190329.jpg
I built a treasure chest, a sailor's chest and a cash box for them out of cardboard, and pallet wood.
20170825_065549.jpg
I have more pics of those projects in my albums on my forum profile page.
There are many fine folks here, much more talented than I, who can be of assistance in your pirate theme ideas. Do you have any pictures you could provide to show us your current progress? Indoor or outdoor displays?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow man that looks great! My set up is out side and we only have four skeletons but would like to add more. I built some cannons and part of a ship but would like to do more. I will see if I can post pics. Does this forum require they be linked through a third party like photobucket?

·
Registered
158 Posts
To upload pictures, I've found that you can just click on the little "image" button on the tool bar in your response; third from the right (next to what looks like a strip of film) hover your pointer over the little icon and it will say ,"insert image". You can add images from your computer right into the response. You could scroll down to the "go advanced" button, and there you can add multiple pics at once. I'd love to see the ship and cannons, as I am considering the same things for my yard.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't you hate when you type something and then hit the wrong button and it all goes poof!!!

Hey Toscani...... Wondering where your haunt is. There are a few of us in AZ with Pirate motifs.

I will answer your thoughts again (as he mumbles to himself about hitting the wrong button)

If you can get a Youtube ripper, there are tons of sounds and music for pirates. The entire (all five) POTC soundtracks are there as well as from video games, cannon blasts and all kinds of ship and ocean sound effects. I have a Mac so I use Garage Band to edit them. If you want to PM me, I could share some with you if you would like.

As for the fog, a couple of thoughts. You may want to pick up a 1000w fog machine to do the yard (depending on how big it is). I would also recommend a fog chiller to make the fog stay lower to the ground. It stays hot here in October , as you know, so a chiller will help to keep the ground down (but not really on the ground). Search for Fog Chiller on the forum and you will get lots of designs. Also even if the nozzle comes in contact with the PVC it won't melt, but keep about two inches between the nozzle and the pipe. This gives the fog a chance to expand and draw in some fresh air, boosting the volume of the fog a little bit.

If you belong to CostCo, they had some peg leg skellies still on sale for $19 last weekend. I have three, but maybe one or two more....Hmmmm!

Tips: don't forget the little extras. Boxes, barrels, torches, birds and lots of fabric. Fishing nets and sea creatures. Lots of avenues. I think there are a few pics in my profile area of past Halloweens (at work and can't access my files at the moment.

Let me know if you would like any files.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
22089193_10214312458869917_8106499854704128987_n.jpg
22089287_10214312458989920_1458564644074455435_n.jpg
22196053_10214312459429931_5060541684227662473_n.jpg
22090131_10214312459349929_4136937886294096854_n.jpg

Some pics of what we've done so far, my wife loves it but i always think it could be better. I could build out the full ship pretty easy but I've spent a bunch of money already. I have lots of small details I'd like to add. I plan on at least two more skeletons this year-Costco ones for sure. The Costco ones kinda bother me, I mean that guy lost a leg, hand and eye, maybe pirating isnt the life for him haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't you hate when you type something and then hit the wrong button and it all goes poof!!!

Hey Toscani...... Wondering where your haunt is. There are a few of us in AZ with Pirate motifs.

I will answer your thoughts again (as he mumbles to himself about hitting the wrong button)

If you can get a Youtube ripper, there are tons of sounds and music for pirates. The entire (all five) POTC soundtracks are there as well as from video games, cannon blasts and all kinds of ship and ocean sound effects. I have a Mac so I use Garage Band to edit them. If you want to PM me, I could share some with you if you would like.

As for the fog, a couple of thoughts. You may want to pick up a 1000w fog machine to do the yard (depending on how big it is). I would also recommend a fog chiller to make the fog stay lower to the ground. It stays hot here in October , as you know, so a chiller will help to keep the ground down (but not really on the ground). Search for Fog Chiller on the forum and you will get lots of designs. Also even if the nozzle comes in contact with the PVC it won't melt, but keep about two inches between the nozzle and the pipe. This gives the fog a chance to expand and draw in some fresh air, boosting the volume of the fog a little bit.

If you belong to CostCo, they had some peg leg skellies still on sale for $19 last weekend. I have three, but maybe one or two more....Hmmmm!

Tips: don't forget the little extras. Boxes, barrels, torches, birds and lots of fabric. Fishing nets and sea creatures. Lots of avenues. I think there are a few pics in my profile area of past Halloweens (at work and can't access my files at the moment.

Let me know if you would like any files.
Thanks for the info! I will check out your pics and I may take you up on the file sharing. I live in the faaaar east valley

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hiya and a massive WELCOME TO THE FORUM , from England , i look forward to speaking to you in the forums .

·
Registered
158 Posts
View attachment 495401
View attachment 495409
View attachment 495417
View attachment 495425

Some pics of what we've done so far, my wife loves it but i always think it could be better. I could build out the full ship pretty easy but I've spent a bunch of money already. I have lots of small details I'd like to add. I plan on at least two more skeletons this year-Costco ones for sure. The Costco ones kinda bother me, I mean that guy lost a leg, hand and eye, maybe pirating isnt the life for him haha.
That is one great pirate spectacle you have there!! And I have to agree with you on the Costco peg leg skelly, I found the Jack Sparrow skellies on Ebay, and then on Walmart.com for $40 each, and they aren't battle-damaged like the poor ol' swab from Costco--no wonder he was on sale for $20!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just search in the forum fog machine or fog machine hacks, if you are time sensitive or they seem beyond what you want to to try I bought a froggys fog machine timer that works on my Target brand fog machines- bought it for about 16 bucks on amazon (plus the machine on sale-about 40 dollars for both). Make sure your prongs on the machine match the timer! Welcome to the forum!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts