Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Witches and ghosts have always been a part of Halloween. And the 1930's films added Frankenstein, Dracula (Vampires) & Mummies. Being a child in the 70's and 80's, I know why Michael Myers, Leatherface, and all their serial killer friends are associated with Halloween. But Why PIRATES?
I will probably never do a Pirate themed Halloween because I just do not connect the two. I know alot of you do so I was just wondering why you do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think it has to do with the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and its association with the Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyland/world. On the one hand I agree with you, and on the other I see how it works. Common denominator = skulls.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I went through 187 threads from the past and found this one

http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/61750-pirates.html

I read all the answers and I guess I get why some people connect Halloween and Pirates but I think that Halloween is about fear. Does anyone fear pirates?
I am not trying to offend anyone. So please don't take it that way. I quess it's kinda like aliens which I use some times. A real alien would scare the
SH*T out of me. But I live in the south and I am surrounded by fields. If I lived on the coast maybe pirates would scare me. But they would have to be ghosts. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Honestly, the reason we do a pirate theme for Halloween is the fact that we love Halloween and we love Pirates, so to us it only seemed like a logical idea, for us that is, to do a pirate theme as we wouldn't set up a pirate ship in our backyard any other time of the year. Seems odd yes, but we aren't the most "normal" of people anyhow.

·
Haverghast Asylum warden.
799 Posts
This is like asking why There are haunts based on asylums, They asylums, and Halloween are not connected in any way. I do my asylum haunt because I find old run down hospitals very cool, and asylums are just creepy. LOts of haunts have nothing to do with halloween, butcher shops, clowns, pirates, asylums, ect, but they are all creepy. The fun of Halloween is that you can make it anything you want.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've always viewed pirates kind of the same way I view serial killers, clowns, and things like that with Halloween. Traditionally I don't think any of them really have anything to do with Halloween. However over the years they have all have become a part of it through movies, books, theme park attractions and such. If done well they can be presented in a way that is creepy and spooky even if they don't have a direct link to Halloween. This will be our first year doing somewhat of a pirate themed display. And I say somewhat because we're staying away from the usual pirates on ships and things like that. Instead we're doing more of a spooky ghost pirate graveyard theme. My main reason for choosing to incorporate pirates this year is because I wanted to do something a little different from what usually I see around here. I think when it comes to Halloween haunts it's all about using your imagination and being creative. If you have fun creating something that you enjoy and that your visitors enjoy then that's all that matters. Even if it doesn't exactly "fit" more traditional Halloween themes like Witches and monsters. I think that's why there are so many haunts out there that have themes that don't exactly tie right into Halloween.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Shiver me timbers! Not see the connection...I have lots of little pirates come to my home every year. Pirates were a fearsome bunch on the high seas and in the towns they made port in. Scared many a lass or lad I'm sure. Pirate ships coming out of the fog..., mates with one leg, one eye, a hook for a hand. Cut throats making poor souls walk the plank to certain death in the sea, or eaten by alligators, crocodiles, sharks...adventurers they be! Lusting for gold and other bounty...my theme this year is pirates and a swamp witch. I'm planning a little extra pirates booty for brave souls.

·
Horror off the Highway
1,795 Posts
This is like asking why There are haunts based on asylums, They asylums, and Halloween are not connected in any way. I do my asylum haunt because I find old run down hospitals very cool, and asylums are just creepy. LOts of haunts have nothing to do with halloween, butcher shops, clowns, pirates, asylums, ect, but they are all creepy. The fun of Halloween is that you can make it anything you want.
Here here Haver!! :D

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
Bah. There's been pirates and halloween long before Jack Sparrow.

From The Dread Pirate Roberts of the Princess Bride, to Sinbad, to ye olde pirate swashbucklers of yore, Pirates have always won the fancy of youngens. Thus, will always share a spot in Halloween, for Halloween is a chance to be what you WANT. It's not all about fear.

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
Pirates, clowns, gypsies, etc...all costumes from long ago. I don't think you can credit/blame Johnny Depp for pirates on Halloween.

I'm doing a pirate theme for the first time. I've been doing a haunt in one form or another since I was a teenager. Let's just say a decade or two. ;) It's been fun to go in a different direction this year.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wasn't talking about costumes. I know we can be whatever we want to be. I am just saying that for Halloween to be Halloween it has to prey on some actual fear. ALOT of people are scared of clowns. We have all seen them. We have all seen seriel killers at least on the news. (John Wayne Gacy- a nice combination of both) and an asylum is where real people live who could actually hurt you. Being a big fan of Waverly Hills Sanatorium I love old hospitals where thousands of people actually died and now haunt. Most of us will probably die in a hospital. I guess I don't get the connection because there is no actual fear of anything at all to do with pirates. At my house and in my haunt, no matter how good the scene is set to the effect. If there were pirates, my patrons would probably giggle. But I am trying to scare adults and teens mostly. But call me traditional. Run at them with a hook or sword dressed like a pirate, what happens? Run at them with a chainsaw dressed like...well... anything... people scatter. I think that movies contribute to what we include in Halloween but Pirates of the Caribbean wasn't a scary movie. This video from another thread shows an AWESOME pirate theme. Great theater but not scary. If you love pirates and want to incorporate them in cool but they don't seem Halloween.
YouTube - Total Automation, Inc. Pirate's Halloween 2007

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,536 Posts
Sorry, but I think you're being very close minded. Just because something doesn't scare you, doesn't mean it doesn't scare others. Clowns don't scare everyone, yet you mention that those are acceptable. And aliens scare you, yet I've never encountered one and don't currently think that they're scary in the least. What's scary about a 4 ft silver dude with big black eyes? You say that pirates don't seem Halloween.... and somehow aliens do seem Halloween to you?

You've never encountered a pirate in real life, so you've never feared for your life, but if you know any history, pirates were among the most fearsome threats of their times. Even today, there are pirates that won't think twice about killing as they plunder a person's yacht. They're not the problem they used to be, but they still exist... sans the elaborate outfits and parrots. I'm just saying, have an open mind because you sound very condescending and don't realize right now that you're pissing on some people's entire haunt. Not mine, but others base their entire haunt on pirates. Besides, Halloween was originally about the kids and many are petrified of pirates. If you're trying to scare adults, run at them with a chainsaw which personally doesn't scare me since I know there's no chain.

No one said that all characters of Halloween deliver the same amount of fear. Obviously, some are worse than others depending on the person.

I'm sorry if this sounds like an attack, but at first you started with an innocent question, and then your tone began to sound very condescending.

Sorry for turning SO SERIOUS, but this really struck a chord with me.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
It seems more like what ever is popular in the movies that year is what you see alot of kids in costume..... we have adapted whatever we now fancy to make into or apart of our haunt scheme. Maybe it is or isn't scarey to you or anyone,just the fun of bringing something that interests you to life. I personally am not doing a pirate theme,however i LOVE the pirate thing ! i have collected real "pirate" memorabilia,i work on boats for part of my living & one of them is a real pirate ship replica, a 65ft spanish 2 mast 1700's replica with 2 fake canons off the starboard side that he had me make & install. If i did do a pirate thing,would be on his boat & just to do it rather than going for a scarey theme. Some of us do the good ole frankenstein & wolfman,drac thing, yet most of the kids grew up now wih freddy,jason & the likes,they aren't into the older creatures & don't think much of them it seems,but we still build them..... What really is or isn't Halloween related is no more than personal preference & fun of creating it, not if or if not anyone thinks it's halloween related,it's all in the fun of it !

1 - 20 of 59 Posts