Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having so much trouble with the linkage part of this prop (the wiper motor part). I have spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure this out. This is my 3rd year for a Pirate theme, and this wheel is the main prop. I have reviewed and watch hours of other pirate wheel's "how to" and still can't get mine to work. The problem is the wiper motor screw seems to be where things are binding up. I have a lock washer there to supposedly stop it from rotating the motor, but obviously it is not working.

While it seems like an easy prop to build, apparently, I am not mechanically inclined enough. I am sure there are others who have had the same problem. Close up pictures of assembly and washer might help if some one could show us less mechanically thinking people, would be most appreciated. Please don't tell me to go look at another video of this or that. I am telling you, if its out there, I have watched it lol.

Thanks for any help everyone.
linkage.jpg

GOOD NEWS - I was able to get the linkage fixed and everything seems to be working good. Here is a close up of my nuts and bolts - it might help someone. Thanks to everyone for their help.
DSC00957.jpg

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,448 Posts
I'm assuming your problem is the screw tightening? Just use a lock nut ,also called Ny-Lock.Leave a small gap when tightening but not so much that there is a lot of play in the linkage.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Without seeing it in action, what "wiper motor screw" is binding? Is it the pushrod that attaches to the wheel that keeps binding on something? You also mention lock washers. Is the bind from nuts self tightening during rotation? To stop self tightening of the nuts, try nylon threaded, or self locking ones.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Yeah, like the others said, it's hard to make out from the pic but if you have a lock washer on a part that needs to rotate freely, that's your problem. Get rid of the lock washer and use a lock nut with a nylon insert. Make sure you leave some play when you tighten the nut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts