Halloween Forum banner

481 - 500 of 870 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow awesome job, ThxBoy!! Love the wheel and stance! :) I think the railing would be a nice touch.. I was thinking of something similar myself just didn't get around to it!

I still need to stain my bucky, but I did get the costume.. Not really happy with the costume as I was constrained for time.. I opted to buy the "prestige" Jack Sparrow costume and I'm disappointed!! I thought for the amount of money the costume was the detailing and quality would be a little better, but sadly it is not. The hat in the package is just metal wire inside cloth and you have to try and form it to look remotely like a hat and it bothers me a bunch!! All the belt straps are plastic and very brittle! This is why I hate buying store bought stuff instead of making it myself, but I wanted to get this project over with to move onto others, so when I bring my pirate stuff to my friends movie party I have more than just the helmsman! (I was originally going to do a decrepit looking pirate costume out of cheesecloth, but when I found out I was lending this to a friend for a Pirate of the Caribbean movie marathon at his house this month, I decided to go the Cursed Jack Sparrow route! Now if I can only learn how to use audacity and put together some good Jack Sparrow quotes!!!!)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks great beavervw! Can't wait to see the bucky corpsed a bit. Maybe since your jack sparrow costume wasn't the quality you were looking for you should think about aging it. Mud, webs and some distressing might help hiding the the flaws. I'm not sure how you would age polyester thought other than perhaps monster mud and paint?

·
crossfit zombie
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
Wow awesome job, ThxBoy!! Love the wheel and stance! :) I think the railing would be a nice touch.. I was thinking of something similar myself just didn't get around to it!

I still need to stain my bucky, but I did get the costume.. Not really happy with the costume as I was constrained for time.. I opted to buy the "prestige" Jack Sparrow costume and I'm disappointed!! I thought for the amount of money the costume was the detailing and quality would be a little better, but sadly it is not. The hat in the package is just metal wire inside cloth and you have to try and form it to look remotely like a hat and it bothers me a bunch!! All the belt straps are plastic and very brittle! This is why I hate buying store bought stuff instead of making it myself, but I wanted to get this project over with to move onto others, so when I bring my pirate stuff to my friends movie party I have more than just the helmsman! (I was originally going to do a decrepit looking pirate costume out of cheesecloth, but when I found out I was lending this to a friend for a Pirate of the Caribbean movie marathon at his house this month, I decided to go the Cursed Jack Sparrow route! Now if I can only learn how to use audacity and put together some good Jack Sparrow quotes!!!!)

I bought several of the child size custumes of the jack sparrow deluxe off shindigz last nov got them for like 7.00.I use them on my skellys they are shorter than yours but like you said they are over priced.When I saw them I was glad I didn't pay more.
He looks good.

·
2,617 Posts
Looks great!!! :)

Started putting together my ships wheel this weekend. Got the main pieces all setup and the mechanicals working. My plans now are to put a layer of foam board on the base, distress everything and start to paint.

I'm also considering a broken up railing on the port side....

Front View:

Side close up:

Back side

·
Registered
343 Posts
Todays progress.. Helmsman is near complete, and I started on a chest for me gold! Aged the bucky with Minwax Aged Oak gel stain! I think I over did the stain a bit, but it works. Not sure if I like the bleach white bone look better or not, but now it looks decrepit! Still need to get the hands to hold the wheel better, but for now it is just zip tied, so removal is very easy!

I did buy a new hat for my helmsman because the wire/cloth one with the costume was HORRENDOUS! I have about three different pirate hats now, but this is probably the coolest looking one and the cheapest I've found.

Amazon.com: Captain Jack Sparrow Hat: Clothing

I bought two of them and I'm pleased. I picked up a tricorn hat at the surplus store near me which is nicer quality fabric, but the shape and size of the hats I ordered from that link on amazon are a lot more PIRATEY! :) The color is a little light, but that is my only complaint! Won't be able to notice at night time!

Don't like the looks of it with the flash on!

Looks better in the dark, matey's!

I really want some Jack Sparrow quotes, but I'm not up to code on audio editing, so whatever I find/get I will share with those interested! Hopefully I have enough time, or I'm just going to use the routines from the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack I have! :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
@ beavervw

Looks awesome! Great job on the corpsing! The treasure chest is a great start too. Any ideas about what to fill it with yet?

@ bobzilla - Any thoughts about the best method to make a ton of cursed pirate gold? There used to be people who sold them on eBay but they were expensive and I would rather learn how myself. Since you're the master of mold making I thought you would have some good ideas.

·
Mistress of the 7 Seas
847 Posts
I bought a couple of the nice pirate coins to use as stamps. What I did was rolled air dry clay into balls and used the coins to press down on, ball of clay in the middle of two coins. Dried and painted them. This was a very quick and inexpensive way to make lots of the gold doubloons.

·
Registered
343 Posts
@thxboy Thanks for the compliments! I bought some gold coins off amazon.com 144 pieces for $5 or $6 bucks.. I know the oriental trading company has them too.. I'm going to make a false bottom, so I don't actually have to fill it up as Blade of the Moon also suggested! Buying some charger plates from Michaels or something and painting them gold.. Even adding some gems and pearls would be neat. I've seen some chests that have a disco ball or light underneath and everything is set on a piece of plastic and the light shines off the gold and gems and makes it sparkle something fierce, so I may do version 2.0 soon too :p I really wanted to buy a light organ and hook up a red light to a heart beat sound and put in a mason jar to look like Davey Jones heart.. might have time for that not sure yet!

I'm hoping bobzilla in addition to his barrels, seaweed, eels, etc.. will also sell his cursed pirate gold :p I loved the looks of it in his barrel pictures!

Awesome idea bucaneerbabe! I'm strapped for time, so I probably won't be able to do that, but that would be a good alternative!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I never thought of the disco ball deal..we just use those " flickering " batt op candles for pumpkins..the big round ones, and mount them in the lid of the chest out of sight. Gave a neat sparkle effect as well.

For Davey's heart have you looked for one of the POTC CD players that looks like the Dead Man's Chest ? It has a heart inside that lights up red , I think it might beat with the music..if it did I bet there is some way to make a cd that has no sound but still produces the pitches needed to make it thump.

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
I bought a ton of the gold coins and made a fake bottom for my chest. Then I went to flea markets and peddlars malls and got some plates for a dollar. You should try that you can find amazing things there

@thxboy Thanks for the compliments! I bought some gold coins off amazon.com 144 pieces for $5 or $6 bucks.. I know the oriental trading company has them too.. I'm going to make a false bottom, so I don't actually have to fill it up as Blade of the Moon also suggested! Buying some charger plates from Michaels or something and painting them gold.. Even adding some gems and pearls would be neat. I've seen some chests that have a disco ball or light underneath and everything is set on a piece of plastic and the light shines off the gold and gems and makes it sparkle something fierce, so I may do version 2.0 soon too :p I really wanted to buy a light organ and hook up a red light to a heart beat sound and put in a mason jar to look like Davey Jones heart.. might have time for that not sure yet!

I'm hoping bobzilla in addition to his barrels, seaweed, eels, etc.. will also sell his cursed pirate gold :p I loved the looks of it in his barrel pictures!

Awesome idea bucaneerbabe! I'm strapped for time, so I probably won't be able to do that, but that would be a good alternative!

481 - 500 of 870 Posts