Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently moved back to our home state so this will be the first time in roughly 20 years that my whole family will be together. We are all doing one big Pirate yard display, party and parade float. I’ve been pouring over everyone’s pirate threads and posts. Such inspiring work.

We will be getting together once a month to make props starting In Jan. I’ll post pics as we complete our props.

So questions for my pirate pros. Best place to get rope? I need rope for sails. Also rum barrels, what is the best way to make them?

Has anyone ever done a pirate parade float?

Thanks so much for your input everyone :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
The cheapest place I found sisal rope was Dollar General. This youtube tutorial is a great way to build cheap realistic barrels: https://youtu.be/T3aMCEkyWH8

We built a parade float (last minute in one night) for a high school homecoming parade by using a utility trailer and zip-tying large pieces of cardboard to the sides and back that we cut in the shape of a ship. Painted it up and used a cardboard carpet tube in a bucket filled with quilckcrete for the mast. White sheets for sails and a dollar store jolly roger finished it off. I will see if I can find some pics. It wasn't perfect but everyone seemed to love it.

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it and love the link. Post pics if you can find them :) the float is just for our small town so I’m not going insane with it anyway. Wasn’t sure to use cardboard, styrofoam sheets or plywood. Definitely cardboard would be the cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I looked at Lowes site and 4'x8' 1/4" plywood is $20 a sheet. If you want to re-use or re-purpose a pirate parade float it might be expensive but worth it to use plywood. But if it's a one time thing and you won't use it again then I'd be tempted to use cardboard. You are right, it's cheap and with some shellac or something can be made weather resistant. It can be sturdy stuff too, I've made furniture out of it ( a chair and small couch and lots of duct tape).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Pirate theme here this year! I ordered rope off aliexpress. You may have more options being in the US, but I found the price reasonable compared to most Canadian places.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I saw Haunted Overload is doing a pirate ship this year. Might be worth keeping an eye on their posts on different pages.

Pirates of Emerson has a parade float that they incorporate into their haunt. Check out their Youtube channel for a lot of great ideas.

There were a couple of ship builds on the Haunt Project page before it went down, one with cardboard and one with a canvas tarp for the side.

Take a look at some of the high-end prop sites for other ideas. If I ever do a pirate haunt I want to build a couple of dueling pirates like Scarefactory has but with just an SUV rear wiper motor to make them move back and forth.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I can't quite get my head around pirates as Halloween, PoTC notwithstanding. I need to though because there are SO MANY Pirate assets in the game I am playing and building a huge Halloween theme park in. I don't know why it just doesn't click for me.

1,277 Posts
I'm going to be peeking in on this thread. We said we'd never do a pirate halloween... it's just not us. That said it's seems to be a pirate summer for my geocaching group, In Aug they're are putting together a tall ship sailing, It's been hinted the big end of summer event will have a pirate theme. Since we're holding the summer picnic in the shadow of Fort Nisqually... The oldest building in Washington State and the last known Hudson Bay Co building in the US plus the site is on the Sound, pirates storming the fort sounds like a no brainer to us.

Don't need props, though a good selfie photo station we can reuse would be fun. We're more in need of recipes for food, decorations and music... is there pirate music? I know I want to turn a cooler or two into treasure chests to hold the soda and water... but after that I'm at a loss.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
I'm with Stinkerbell on this one. Pirates? I don't get it. How or when did they become synonymous with Halloween? I see a Pirate party as more of a mid-summer bash... They don't scare me. Unless the pirate in question also happens to be a dentist...

1,277 Posts
Pirates are a kinda big summery thing here thanks to Seafair. So maybe I've become desensitized to them... After 3 or so months of the Seafair Pirates in nearly EVERY local summer parade or any event that has the word Seafair in it by Sept the theme has been over played.

Thanks for the music links I"ll check them out. I like having some kind of background music and was hoping to find something other then just ocean waves. Nothing like a little Yo Ho and a Bottle of Rum worming it's way into folks ears to get them in the mood.

I have come up with my pirate selfie booth idea. Frog build an arch for a prop we didn't get finished in time. The plan is to use some kind of underwater scene setter or fabric at the back of the arch. Make a ton of garbage bag seaweed to hang on the arch. Found some pictures on pinterest of pool noodle corals and attach the pirate pose and stay skellies I got from Costco 2 years ago. Kicking myself now that I didn't buy any skelly fish when they are out last Halloween, they would have been cool dangling from the top of the arch... Hindsight is always 20/20.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts