Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my neighbor and I are splitting the cost of a replacement privacy fence between our two properties. I'm taking down my old wooden stockade fence, and it's leaving me with a bunch of sections of weathered slatted panels and 4x4 posts.

I've decided to turn this scrap heap into a Pirate Shipwreck. I can use my existing captain's helm, and crow's nest to add some character. Construction won't begin until October as I have to build this sucker in place, but I wanted to share my excitement on the "free" supplies.

I'm hoping this will be a low-cost high-impact prop to take my haunt to new level this season. I'll post my progress when I get started! Wish me luck!

-dgm

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Good luck with it. All the pictures i have ever seen of people doing a shipwreck are really cool but really time consuming. Lots of luck to you though.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Best of luck! Good deal on getting to keep all the weathered boards!

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Nothing better than pre-weathered fence boards. Great for coffins, cabins, shacks, and shipwrecks.

Best of luck on your build -- keep up posted with lots of pics!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
So my neighbor and I are splitting the cost of a replacement privacy fence between our two properties. I'm taking down my old wooden stockade fence, and it's leaving me with a bunch of sections of weathered slatted panels and 4x4 posts.

I've decided to turn this scrap heap into a Pirate Shipwreck. I can use my existing captain's helm, and crow's nest to add some character. Construction won't begin until October as I have to build this sucker in place, but I wanted to share my excitement on the "free" supplies.

I'm hoping this will be a low-cost high-impact prop to take my haunt to new level this season. I'll post my progress when I get started! Wish me luck!

-dgm
If you are looking for an interesting theme, I come from an area where locals in the 18th century used to light beacons to draw ships in and wreck them on the treacherous sands. They then used to patrol the shore and look for corpses or survivors and used little hatchets to chop the fingers off people who had rings on. They were called the Gwyr y Bwelli Bach - translates as men of the little hatchets.

Link here: Burry Port Yacht Club

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for checking in!

I haven't started building it yet, just have a few sketches of how I want it to look. I have a good amount of material, so I hope I'll be able to construct what I have pictured in my head. That's going to be the real challenge.

I probably will be building this thing in-place, so October 1 is going to be the approximate start date.

I've only completed one prop so far this year, which I'll post later this week once I snag a video of it. I feel so far behind...

-DGM

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a bit of a jump start on the shipwreck. Last weekend, I completed the basic frame and exterior of the sunken bow section. Here's a pic of it so far:

I thought I was going to have to build this in place, but we can fit a hand truck under the front corner, and the back of it can be lifted. We'll be able to move this into place sometime in the next few weeks.

If the weather permits, I'd like start on the stern section this weekend. This part will be larger and oriented level to the ground, and I'll have to assemble it in-place. It's going to be extremely heavy.

I'll try to keep posting pics as it develops.

-dgm

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,645 Posts
HEEEEEYYYY!!! That's looking really good so far!! can't wait to see more!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Heres one I did last year. Let me know of you need any advice. #1, lighting is everything... #2 No, I cant get the moon placed perfect for you..i was REAL lucky!! LOL

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice job on that ship, tjlwolf. I couldn't agree more about the lighting. I have some ideas for lighting the ship, so we'll see how that goes.

Here's an update on the progress. This past weekend I built the stern section. I know I keep saying I'll be building it all in-place, but I decided to go a bit more modular than I had originally planned, which allows me to keep it under wraps until I'm happy with displaying it. A hand truck under the heavy end should allow me to position it in place next weekend, I hope. Just one more section to build, then it's on to the detail work.

Anyhow, here's a pic of the stern with our anchor that came yesterday. The anchor will actually be hanging off the bow, but it's a nice touch for the build photo ;)

-dgm

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,115 Posts
Very nice build, love the idea of a modular shipwreck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Help!!!!!

I'm so impressed with everyone's work. I am planning on starting my shipwreck this weekend. Any tips/tricks/advice/INSTRUCTIONS/measurements or the like would be greatly appreciated. Especially for the bow. I have some ideas about the stern.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm so impressed with everyone's work. I am planning on starting my shipwreck this weekend. Any tips/tricks/advice/INSTRUCTIONS/measurements or the like would be greatly appreciated. Especially for the bow. I have some ideas about the stern.
I think it depends on the material you're using. Since I'm using old fence boards, I'm restricted to dimensions that fit the fence sections, and am building it entirely out of wood. I also need to ensure I can fit it through my gate to the front yard.

Few tips:
- Save money by using what you have. I've spent only $44 on nothing but 2x4s so far.
- Use the right tools. I have a pneumatic framing nailer which is making assembly quick since it's only me building it. Other great tools: Compound mitre saw, circular saw, reciprocating saw.
- Buy more material than you think you need. I'm already out of lumber, and I have one more module to build. Overestimate by 20%.
- Draw up your plans before building. This has helped guide me through the build process, and I've managed to stay very close to my vision.
- Have fun!​

Good luck with your build. I should have more progress this weekend to share.

-dgm

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Construction Complete!

Finally finished construction of the shipwreck this weekend! It's setup in the yard, and only needs some final finishing touches and details:

Starting to feel a little less stressed now ;)

-dgm

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
WOW!!! AMAZING!!! The hard part looks like it's over - now to start decorating and putting on the details - the fun stuff!!

This will be friggin' awesome by the time you are all done!!!

:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts