Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a Pirate ship for my yard next year and have been researching many threads on here. I keep seeing people referring to a certain post on how to build a pirate ship. But I can't find it! LOL
I want something to do a shipwreck or a half a ship not a lifesize ship UNLESS it is somewhat simple I could do bigger? Thank you for all of your input! I know we have some amazing pirate ship builders on here and any pics of them too would be great! I just like to dream ;)

A

·
0 Posts
This one I think is the one a lot of people keep talking about.

SoCalHalloween

I did one, not really a how-to but a few pics for an idea.
Pirate Shipwreck

I know Lynn did one and I believe Pumpkinprincess did one as well.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ELH, here's another link, same project http://hauntedmansion-northside.blog...rate-ship.html (I tried responding to a question you had left about this but durned if I know if I did it right). Both this one and the socal links have pictures of all the different build stages, with some pretty good descriptions as well on the northside.blog site. You should try doing it--I'm pretty addicted to styro insulation sheets now, you can make that stuff look like almost anything.

·
I make dead things deader
4,565 Posts
I don't remember where I saw this guys tutorial, it may have been here. But I thought this ship looks really awesome. There are about 25 pictures and a set of plans and I downloaded all of them. It looked like a really easy build. PM me if you want all the pics which go from frame to finish.

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
Where does one store a prop that big? :eek:
Are you asking me? The metal framing (support wall) I keep in my garage for other projects. The plywood "ribs" all come apart to pieces no longer than 8' which are bundled together. Currently, I keep them and the cannons in a small storage unit along with some other pieces I've built. The "skin" was thrown away, since it was just stiffened fabric.

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
I love the designs of the ships created by Lynn and aSmarterU.

LV Scott T, man, I'm amazed everytime I see the photos of your ship. That thing looks like it was a massive undertaking. Is it still for sale? ;)

Erin, there are so many different approaches you can take in designing a pirate ship for Halloween. Consider how much time and money you want to put into it. That way you can get an idea of the scale and materials needed. The foam-based designs are really cool, but I imagine they require a lot of time to construct. The wood-based designs are probably more expensive and more difficult to store unless you completely disassemble it each year.

In my first attempt, I went with a simple design that uses chicken wire, cardboard, and contact paper. I used it to convert my front porch into a ship with the bow extending from one end. It was cheap, fast to construct and easy to store, but after a couple years of wet weather, it is time to send it to Davy Jones' locker. This year, I will go with a wood ship using aSmarterU's design.

A

·
0 Posts
This year, I will go with a wood ship using aSmarterU's design.
Thanks Haunter ... it was easy to build and I made it so it would come apart and fit through a 36" standard door opening. I didn't really measure anything else so if you need more info, I can probably take a few for you. I actually tried to use the 1" foam but it kept breaking so the canvas was my second choice.

Wood frame structure ( you can see the blue foam in the background I had left over because I couldn't get it attached :eek: )

1/2 Frame Section on side

Good luck and post pics when you get it done! :)

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
I actually tried to use the 1" foam but it kept breaking so the canvas was my second choice.
The canvas looks good. Did you consider using 5 mm luan plywood on the outside? The stuff is so thin and flexible. Check out this boat created using luan.

aSmarterU, what size wood did you use for the frame? Did you have to soak the wood to get it to curve?

A

·
0 Posts
The canvas looks good. Did you consider using 5 mm luan plywood on the outside? The stuff is so thin and flexible. Check out this boat created using luan.

aSmarterU, what size wood did you use for the frame? Did you have to soak the wood to get it to curve?
At the time, I was over my prop budget for the year so I had to use what I had that was free! :) The canvas was an old billboard ad you see on the side of the highways. There were 25 available for free so I took 1 but had no idea what I was going to do with it.

All the framing was done with 1in x 3in x 8ft lumber and a few pieces of scrap 2in x 4in for the spacers. None of the wood had to be soaked to bend, but it did take the Mrs to help hold things in place so I could attach it with screws.

It has 5 bolts to attach the 2 sections together.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts