Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there from the Netherlands

Its been a while since i last posted something but i have been working for this years pirate halloween display.

i have made a pirate cannon which shoots smoke from the barrel. i am pretty content with how it worked out but there is always room for improvement.
i also wanted to connect a subwoofer to it to create a sound effect but i have no idea how. Maybe someone on the forum knows a little bit more how to make that possible.

I have put in a YouTube link for you to see it work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64c09qe7_Xs

If you can give me any feedback what i can do to make work better or look better that would be great.

greeting to all!

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
For my cannons,

I used an arduino to control them.

I had 2" pvc piping the fog which also acted as a reservoir of sorts
a 30 gallon air tank with 3/4" garden hose and sprinkler valves to fire each (8 cannons total)
Each cannon also had a Amber light that would flash
and of course the audio to a single 15" 300w subwoofer.

the arduino would randomly fire the cannons and the occasional volley.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Looks really good! I can't tell if you have a light in there to simulate the muzzle flash but that would be something to consider if you don't.

Synching sound would be tricky without using a controller board of some kind. How are you controlling the fog now?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thnx for the feedback!

no i dont have a light in the cannon wanted to but didnt start it because of the same problem as with the sound. i dont know how to synchronize them. its just a smoke machine connected to some plumbing pipes wich go in to the cannon and the end is at the top of the cannon i added some pictures to see. IMAG0261.jpg IMAG0262.jpg

I know a few things about arduino but i am no master in it so maybe that can help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For my cannons,

I used an arduino to control them.

I had 2" pvc piping the fog which also acted as a reservoir of sorts
a 30 gallon air tank with 3/4" garden hose and sprinkler valves to fire each (8 cannons total)
Each cannon also had a Amber light that would flash
and of course the audio to a single 15" 300w subwoofer.

the arduino would randomly fire the cannons and the occasional volley.
Sure would be neat to see your cannon! I would like to build one just as you described. I currently have the barrel roughly shaped out and a four banger controller put together and just thinking what steps to take next and how to execute them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sure would be neat to see your cannon! I would like to build one just as you described. I currently have the barrel roughly shaped out and a four banger controller put together and just thinking what steps to take next and how to execute them.
My stuff is all packed away deep in the bowels of my ship.... for the canons, I used...

air tank from harbor freight, remove the hose / guage

sprinkler manifold and additional, depends on how many canons you want to power. I ran 4 off each air tank. You will also need to get fittings to plumb to the air tank.

And an arduino uno to trigger the sound, flash a red light and open the sprinkler valves causing the blast.

The canons themselves are just 6" pvc pipe with 2 end caps.
The muzzle has a 2.5" hole drilled in the cap. (I used foam pipe insulation glued around the edge to make the profile more canon like.)
The rear has a 2" hole (for the fog plumbing) and a garden hose connector (found in the pvc pipe section of home depot) I used 3/4 garden hose to the sprinkler valves.

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does anybody have any good cannon firing tracks/sound clips. Its harder than I thought to put together an ambient track that works nicely with cannon firing sounds and I'm not too experienced editing and mixing. I just have one cannon and I want it to fire off a few times when triggered, and just a swampy ambient track. I was attempting to clip some sequences from a movie or something but it challenging and sounds too busy. I suppose it would be neat to have a pirate say something like "fire away", or "watch out!" but not necessary. I will deff post pics when I get this baby up and going.
Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does anybody have any good cannon firing tracks/sound clips. Its harder than I thought to put together an ambient track that works nicely with cannon firing sounds and I'm not too experienced editing and mixing. I just have one cannon and I want it to fire off a few times when triggered, and just a swampy ambient track. I was attempting to clip some sequences from a movie or something but it challenging and sounds too busy. I suppose it would be neat to have a pirate say something like "fire away", or "watch out!" but not necessary. I will deff post pics when I get this baby up and going.
Thanks
When I did mine, I just did a google search for "sound effect free canon".

There are many sites out there with clips that you can use. Try http://soundbible.com/tags-cannon.html

if you search the forums, there are some posts with links to ambiant loop tracks, and if you cant find one you like, reach out to Darklord, he is the sound effect king.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts