Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to make a pirate scene this year and am looking for both ideas for props to use as well as specific sources of props.

So far my list includes (see Amazon - this does include duplicates, right now it's just a kitchen sink of ideas):
  • Fish netting (backdrop, also used to help hide wires associated with an animatronic I'm building)
  • Treasure chest
  • Gold/silver/etc. coins
  • Assorted precious gems (plastic)
  • Bronze compass
  • Telescope (the one I currently have in my wish list also has a box with it)
  • Antique style lock with keys (to put on or next to the chest)
  • Treasure map
  • Pirate flag
  • Rolled up canvas (Amazon - actually a pencil holder, but if I keep it rolled up, I think it will work well as a map cover or something similar)
Props/ideas I need to flesh out:
  • Near-full size skeleton (I've heard about the Costco Skelly, but I don't have a membership and I don't know when they start selling them typically)
  • Barrel for skeleton pirate to sit in (see: http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/135465-bought-these-barrel-planters-sale-costco-today-7-3-14-a.html#post1630260 as inspiration/stolen idea - love it Danski!)
  • Bottle(s) of wine/rum/etc. for skeleton pirate
  • Pirate hat
  • Pirate clothing (probably will go to a local costume store to look, but also looking for specific suggestions)
  • Any additional booty (I'm thinking of some sort of necklaces, maybe some random things you might find at a governor's mansion from the ~18th century)
  • Flintlock pistol
  • Pirate sword
  • Full size skull (I have found a bunch out there, but I'm looking for suggestions as well)
  • Canvas sail (saw this as inspiration)
Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hobby lobby and Michaels have great netting (Michaels has multiple sizes)...both stores have 40% off coupons.

My coins I'm also getting at hobby lobby, after coupon I paid just 1.93 for 72 coins...everywhere else has been a minimum of 4.99 (+ship/tax) for 144 coins

I even saw some great chests at hobby lobby (med size was on sale for $40 large was $90)...no coupons on this item though due to the sale...I actually made mine from paper mache...but there's all kinds of trunks u can repurpose

For skeletons, Walgreens puts out some for $30
Barrels r pricey...they usually fun $75+ on craigslidt, I'm making mine from foam...super easy

Costumes, accessories. ..goodwill, garage sales....spirit has a clearance going on with quite a few things in it pirate related

R u on pinterest? I have my pinterest account in my signature, I have a pirates board with tons of stuff. Plus there's a bunch of us doing pirates that post here http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/124363-we-all-doing-pirates-theme-next-year-right.html

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hobby lobby and Michaels have great netting (Michaels has multiple sizes)...both stores have 40% off coupons.

My coins I'm also getting at hobby lobby, after coupon I paid just 1.93 for 72 coins...everywhere else has been a minimum of 4.99 (+ship/tax) for 144 coins

I even saw some great chests at hobby lobby (med size was on sale for $40 large was $90)...no coupons on this item though due to the sale...I actually made mine from paper mache...but there's all kinds of trunks u can repurpose

For skeletons, Walgreens puts out some for $30
Barrels r pricey...they usually fun $75+ on craigslidt, I'm making mine from foam...super easy

Costumes, accessories. ..goodwill, garage sales....spirit has a clearance going on with quite a few things in it pirate related

R u on pinterest? I have my pinterest account in my signature, I have a pirates board with tons of stuff. Plus there's a bunch of us doing pirates that post here http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/124363-we-all-doing-pirates-theme-next-year-right.html
Thanks pumpkinpie. Unfortunately, I refuse to shop at Hobby Lobby, so their selection is off the table.
Re: Skeletons: I did come across the Skeleton Factory, which has a good selection though is on the pricier side. I did find this which I love: Fangs the Skeleton Spider. I did also come across one at the Garden Store (goes by a different name here, but same store) for $30 IIRC. The joints were so-so, but it had the right look.
Re: Chests: I'm still on the lookout for those, I'll keep searching online and probably hit up some crafts stores and/or garage sales/craigslist soon.
Re: Barrels: I did come across a rubbery half barrel at the Garden Store as well. It was pretty lightweight given its size and was reasonably priced (I don't recall exactly, but something like $30-50). I'll check that one out again later today. I remember wanting to find one that was bigger if I could.
I'm not on pintrest, but I did see the thread a while ago and was reading through parts of it earlier this morning.

Hi pcman312,
If you are looking for a great talking skull, I can help you there.
http://www.audioservocontroller.com
I'm not looking for an animatronic skull for this scene since I'm going to have other animatronics in the scene that I want to grab the attention.

Also, check out www.oriental.com, they've always got fun stuff. Cheap too!
Thanks halloweenscreamqueen! I'll definitely look through their listings.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by pcman312

I'm not looking for an animatronic skull for this scene since I'm going to have other animatronics in the scene that I want to grab the attention.

One can never have too many animatronics! :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote Originally Posted by pcman312

One can never have too many animatronics! :D
Given the area that this will be living, I disagree. Especially since the one I'm building will be triggered off of motion sensor and they could end up triggering each other and bugging the hell out of people in the area (since this is in an office, not outdoors). I'd love to have an animatronic skull (I could certainly put it in a different location) but I can't justify the money on it this year.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can find the best accessories and pirate clothing at thrift stores. It just takes a significant time investment because the stock is always changing. We've done a pirate theme for 5 years or so and have gotten some good candelabras and metal platters from Goodwill.

To minimize the number of coins needed, we made treasure piles from Great Stuff on plywood backing. Paint the Great Stuff gold and hot glue coins, necklaces, and "jewels" (the decorative stones from Michaels).

I may be wrong, but I think the skeletons from Walgreens are the same as the ones from Costco. We have a number of Walgreens skellies and have not been disappointed (sometimes they loose a fingerbone, but that just makes them more authentic).

For treasure chests, thrift stores may have smaller ones (you'd be surprised how many decorative storage boxes can "read" as treasure chests with the right accessories). You can also buy unfinished wooden ones at JoAnn's or Michaels [we don't do Hobby Lobby either], but they can be pricey (use the 40% off coupon!) and the quality can be iffy.

For the bottles, we went to Big Lots and strolled the drink aisle looking for any glass bottles with interesting shapes. Soak off the labels, fill with colored water, put a cork in and seal with wax. They've held up for years now.

You can buy good plastic pistols at Halloween stores. Give 'em a new coat of paint topped by dry-brushing and it is amazing how good they can look!

We lucked into a big plastic lock last year - it had an ugly paint job but once we were done painting it, it looked great. Good keys are easier to find.

I would strongly argue against using pirate costumes from a store. They are just too cheesy looking. You can assemble a nice pirate outfit from thrift stores. You'll want brownish or striped pants in cotton or linen (cut to length and make the bottoms jagged), natural-colored long-sleeved shirts in the right texture (not t-shirts), and vests. We find that women's clothing fits the skeletons better, and they also have styles that are more appropriate for a pirate. Add a belt with a nice big buckle and you are in business! Most of our pirates have doo-rags made from fabric scraps; only the captain gets a big hat with a feather in it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
566 Posts
pcman312, great list of stuff for your pirate display. I also have a pirate display (ship) in the Haunted Forest. As others have suggested most of the things on your list you can purchase relatively cheaply from various web stores and local stores or thrift shops. Gems and jewels you can get in bulk from oriental trading.com (they have free shipping right now) or local party stores. Skeleton factory has great skeletons but I can't afford them. I get mine from Walmart or Walgreens. Pretty lifelike and at about $30 not a bad price. Pirate clothes I get from thrift stores. I made my coins from poker chips I bought at a thrift store. $2.00 for almost 200 chips. Just got the paint out and painted them gold and silver. Pirate flag around $10 from a variety of websites that carry flags. My ship's sail is an 8' x 12' canvas drop cloth that I bought from Harbor Freight for $12.00 on sale. Mast and yardarm are 3' and 2' pvc pipe from Lowes. I just saw a really neat pirate-type chest at a local thrift store for $25. Jewelry? Great idea...we have a local Dollar Jewelry store here that is a great source for this, or thrift stores, or again in bulk from oriental trading.com. Flintlock pistol and pirate sword...Spirit Halloween has pretty realistic looking ones that do not cost too much. Authentic ones will set you back a fortune. The really big ticket item on your list are the barrels. If you want real wood barrels be prepared to pay a bunch then find a place to store them. There are lots of ideas on this form on how to make barrels from various things. Over the last few years I have made several from plastic 1/2 barrel planters that have a wooden design on them. These are similar to the ones Danski made. You can get these from Walmart, Lowes, or practically any place that sells planters. You just put two of the 1/2 barrels together to make one barrel. The advantage is they are light weight, cheap and easy to make, look pretty good, and are easy to store after Halloween. Here is a photo of mine. Pay no attention to the crappy skeleton. He was just handy for a prop when I took the photo.

Pirate & Barrell 1.jpg

If you are interested you can click on the website below to see how to make it. Just click on the "How to Make A Barrel" button on the website. You might also consider having a couple of "deadeyes" for your display. They are easy to make and add a little realism to the scene. I have a thread on the forum that shows how to make them.

Deadeye On Ship.jpg

Pirate displays are always great fun. I can't wait to see photos of your pirate display.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Apart from our puking pirate (who will be spending the evening heaving into a barrel), we are working on a rowboat, for a couple of skellies. it's almost done, and I'll be posting a video once we've completed everything. Should be soon. One of the design criteria was, of course, the ability to store the darn thing off-season... so it's completely collapseable. It folds down to a little over 1.5 inches thick. Takes almost no space at all. Otherwise, Mrs. Creepy will have my head! LOL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Grab a friend, stop and get a cup of your favorite coffee, then Garage Sale, Garage Sale, Garage Sale all day Saturday. Wife and I have been doing this for a few years now and the things you can find dirt cheap are amazing. Found a very large trunk big enough for me to fit into for 20 bucks! We always make sure to ask for any Halloween stuff because they may have it in the basement or attic and never thought to put it out. And we never pay asking price either, always room for negotiations. Im doing pirates as my main theme for the first time this year and have found shirts, a few hats and lots of misc to help. Good luck and happy hunting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts