Halloween Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Quick and Dirty Cannons

Made 4 quick cannons last night out of PVC and Styrofoam. didn't want to spend a lot of time on them considering they will be seen at night, from a distance, threw the fog, under colored lights. I will antique them tonight.

The last pic is the trim for the front of the ship. Need to do some more painting on it before nailing it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Wasn't the best weekend her in the south for working outdoors. It rained Saturday afternoon and on and off all day Sunday. I managed to get a little done Saturday morning before the monsoon hit. I attached the Cannons and the bow trim to the ship. I also cut out and anchor, but forgot to take a pic of it finished.

I have also included pictures of the vertical 4" pvc pipe holes in the yard that will support the walls. You can see the plug sitting next to the hole that I use the rest of the year.

Good Luck Pirates! We are in the home stretch. 18 days and counting. ARRRRRR

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Looks like the weathers going to be nice this weekend. Had to go to the Dr. this week to get cortisone shots in the knees so that I'll be ready for Halloween! Got lots still to build, including the masts and sailes.

Finished the anchor. It was a quickie, but it'll look good under the lights.

Got to go! Daylights Burning. Have a good weekend y'all.
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Looks like the weathers going to be nice this weekend. Had to go to the Dr. this week to get cortisone shots in the knees so that I'll be ready for Halloween! Got lots still to build, including the masts and sails.

Finished the anchor. It was a quickie, but it'll look good under the lights.

Got to go! Daylights Burning. Have a good weekend y'all.
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Stared working out the spacing this weekend. I kinda knew where I wanted everything, but needed to see it all out. I would like some more pilings but have run out of Pine logs so, I'll just have to make due.

Built the support wall and drug out the board walk. Installed "Kenways". Its's all pallet wood so I don't have to worry about it in the weather. some of the other buildings are made from Masonite so I don't want them to get wet for long periods of time.

Started on the full size cannons. They have always been on the to do list but just now getting around to them. Hopefully they will be finished in time. Otherwise they will have to wait till next time I do Pirates.

Good luck all!

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Its getting Close!

Was a great weekend for building. I started p[putting out the Board walk and buildings, as well as the mast. I will bring the ship out on Halloween day and put up the last building. I'm using old sheets from goodwill for the sails. to make them more uniform, I aged them with 3
colors of watered down paint to look like mildew and stains. Also,worked on the cannons. I have the first coat of paint on them but didn't get a pic because it was too dark.

I'm real please with the board walk. Everything went up well. I was suppose to have help but they never showed up so I had to do it all myself. The roofs and widows walk were a little tricky but i got it up. Everything is screwed together and tied to the trees behind just for safety. It was much sturdier than I had expected.

I was worried about the Mast but they went up easier than I expected. I lashed them all together on the ground then raised them into place. The base of the poles are buried 3 feet in the ground and there are guide rope in all 4 directions. The masts are 21 &23 feet. to date these are the tallest props I have ever done.

I'm already getting people walking up in the yard and taking pictures and asking questions. cant wait til Friday!

Have a great week!
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
Black Bart

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Halloween went well

The weather threw a little kink in the plans. It rained Friday afternoon during the final set up, but wasn't too bad. Then it sprinkled on and off during TOT and was between 35-40 degrees.

My numbers were way down this year. We had 770 TOTs. So, all together I probably had around 1500-2000 people between Tots and parents/adults. It was a nice manageable crowd and we never had a line.

Over all the night went well. I have 2 friends who are trained sword fighters put on a show every 15-20 minute. There were wenches greeting the crowd in the driveway and chatting people up at the brothel. Ironically I had 3 wenches call in sick - I assume that's an occupational hazard when you are whoring in the 1700's! I had plenty of Pirates hanging out at Black Bart's Pirate Pub.

Saturday was another story. I woke up to 3.5 inches of snow! For those of you who don't know me, I live in NC. We DON'T get snow the day after Halloween. According to the news it hasn't happened since 1929. But at least it was a god excuse to stay in the house and rest.

Hope everyone had a GREAT HALLOWEEN!
Eric - ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
More Pics

Along with Saturdays record breaking snow storm we also had 70 mph winds that broke one of the masts. It was tied down in all 4 directions so it couldn't go anywhere but down. I was a little surprised it broke. The sheets are only stapled at the bottom and ruff cut to dimension with no hem. It was about 5-6 inches in diameter at the break.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Thanks, Punkineater.

It was one of my bigger builds. Ill bring it back in about 3 years. I'm already revamping the idea for next time. I would like to build another ship and have them battle across the yard. I have also thought about taking the center 4' section out and replacing it with a shorter 8' stage section. That way we can do the skits from the deck of the SS Fabulous! I'm also considering adding a Mermaid.

But at this rate, I'm not sure if I will have enough room left in the warehouse. Pirates took up far more space than I expected. All the buildings come apart and lean flat against the wall, the board walk stacks one on top of another and the creates all stack in one another and on top of the board walk. However, the ship comes apart but doesn't stack. Not to mention the 24' masts are sitting in the floor. I need to figure our some way to hang them from the ceiling with out sagging.

Eric

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Thanks, Punkineater.

It was one of my bigger builds. Ill bring it back in about 3 years. I'm already revamping the idea for next time. I would like to build another ship and have them battle across the yard. I have also thought about taking the center 4' section out and replacing it with a shorter 8' stage section. That way we can do the skits from the deck of the SS Fabulous! I'm also considering adding a Mermaid.

But at this rate, I'm not sure if I will have enough room left in the warehouse. Pirates took up far more space than I expected. All the buildings come apart and lean flat against the wall, the board walk stacks one on top of another and the creates all stack in one another and on top of the board walk. However, the ship comes apart but doesn't stack. Not to mention the 24' masts are sitting in the floor. I need to figure our some way to hang them from the ceiling with out sagging.

Eric
Go big or go home right? The battling ships idea is great! Yes, definitely need a mermaid too.
My husband was quaking in his boots when I showed him your pics...out of both amazeballs
and "please God, don't let her get any more ideas".
I see you are possibly going to take on the facade entrance from AHS?! Well I say, if anybody can pull it off, you can~
lots of fans rooting you on :D

61 - 80 of 89 Posts