Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
That is absolutely fantastic. Wow. My mother-in-law was a tech theatre teacher for years and has two ships in her backyard. She'd be envious of your build for sure.
SaltwaterServr, Would love to see pics of mother-in-laws ships. I always love to see what other people builds for inspiration.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Was a productive weekend. Got most of the ship sided and the windows on the Aft Castle cut out. Murphy's law was is full effect, I ran out of staples on the very last board of siding and didn't get to finish. I'll have to run to Lowes tonight on my way home for more supplies. Still need to cut out the cannon ports.

later Pirates!
E

Attachments

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
Amazing job! I would love to build my own pirate fleet, but I just don't have skills nor patience.

·
Registered
268 Posts
SaltwaterServr, Would love to see pics of mother-in-laws ships. I always love to see what other people builds for inspiration.
There's not much to be inspired by in the photos I could dig up. On the bigger one, we've built a suspension bridge from the ship across to a "lookout" tower so the kiddos can run back and forth. There's a hammock underneath this one. There used to be two sails, but the HOA had thoughts otherwise.

pirata.jpg

Second one is the "good ship lollipop". Both are really for the kiddos to play around on and hide in. We've talked about adding twin cannons on one that would be 6" PVC with nylon bungee tie downs as the propulsion source.

lolli.jpg

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I'm very fortunate that My parents own several warehouse about and hour away. When the economy tanked in 08 they had problems renting them so I was able to take over one. I share it with several other people but for the most part, I have room to store almost anything but it is getting full. I will have to go threw and clean it up this year to get all the pirate stuff in. It has high ceilings so i can go as tall as needed. I may have to start thinking about building a loft. I already have shelves that are 8 feet tall. The Mayan Pyramid from 2012 is stacked almost to the ceiling. I'll try to get pics of it the next time I'm down.

But for now, I have pirate stuff EVERYWHERE at home. There are pirate buildings on the front and back porches, the garage is full with the ship, and my outside storage is crammed with the mast, moorings and pirate bar.the loft is full of other decorations and I have treasure maps and wanted posters on the kitchen counter where I've been antiquing them in the evenings. My house always looks a little chaotic before Halloween. I've considered leaving up all the decorations year around but haven't convinced myself that its a good thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Slow weekend

I had hoped to get more done but just wasn't meant to be. I added some details to the ship on Saturday. The trim was a pain in the butt. I had to take it off and redo it several times to get the curve I wanted. Still not very happy with it. Got the Cannon holes framed out and boxed in. Started trimming out the windows until the blade on the band saw broke. Have to go to S.C. to get a new one.

Didn't even get the ship out of the garage on Sunday. I needed a break from it so I worked on other projects instead. Made a sign for Tortuga and a parapet wall for Capt. Morgans house (not pictured). Also finished gable end of Black Bart's. Just for fun, I made a set of stocks. I told the neighbor kid it was for him. His father asked to borrow it. His mother wants to put him in it, in the front yard. As she puts it "theirs nothing wrong with a little public shaming". A woman after my own heart!

Hope y'all Had a productive weekend! Octobers almost here.

Happy Haunting Pirates,

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Not a great pic, but this is a chair I made a couple of months ago for the Pirate bar. I found this great old chair frame at Goodwill. The caning was busted out. So, I cut a circle out some old plywood, covered it with padding and upholstered it with burlap. After I was finished, I drew the skull and cross bones on with markers. I would love to find a whole set of mismatched chairs to do this with. It was super easy and cheap.

10-1-14 better pics of chair added

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Found this at Lowes for $20. Works great to about 15 feet, after that the blues begins to fade out. I will probably use about 3 to cover the front yard.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Not a great pic, but this is a chair I made a couple of months ago for the Pirate bar. I found this great old chair frame at Goodwill. The caning was busted out. So, I cut a circle out some old plywood, covered it with padding and upholstered it with burlap. After I was finished, I drew the skull and cross bones on with markers. I would love to find a whole set of mismatched chairs to do this with. It was super easy and cheap.

10-1-14 better pics of chair added
With markers???? Omg I'm so jealous of your talent....it's absolutely beautiful! !!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ahoy! Thank you for sharing your Pirates adventure with us. As a fellow pirate enthusiast, I can't wait to see the final product!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Fall has finally arrived in the mountains of Western North Carolina. We thought it would never get here but it came in on a cold breeze on Saturday. The temp dropped from highs n the eighty's last week to lows just above freezing over the weekend. It finally is beginning to feel like Halloween.

Despite the chilly weather, I spent about 10 hours paining the ship on Saturday. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It looks a lot better than I expected. At first, I Frankensteined 3.5 gallons of what I thought was a pretty Taupe. Instead it turned out to be Battle Ship Grey once it was on the ship. Luckily I had decide to paint the back first just in case I didn't like the color. While it wasn't a bad color, it would have made the ship look like it was steal instead of wood.

So, back to the garage I went in search of brown to add to the grey. After some mixing only a mad scientist would have been proud of, I came out with a nice brown/grey/taupe. Only after I started painting, did I realize it was an almost exact match for the Masonite I had built the ship out of. This ended up working to my favor in that it killed the bright white plywood I had used on the flat surfaces. Once everything was painted, I came back with high lights and low lights with a dry brush. Next I mixed a dark brown to emphasize the shadow lines. I used the same dark brown to draw in "cracks" between the boards to play down the plywood. Once I finished with the brown I did it all again with the blue.

For a punch of color, I painted the cannon ports red. Hopefully I will be able to finish them today. For some reason, I cant find my 1/2" drill bit. But when your garage looks like mine at the moment, there's no telling where it is.

Sunday, I painted the trim Gold, and worked on some details. I started 4 cannons for the ports. Hopefully I can finish them one night this week. I also need to start on the sails. They need to be stained, aged, and cut out.

My to do list just keeps growing! Can we move Halloween back a couple of weeks? How needs Thanksgiving anyway?

Attachments

41 - 60 of 89 Posts