Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I also finished the bar for Black Bart's Pub

I still have one more building for the wharf before I can begin the pirate ship. Im hopeing to make the new building two stories and finish it this weekend, so I can start the ship in September.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
That bar is legit! I'd seriously love to have that in my backyard by the pool since I consider that area my tropical pirate beach anyway! Oh me...I can already tell, my husband is going to hate the idea of me being on this forum. haha!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Finally started the SS Fabulous! Laid out 3 sheets of plywood in the driveway and cut out the shape of the bottom. Started cutting out plywood ribs for the side so that it will curve. I will beef up the ribs with left over 2x2s and scrap wood before covering them with Masonite strips to look like boards. AS it stands right now, it's 20' from bow to stern and 4' wide. It will hang out in every direction so it will grow as I go. I'm expecting it to be about 27' long and 30' to the top of the mast.

The last pic is of the ribs. I cut the plywood down to 2'x4' sheets before cutting 2 ribs out of each sheet allowing me to get 8 ribs per sheet of plywood with little waste. I will beef them up with more scrap before screwing them to the bottom plate. Keep watching for updates.

Keep your fingers crossed for good weather this weekend! I'll need it.

ARRR Maties!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
YYAAARRR!!!!!!!!! You be having yourself one FINE build there! Wish I lived in the area so I could come and check it out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It was a good build weekend. The weather held out for the most part, except for upper 80s and sunny midday and late afternoon showers. I got the first 4 sections almost framed. I started by cutting the ribs out of plywood (17 ribs so far), them beefing them up with 2x2s. Next I attached the ribs to the base. Each one of the lateral support had to be cut by hand to match the unique angles on each end (very time consuming). I then ran a string from front to back to give me the curve I wanted on the top rail before cutting the ribs down to size. For added strength, I connected the tops of the ribs to establish the swoop of the top rail.

I have also included a pic of the 4 sections pulled apart to give you an idea how the whole thing goes together. Just for fun I have also shown you how to store a 20' pirate ship in a garage. I still have 1 more 5' section to build. Its the aft castle and a little more complex.

Check back next Monday for another update!

Keep on Hunting! ARRRRRR

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Didn't get as much done as I hoped this past weekend. Weather was marginal and there was a lot going on.

I managed to finish framing the aft castle and fan tail. I also filled in a lot of smaller vertical areas to nail the siding boards to. Finished the gunnels on the 4 front sections and roofed the 5th. I still have to finish framing the front before I can start siding it next weekend. I did a lot of sanding to knock down any sharp angles and soften the curves. Cant wait to see it with sides. Is amazing, I do all this hard work for framing and none of it will show. Its getting heavier, but I can still move it all around by my self with only a hand truck. From stem to stern is just under 24 feet. The fore mast adds another 4-6 feet.

Took a break from the ship to finish the roof for the "Dirt Wench" Brothel. Kinda pleased with the way it turned out.

ARRRRR,
BGP

Attachments

21 - 40 of 89 Posts