Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the immortal words of the Borg queen - "Resistance is futile!" Every one must do a pirate theme at least once during their haunting career. 2014 is my year! And yes, it a big build. I have been working frantically for about 2 months now and I'm already scared I want finish. There's only 91 days left till Halloween!

Let me start by saying I'm a firm believer in GO BIG - OR GO HOME. I am planning a 32 foot board walk and wharf that runs down the side of my yard. It will include 4 buildings, including "The Dirty Wench" a pirate Brothel. All my female friends cant wait to start turning tricks and give away their candy. I will also have a Pirate bar "Black Barts" for my crew. It is a 10 x 10 pop-up tent with Pallet sides. I am making a full bar, stools, tables and furnishing the interior. Trick or treates will be able to see in but not enter.

Of course no Pirate theme would be complete without a ship. Currently I am planing a 24 foot long 2 masted tall ship. Its a little ambitious but you only live once. I managed to save several tall logs when I had a pine hedge removed this year. They are currently hanging on the back of a fence drying.

I used several other log sections to make pilings for the wharf. I will run rope between the pilings to keep kids from running up to the pirate ship. For liability reasons, I never let trick or treaters on to any structure.

To save money I am striving to make all my buildings and furniture out of scavenged pallet wood. I am fortunate that a local motorcycle and jet store gets over sized pallets made from decent lumber. So far, I have been able to get 2 x 4 and 4 x 4 10 feet long. They are happy to get rid of them and have even helped me load them on my truck. Its time consuming tearing them apart but you cant beat the price.

I am including pics of the conceptual drawings, pilings, bar stools, board walk and one on the building fronts along the wharf. If you look closely at the pilings you will see parts of the walls for the bar behind the car. I will include more pics as I get things built.

Just for fun I also have a pic of the whole thing folded up and stacked against the house. For convenience of set up and storage I make everything modular. Most walls come in pairs and are hinged to be self supporting. This year I installed 5 - 4" diameter x 2 ' long pipes in the ground in the front yard for vertical supports. A couple of days before Halloween I will drop 4" x 4" x 10 ' in the pipes to support the building fronts along the wharf. Because of my neighborhood I put everything out on Halloween day and take it up that night. It makes for a long crazy day.

Remember: To Err is Human, To Arr is Pirate!

Happy sailing!

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually start in February/ March. My 2 favorite holidays are Halloween and Carnivale / Mardi Gras. I take 2 weeks off after Mardi Gras before starting on Halloween. I originally planned for another theme for this year before deciding to switch to Pirates.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You are my Idol right now. I love everything pirates. Pirates is my favorite ride and movie. I am still buying and trying to make pirate stuff for halloween each year. I used to do the scary halloween but for the past 7 years been walking the plank. No where near what I want to achieve though. Wish you were my neighbor. Looks great so far.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Blimey, slap a bilge monkey and call me jealous. That is phenomenal. Too bad we all don't live in the same neighborhood, we could leave it up year round. I too would like to know what time Black Bart's is open.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Worked on some columns this weekend for one of the buildings along the wharf. Made from pallet wood covering a 2 x 2 frame. I am covering the top with Masonite that will be painted to look like cracked plaster. To save on weight, the backs are left open. They are quite sturdy and light enough to pick up and move. I will cut arches to go in the openings. I will eventually screw them down to the board walk and run and 2 x 4 across the back along the top to tie them all together structurally. Next, I will tie them into the solid backdrop screwed to the 4 x 4s that are set into the ground. I may run stretch some canvas for a roof if I have time. Ill post more pics as I get them done.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very nice... I need to step up my game. I have a wonderful halloween yard but haven't got the creativity. I am still hoping to complete a pirate ship for this halloween but I am running out of time.

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
This build is absolutely fantastic and I cannot wait to see the continued progress and the final wharf.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Help your self to any ideas you want. I enjoy building so I'll build till I run out of materials, money, daylight, or cartilage in my knees - which ever comes first. Im building the bar top now. I also need to put a roof header over the front of the bar. Because of a bottle neck in the driveway, I have to put the bar up last. So everything has to fold down and move quickly. I make to 40" walls 6.5' tall for the corners and connect them with hinges so that the will flod and be self supporting when unfolded to a 90 degree angle. I will also add a header that connect all 4 corners to add even more stability. there will be a 40" opening on the bcak and one side for doors. The front will have an 7.5' foot opening for viewing. I will place a large pirate crate (candy table) in the opening.

I cant wait to start on the ship. It should be lots of fun to build. I an hoping to make it with curved sides to be more authentic. While I'm sure this will look great it will certain it will be difficult.

Hard to believe but I have to take the next 3 weeks off from building to start sewing the corresponding costume. Every year I attend Dragon con on Labor day weekend and I am hoping to wear the costume there. I have lots of Venician costumes but noting overtly pirate or anything I'm willing to dirty up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was a productive weekend despite the weather. Got 6 flats done for the Board walk along the wharf. Framed them with 2 x 2s and faced them with Masonite. Its cheap and light weight. Put initial coat of paint on the ones I had ready. Still need to frame and cut out arches that will connect the 3 columns.

I need to work on roofs next. One building only has an overhang. I've got it built but not covered. Another will have a slanted roof over the porch held up by 2 columns that I made years ago for the graveyard gateway. Another will be just a facade without any type of roof and the last is the arched colonnade which will only have canvas draped between a 2 x 2 frame. Hopefully the weather will be more cooperative this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had a long weekend. It was Very productive. This will probably be the last time I can take off between now and Halloween (other than Dragoncon).

Evidentally I lost my mind and decided to cut out, sand and paint hundreds of bricks to glue to the front of the flats for the "Dirty Wench" (Brothel). It was time consuming but i think it looks better than the premade "brick" panels.

I also managed to get a few other buildings done. I will upload pics of them seperataly so that then are grouped properly.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 89 Posts