Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

every pirate yard haunt needs some treasure and loot! i took a barrel that i had and a chest that i got real cheap at a thrift store. i put a turkey roasting pan in the bottom of the barrel.(the barrel had a foot deep bottom on one end) ,i also layered tin foil in the chest.then i put a couple of strands of clear christmas lights in each.the foil is to help reflect the light in the chest and barrel.

i spray painted some cheap glasses and plates($1 at dollar tree) with metallic gold and silver paint.i did the same with some rocks and poker chips.this was such a simple and cheap effect for the treasure chest and barrel.i also had some of the fake gold coins and got a bunch of bead strands after christmas.the beads look like pearls. i add real jewelry that i get for next to nothing at yard sales and thrift stores. heres some night time pics. hope you like them.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I really like the lighting effect on the treasure! That is very original. I did the same as you, in grabbing cheap jewelry at tag and yard sales. That, along with white mardi gras beads and fake coins had a decent effect. This was a party scene for us previously:

Eric

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes its just a string of christmas lights.you could just use some tea lights(battery) and stick in your treasure chest(shut the lid half way).that works to.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love your lighting in the treasure piles, I never, ever thought of that. Really looks good! Last year I went to lots of thrift stores and bought old elaborate brass and silver candle holders, silver serving platters, brass wine glasses, beads and costume jewelry. I added a couple hundred shiny plastic "pirate coins" from the party store and a few nice looking brooches and crosses (so it appeared maybe a church or two got plundered along the way). It all made for very realistic pirate booty, but you could barely see it in my haunt lighting. I will be using all of the the same stuff again this year but I found a great treasure chest at Marshall's a few months ago for $13! Now I am going to use your christmas light effect to make it all shine.
Thanks for sharing, good job!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts