Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Got my first picoboo controller and I'm looking to use a motion sensor to trigger it. I can't help but think there must be a cheaper way to make one than the $30-40 they sell for. Can't anyone point me in the right direction?

I have used flood light sensors to make a motion trigger with an outlet so I have those laying around. But I see they are too high of voltage to be used.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The PIRs you are referring to are more expensive because they include a relay on the output, and then jacked up because you're looking at halloween specific items.

You can use other cheaper PIRs but it will require some modification.

You can use this PIR from Amazon:
Amazon.com: Poppidot PIR Motion Sensor Switch, DC 5V-24V 3A, Motion Activated for LED Light Bars, LED Strips, DC Barrel Cable, Automatic On/Off: Home Improvement
This one outputs the input voltage when triggered.

With one of these 12V relays:
Amazon.com: Youngneer 12v Relay Board Relay Module 1 Channel Opto-Isolated High or Low Level Trigger: Electronics

And wire it up like this:

Sorry for the crude image, basically the PicooBoo needs the INPUT to be brought low (GROUND), on the typical PIRs the white and green wires are connected to a relay (COM and NO), which are then connected together when triggered. Since other PIRs don't have a relay in it (some might, haven't looked too hard) then you need to add another relay to get that INPUT to be low.

The PIR I linked to has two output wires, one is always connected to ground and the other outputs 12V when the PIR is triggered. So you use that output to trigger the relay which then controls the input to the PicoBoo.

If you had a BooBox you could use any of those PIRs without the relay, since the inputs can be high or low triggered.

So if you find a cheaper PIR that has a relay on it, then you can use that as long as it is powered by 12V, if you find a PIR that just outputs whatever is input (typical PIRs for lights and such), then you will need to add in any 12V relay.

Searching "PIR relay" on Amazon gave me this guy:
Amazon.com : PIR Sensor Dual Passive Infrared Motion Detector Hard Wired Request to Exit for Residential or Commercial Burglar Alarm Systems : Camera & Photo

Which seems identical to the FrightProps one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes those look like regular diffused beam sensors.

It will probably output the input voltage (looks like 24V, maybe up to that I can't tell) on one of the wires, just like the PIR I mentioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts