Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I think maybe I saw this here, don't know. I am jealous of all of your talents and How-to's and I wanted to try my hand at one, so I thought I'd start simply. Here is an easy, cheap way to make chains. I bought a 6' section of pipe insulation ( I think it was for 3/8" piping)...It cost a WHOPPING $.97 for 6' at Lowes. I cut it down into 3/8" rings on my bandsaw, if you have one I really recommend it. You can polish off a whole 6' section in about 5 minutes. So here is my starting point:
IMG_6717.jpg

So after having a box full off foam rings, I started piecing them together. I was making small segments of 3 rings, leaving the center ring uncut, and the two end rings open. I closed one of the end rings with some Gorilla glue and just continued to make 3 rings segments until I used all of them.
IMG_6748a.jpg

Once all three rings segments completed, I began connecting them as well, hooking the open ring to the glued ring of another segment. I noticed the Hot glue actually worked a bit better because it seemed that the heat "welds" the foam and the hot glue sets up and cures much faster than the Gorilla glue.
IMG_6749.jpg

It would be much faster with two people working on either end connecting each segment, but it doesn't take long none the less. I really like the Black/dark grey pipe insulation because it gives you a good base to start with for painting/finishing. So in review a 6' piece of pipe insulation cut into 3/8" rings will yield you an approximately 12' "chain" that cost you $.97 and some hot glue.
IMG_6750.jpg

I am going to experiment a bit with dry brushing some silvers/grey and maybe some rusty brown/orange. Stay tuned if you are interested, please comment with likes/dislike or even any improvements/ideas you may have. Happy Haunting all!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
For your second batch, I'd suggest using pipe foam for a larger pipe diameter, which will have the same foam thickness, but a larger hole in the middle. Those links are awfully tight and I suspect the lack of play will cause closed links to tear open at the prescored tear that runs the length of the foam tube.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used different sizes of the foam insulation to do several chains. I put a dab of hot glue on the links that were not still closed. It all works out as long as you are not trying to tow a car :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know....lesson learned as I was making it, but I figured it would at least give the people the idea of what it looks like.....it was a fun and easy project, not to mention very cheap

·
Registered
155 Posts
wonderful idea! love this! If I can find more pool noodles on sale, this would make a great addition to my rickety asylum inspired fence!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Kustomnut
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing