Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Was crusing pinterest tonight pinning away and dreaming of Halloween when something funny and a little delightful happened. I came across a photo of the coffin cooler we made a couple years ago for our party. I had posted photos on my forum profile and got a chuckle that it was out there on pinterest pinned by someone I had never heard of. I clicked on it only to discover it linked to someones website who claimed it as their own and listed the instructions I had given....with some of their own thrown in but claiming the final work as their own!! That sucked all the delight out of it for me!

I absolutely post ideas to share and am so grateful for those who post their wonderful ideas on here for us to use too! It is not at all that I didn't want someone to be able to make or use or even reference the cooler I just was shocked someone would take another persons work and claim it as their own. I guess I shouldn't be.....anyone else run into this situation?

Thought I would just pop in to get back to feeling happy about Halloween!
Thanks for listening.

Hauntingly Addicting
WOW that must have really bummed you out when you realized what they did by taking credit. I guess since they changed a few things on the instructions they thought they could claim it as their own however then why didnt they post their own final product?? We all beg steal and borrow ideas when it comes to Halloween and our haunts or parties but you are right we should always remember to give credit where credit is due. I do many things In my own decor that I have received from here but I always point out where the idea came from and usually put my own twist on it.

I guess in the end you should still be flattered that someone decided to love and post your idea and try to take pride in the fact that your idea was valued enough by someone to post and actually do. I know its not much but in this Halloween world Im afraid that will not be the last time one of your great ideas will be stolen. I would love to see a pic of what you did however, Im always looking for great ideas:)

Registered
Luckily my stuff isn't grand enough for someone to try and take credit, but I know the feeling of seeing your prop on Pinterest only to b deflated when it comes up as a pic (no link) and no refrense to who/where it came from.

I always believe credit should b given to the one who created it. I know how upset I get when someone follows my party plans to a tee, excepts the accolades and never mentions original concept post. Then again I just learned to accept it and decided to no longer post concepts and party plans .

Registered
When I first started looking at boards, I basically had no idea what I was doing. I would just click through things and I would come to a picture and I would be like...hey, that's my stuff and it would just make me smile because I would be like, omg, why in the world would they want to include something of mine on their board!

Funeral Crasher
Well, that's pretty underhanded to claim someone else's work as your own. Send a note to the member you saw your picture on and maybe they can change the description.

I've seen pics of my props on Pinterest before, but never clicked on them. Maybe I should.......

A Wee Bit Wicked
:D Well my Cauldron Creep and my Grandinroad witch are on Pumpkinrots' website! (I was thrilled out of my mind!) But PR gives credit to whoever made the prop. I think it was because my photographer took such great photos, not because my props are anything out of the ordinary. But hey, I'll take it anyway I can get it. I've seen some of my photos on other Pinterest pages.... I am not sure how I'd feel if they took credit for something I made though.:eek: That may sour me a bit, right now I am just elated.:D

Kitchen/Green Witch
EDITED: I first wrote here that I simply repinned pins and was worried it would look like I was taking credit...but I deleted all that because now I see I'd have to actually change the source to make it look like I stole it. I don't edit the source, so my pins are correctly credited and safe, lol (as long as the source wasn't edited by a previous person somewhere, anyway). I was just confused for a second...still learning pinterest!
I just can't believe there are people out there who would take credit for things that aren't theirs. Not cool.

Kitchen/Green Witch
Sometimes I shorten the description, or tweak it so it is clearer for me to assign to a particular board. You actually have to edit the text located in the "Found/Pinned From" field which is where it references the source location the pin was taken from.
I always leave the source alone, I never change that. That's how the actual person who made the thing gets the credit. Anyone who changes the source to their own name, well, yeah, that would be stealing. I have very few pins that are from unknown random pics off the internet searches that don't have the original source...I make sure those have descriptions that say, hey, I found this online. :)

Registered
I always want to be as "Original" as I can be. I Love to write, draw, build my own ideas and have been doing that" 24-7" now for many years.
Just within maybe these last couple of years So many people have said to me or my wife how They or a close relative of theirs "Helped me so much!"
"I would not have The Ravens Grin Inn if it wasn't for their help, work, and concepts!
WOW!?
I have a very short list of the people who have actually helped me in any way. Most of them helped lift something, or helped me dig a hole I was digging .
I am still just amazed when people say these things.
Some of the credit-thieves were just little kids when that "Work" was happening and in a few cases they were standing there as a kid does, watching me. That was "IT"! (The same kids I had to tell to go home or not look as I was welding or grinding metal!)
The major "Draw" which inspires people to spend their time and their money to come see my creation is in large part, I believe, because the house and my tour of it is So different and in some ways So Real it can actually terrify some people much more than I would ever want to do.

Kitchen/Green Witch
Sorry I thought the Pinned From detail directs it to the source of the pin.
It does. "Pinned from" is the source...unless you go to edit and change the source which would change the "pinned from" on the pic...which would be the stealing part. Lol, Pinterest is confusing me today.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts