Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being from California, I've found getting pink or blue foam is next to impossible. Several years ago I made a trip to Prescott, Arizona to bring back some furniture and got lucky and found some pink foam and was able to sneak a piece onto the moving van. I'm going to be making separate trips to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area as well as Prescott in the next month and am looking to confirm if I can get blue or pink foam in either city (or anywhere along the way for that matter). I'm wanting full sheets of 2" and all I can find online is 1/2". I've searched past threads but am looking for some boots on the ground that can possibly confirm a current sighting.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Doc

·
Registered
889 Posts
We got the blue foam at Joanne fabric several years ago , you could calm the stores to see if they have any

·
Registered
719 Posts
according to GoE, they do carry it it in California but you have to request it. so I guess you just have to go to Home Depot and ask?

I live in Tx so it's easy to get in 1"x4'x8' sheets. I hope you have some luck.

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
IF you happen to find some, let me know. I live in the Phoenix area and have yet to come across any size larger than 1/2" pink foam and haven't seen any blue. There are insulation companies in the area that claim to have it, but when I call to find something bigger than 1/2", the price gets either ridiculous or they can get it, but I have to buy 30-50 sheets because they deal with contractors.
I can fine beaded styrofoam all over the place, but not the thick pink or blue foams. Makes me want to live in WI or NY again just for the foam.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Home Depot will bring it in for you. I personally prefer the pink foam over the blue as it is dimensionally true and makes it easier to match up with other materials.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fir the replays and help. Will have to make some calls Monday. Tried two local HDs. They both carry the T&G and project squares. Both said they cannot get anything larger.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the leads. I wasn't able to confirm a boots-on-the-ground source in AZ, but did find one in my own neck of the woods. A little pricey at almost $41 per 4'x8' sheet of 2" thickness, however you can buy a single sheet.

IDI Ontario
2611 East Lindsay Privado
Ontario, CA 91761
951-682-0809

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm in South Florida and have the same problem. I actually have to drive 4 hours to Orlando to get the 1/2 pink foam! What we do is use the beaded white styrofoam and glue the pink on top so that we have the thickness. In warm weather climates, you just can't get the stuff! Also I think Davis Graveyard uses all white foam for their tombstone display. It's impressive! Good luck!

If none of that works for you, Tombstone Factory offers the blank foam tombstones for 20.00 each. They come in a variety of sizes and you can have a base or no base. They have free shipping for orders of $175.00 and you can use the 10% off coupon from Haunter's Hangout. Just type in Hangout.

These blanks are 2 inch pink foam-https://www.tombstonefactory.com/product/diy-tombstone-blanks

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Thanks for the leads. I wasn't able to confirm a boots-on-the-ground source in AZ, but did find one in my own neck of the woods. A little pricey at almost $41 per 4'x8' sheet of 2" thickness, however you can buy a single sheet.

IDI Ontario
2611 East Lindsay Privado
Ontario, CA 91761
951-682-0809
Even way up north where all sizes are readily available the 2" is pricey. At both Lowe's and Home Depot the 4X8 sheets run about $34.00. 1 inch is $17.00 and 3/4 is $15.00. The 2X8 2 inch runs about $20.00. We also have 1 1/2 in the 2X8's which is $16.00. I tend to double up the 1 inch or the 1 1/2 for tombstones if I really need the thickness. It probably ends up the same price depending on waste plus it's easier to cut and I can fool myself on cost when I can get 2 sheets.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Doc Doom,

I'm in N. OC and the local HD has the pink 2x4x8 sheets for $33. That's what I used to make my stones last year.

<start rant>
One problem for me is getting the stuff home. One guy had no issue cutting it for me in half but when I went back to get another sheet another guy said it was against store policy and wouldn't do it cause it dulls the blade. I've heard it can be hard on blades but find it difficult to imagine it's any worse than ripping melamine. It may be against policy but I'm more inclined to think that particular guy was the type that would walk 5 aisles over to hide and avoid helping someone. <\start rant>

·
Registered
238 Posts
Doc,

I worked at Lowe's for seven years and currently work at Home Depot, both in Mesa, AZ. I can tell you its not easy to find. Lowe's stocks 1" blue foam in 24"x8' in the stucco section. Home depot has the pink foam in 1/2" most places However the store at McKellips and Power road in North Mesa near 202 has 2" pink foam in 4x8 sheets.

Hope this helps. I have been doing most my work with the 1" blue foam from Lowes but if I need it I will get the pink stuff!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I shop at Home Depot in Gilbert, AZ. So far I've done all of my stones in the white bead type foam board though, which I get from that Home Depot. For doing stones that look like stone, I like the texture when you tear chunks from it. In my opinion the white bead foam baord provides a more natural broken stone look when you break it. However, I am going to be looking for the pink and blue in the near future to do some faux wood stones. It might be a couple of weeks, but when I make it over there, I'll definately let you know if they have it.
Stone 2.jpg Stone 3.jpg Stone 5.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
What is your Home Depot's policy on shipping it to a Home Depot in Fresno, CA? There is none to be had here. Would they send it to a HD here in Fresno for customer pickup? And would they charge shipping from store to store?

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
What is your Home Depot's policy on shipping it to a Home Depot in Fresno, CA? There is none to be had here. Would they send it to a HD here in Fresno for customer pickup? And would they charge shipping from store to store?
When I asked our local Home Depot, in Colorado Springs, if they could order a specific thickness of the pink foam that was on the Home Depot website, but not in the local store, I was told I'd have to order an entire pallet. I don't remember how many sheets were on a pallet, but it was many more than I needed and far more than I could afford.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you! I would have never thought of Joannes for the foam....and I've been there about 3 times in the past month for other stuff! I have never seen or heard of the blue foam til the post replies I am getting back. Just the lavender and the pink. What is the difference?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you all for your responses and helpful suggestions. I'm getting so frustrated!! My Lowe's and Home Depot stores act like they don't even know what I'm talking about, but I am going to find a manager to see about having it shipped to a Fresno store. I'll let you know what happens. BTY, I did locate at HD store here that says it has the 2 by 2 panels for $5.43 per panel, 1/2 inch thick, which will work for tombstones, but I need bigger sheets for other projects too. I'm going to pick up some of those for now to get started.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This has been the worse part about moving to Texas for me. I have had the same problem and cannot get anything thicker than 1/2 or 3/4 inch foam. Even if I could find 1" I would be happy!! I have thought about driving up to Dallas to see if they have something thicker than what we can get down here but haven't done that yet. It will probably be on my list for next year's projects.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Was is local Home Depot in AZ on Power and Germann. They had 1" x 4 x 8 sheets in stock and ALOT of them for $19.91 a piece. A start.
I might ask about getting a larger volume of the 2" panels. I will see what a pallet will go for, how many sheets and overall cost. Maybe if anyone is interested in the Phoenix area, by a volume amount and divide up according to want??

I'll find out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts