Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at props here for 3 years now I have decided to make my own pink board props. My question is after I use latex paint on them can I spray paint over them? They are all different colors and I don't want to buy 4 or 5 different colors of paint plus the look I am going for would be better with spray paint. So can I spray over the latex paint without melting? I have looked at literally over hundreds of posts but don't remember seeing that addressed. Sadly yes I am a bit of a noob yet.

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
Yes. No problem. Congratulations on taking the first step! What I have learned is that even mistakes can turn out to be the best props. So get in there and pull those ideas out of your head and make them reality!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think you'll be alright, might want to test out a piece of extra foam first. I have been using Gripper Primer as a base coat before I put on the spray paint. Granted Gripper is an acrylic not a latex. But I have zero deformation from the top level spray paint.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Yes no problem, you can spray paint over the latex paint and it will not damage the foam. I have a couple of stones that I spray painted on purpose to get that distressed look. Experiment, it's all GOOD!!! :):)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Can't wait to see what you create!

If I'm doing tombstones, I use Gidden Gripper, then Drylok and then spray paint. I've found that if I just put on Drylok over the foam and skip the GG I end up having to put on more coats of it before I move to spray paint. BUT sometimes I do like the effect you get from the spray paint eating away at the foam on a direct spray.

For other props, I use the GG and then spray paint.

I agree that sometimes the mistakes aren't mistakes at all! :) This is all a learning experience and there is no right or wrong.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies. Up until now I have made little things while I researched. It was time to make what was in my head a reality. Bad thing is it never translates well-lol. I will post pics when it's done. They are all in pieces waiting in the dungeon for me. Calling me, daring me to finish them. Boy props can be demanding sometimes-lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts