Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all anyone know of a good place to buy sheets or rolls of pink or blue foam? 1 inch to 3 inch thick would be nice...

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I purchase sheets of 2 in pink styrofoam from Lowes for about $15 a sheet. I've also seen the blue styrofoam there in 1/2 in, 1 in, and 2 in sheets. They also carry the 1/2 in blue foam in rolls.

I'm guessing Home Depot would carry the same, or similar product for about the same price.

·
Registered
594 Posts
All I know is, if there was a way to get the 2 or 3 inch foam in warm weather locations, such as here in Tx, or FL, Ca, etc... I would be a HAPPY Camper! I'm so sick of gluing 1/2" foam together for decent width!!! :)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,449 Posts
Depending on where you are and how cold it gets, you may not be able to FIND any really thick foamcore. :(

I live in SE Texas, and the best I've seen is 3/4" sheets of foamcore. The ones that are 4 foot x 8 foot, but no where is it available any thicker unless you special ordered it from a building supply dealer and they usually want LARGE amounts to make it worth their while. So if you are in a temperate part of California, don't expect to find the thick stuff in stores either....

The pink/blue is just the different makers - Dow is blue and Owens-Corning is pink. It is exactly the same stuff.

·
Registered
594 Posts
That rocks, Mr. Chicken... I wonder how much that cost them? And... if they need a long lost niece from Texas?!?! Hahaha. Really though, good work around :D

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,449 Posts
That rocks, Mr. Chicken... I wonder how much that cost them? And... if they need a long lost niece from Texas?!?! Hahaha. Really though, good work around :D

Make that two long lost nieces in TX! :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey all anyone know of a good place to buy sheets or rolls of pink or blue foam? 1 inch to 3 inch thick would be nice...
I'm not even sure this stuff is available in CA.! I've looked at the Home Depot and Lowe's here and they don't carry it. I've also went to surrounding towns/cities, and can't find any. From what I understand, since the blue/pink insulation is geared more for colder climates, the warmer areas, (like here in SoCal), don't carry them.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Has anyone in California (or other warm climate) gone in to a Lowes or Home Depot and asked if it could be ordered and sent to that store?

I use the pink foam sheathing made by Owens/Corning called FOAMULAR, I get it from Home Depot. Up here in Washington, I am able to buy 2x8 sheets that are 2in thick.

Run a search, ask local home improvement stores.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
All I know is, if there was a way to get the 2 or 3 inch foam in warm weather locations, such as here in Tx, or FL, Ca, etc... I would be a HAPPY Camper! I'm so sick of gluing 1/2" foam together for decent width!!! :)
AMEN to that! I remember when I could go to a construction site and ask for/take a few sheets. Those days are gone! Now, builders are all switching to insulation wrap. The only place i can find it is Home Depot...and the cheap stuff's $12.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I live in CA. I was leaning back toward using foam again but this may push me toward going the mold and concrete route. :)

Anybody know whether these could be glued to concrete or possibly plaster?
I'm sure if you used Liquid Nail, that would do the trick. If you've never used it, or heard of it, it's an industrial type glue that comes in a caulk type tube. They glue 4'X8' sheets of plywood together, use it to permanently fasten giant mirrors to walls, heavy stuff like that. You can buy it at Lowe's or Home Depot. As a side note, I also use this on some of my skeletons to corpse them out. It makes great texture and will never peel or flake off.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'm sure if you used Liquid Nail, that would do the trick. If you've never used it, or heard of it, it's an industrial type glue that comes in a caulk type tube. They glue 4'X8' sheets of plywood together, use it to permanently fasten giant mirrors to walls, heavy stuff like that. You can buy it at Lowe's or Home Depot. As a side note, I also use this on some of my skeletons to corpse them out. It makes great texture and will never peel or flake off.
Thank you!! I'm putting this on my list.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Maybe it's just me, as i hear lots of people say they use liquid nail on foam board. But mine dried up and cracked and fell apart in storage. Maybe it depends on where you live as to how well it holds up. Gets pretty hot here in FL some summers.

I also cannot get anything thicker than 1/2" foam, except the crappy white beaded stuff. Bummer for me. I like the idea of checking to see if they can order it. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Mistress of the 7 Seas
847 Posts
Bwolcott, you can get some here: http://www.alliedbuilding.com/. You might want to call ahead as I found that only the locations that carry the exterior building products have it in stock.

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
Tk421, I tried that last year at HD and spoke with the person who did all the ordering for So Cal and he said I would have to order 100 sheets, just a little more that I needed.:rolleyes:
Same here in Central FL, you have to order it in a "lot" and even if FLHaunters did a group buy, I don't think we'd get enough people to buy it to make it a practicality.

I've considered getting 2-3 sheets next time we're up in MI visiting and cut it up and bring it home that way. Problem is is we always over pack! So never have much room left in the van to do that!
;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I'm not even sure this stuff is available in CA.! I've looked at the Home Depot and Lowe's here and they don't carry it. I've also went to surrounding towns/cities, and can't find any. From what I understand, since the blue/pink insulation is geared more for colder climates, the warmer areas, (like here in SoCal), don't carry them.
I don't see why the thick foam wouldn't help keep your houses cool too but anyway around here it is used mostly for pouring the cement foundations .They use it to hold the slab together until dry and then toss it, the cement cleans off pretty well and can be used for projects. I wish I could just slap a stamp on the pieces I see thrown away and mail you guys some : )

1 - 20 of 25 Posts