Halloween Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you leave your straw bales (pine not hay) on your lawn for the entire month? I've never used them and live in sunny/wet Florida so I'm not sure how they will last. Will it attract bugs? My plan is to buy 3 or 4 for a rotten pumpkin patch. Thoughts?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've used straw bales for years. I actually keep them along the sides/garden area of our house through Christmas, as I place net lights on them.

As far as a month or so goes, a few little bugs will make homes there, but I've never had some kind of infestation. Usually roly poly bugs and just small insects. Depending on rain amounts, they do absorb water. So the more rain you get, the heavier they'll be and some vegetation grows on the top of mine, such as spikes of grass.

I live in Oklahoma, so not sure what will happen specifically to them with Florida weather, but I would think you'll be fine. When you're ready to remove them, just use work gloves and inspect them before picking them up for any critters or something. I usually roll mine over first to see what's what.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'm in SE PA and we use a couple of hay bales each year. They are usually out for less than a month but maybe three weeks or so - we don't put them out last or anything but they are also not usually the first items out due to weather. It does usually kill the grass underneath (or at least yellow it), and while we don't tend to find animals in ours, they do sometimes have bugs here and there. I think my main issue is them getting a little moldy along the bottom edges.

I have read before - and we do this ourselves - that the bottom hay bale should be on its side, with the string facing sideways, not up. That way the part of the hay that touches your grass is less packed, more textured and poky with air circulation space so less chances for mold. You could also consider putting a rock or brick underneath the bottom bale in order to tilt it forward or to one side so that any water runs down/off rather than only down.

For us it's not that big of a nuisance and definitely worth the look to have a few bales in our cornfield/pumpkin area.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I rarely actually lay them on the grass. But if I do I’ll move them around every couple of weeks. We had 6 bales sitting on a small pallet last year for a month and no permanent damage to the grass underneath.

The pine needles themselves hold up just fine. I’ve left those in bales for months

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I rarely actually lay them on the grass. But if I do I’ll move them around every couple of weeks. We had 6 bales sitting on a small pallet last year for a month and no permanent damage to the grass underneath.

The pine needles themselves hold up just fine. I’ve left those in bales for months
Thanks! You're the real MVP!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I made a faux haybale this year to try and get the look without the mess (man, it is hard to get that stuff out of the back of an SUV). It helped that I had a roll of short bamboo fence from a cancelled yard project, too. A few clearance grass skirts and some 2*2 lumber and it will be a nice way to add some height to my jack o lantern display.

I wish someone made a sturdy faux hay bale, I would buy them (if they broke down for storage).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made a faux haybale this year to try and get the look without the mess (man, it is hard to get that stuff out of the back of an SUV). It helped that I had a roll of short bamboo fence from a cancelled yard project, too. A few clearance grass skirts and some 2*2 lumber and it will be a nice way to add some height to my jack o lantern display.

I wish someone made a sturdy faux hay bale, I would buy them (if they broke down for storage).
Agreed. This is going to be my project for next year. Faux hay bales that fold down.

Oriental Trading has some for purchase, but $88 is too much.
Collapsible Faux Hay Bale | Oriental Trading

1 - 11 of 11 Posts