Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year i made a bunch of pillars for my grave yard but the 2 main ones blew over in a wind storm. What do people use to secure their pillars so they do not fall over? (My small pillars didn't fall but only because they are just 4x4s that i hollowed out and shoved rebar into)

·
Registered
268 Posts
From what I've seen, people use T-posts hammered into the ground that their pillars tie to. I've also seen someone who used rebar 2x4" combinations inside the pillars to lock them in place and then added 50-100 pounds of playground sand in plastic bags from Home Depot/Lowes to weigh it down.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know this is going to sound a bit of a silly way that I stopped my graveyard pillars falling down but it did work for me. I would have showed a pic but I have just loaned them to a friend for her display as I am doing pirates this year so didn't need them. My pillars are round, and are built on tall wooden tubular frames, we had a round base at the bottom of the frame that looked like an old cart wheel. At the bottom rear of the tube where you couldn't see we had a flap and we slide in one of my Hubby's weights (as part of his exercise routine he does a bit of weight lifting) and they have always held the pillars down. I was thinking if you didn't have access to weights, you could use the same principle but put in a heavy bag of sand. Having the flap, makes the weight easily removable so that the pillars are easy to move about. I use them at the front of my home, which is driveway but with no garden, so I can't stake anything in the ground, so found this works well for this situation. I have put a picture on below, these aren't the ones I made but it was the picture that I used for inspiration and they basically look the same as these.:)

graveyard pillars.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
My tall pillars were about 8ft and I used a plywood base as a part of it. So on the base I drilled 2 large holes in the front and back and the used some old electrical conduit and hammered them deep in the ground then hammered them over top of it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have pillars that are about 7 1/2 ft tall. My pillars are hollow and I have an acces panel on the back at the bottom. I use the open area to hide lights and projectors. I hammer rebar in the ground inside the pillars at each corner and then I zip tie the rebar through holes I drilled into my pillar frame. It works very well for my pillars. I have had some very windy days and they have never blown over. I also had a neighborhood kid run into one of my pillars on his bike and they still didn't fall over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts