Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few years we have had piers made from sonotubes and monster mud covering the outside, then painted and they have stood the test of time pretty well...until last weekend. I started setting up and then it rained and the mud began to crack and peel. So much for longevity.
Of course I know they shouldn't go outside in a rain storm, but now I have to rebuild them and was thinking of a way to make them more durable. I haven't thought of a way to water proof them, but can anyone offer some ideas to the rebuild that will possibly withstand rain.

I was thinking of a mesh coating with a stucco or cement covering, but I think they would get too heavy. Any ideas before the rebuild would be appreciated. I don't want to make them again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i saw in another thread that people were saying monster mud is not all that weatherproof. my solution is drylock. a little expensive but it allows you to use the cheaper materials and just paint on the waterproof.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I would say to also paint he inside so no surface could be exposed to the weather/Humidity or so on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Are you making piers or pilings? I have made both for this years Pirate theme. the piers are made from old pallets that were cut down and reconfigured. They should last for many years. The pilings are made from some old Pine trees that I cut down in the yard this year. I cut 3 at different lengths and screwed them together with 6" lag blots before adding a decorative rope wrap. I'll will screw then to metal fence post driven in the ground before running a rope between then for crowd control.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMU...
Have you had any cracking issues or does the Liquid nails create a stronger adhesion?

Eblore..
About how heavy are your pilings? I was thinking to do the same as I have access to trees I can cut for this project. I was going to do the same as we are doing a back yard tropical/pirate theme and I wanted that effect in the back yard too.

Thanks for these ideas.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can pick them up but they are still a little heavy. The trees were just cut in May and are still drying out. But, I can easily move them around on a hand truck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I haven't had any issues at all with this method. One of my failed attempts was using just the liquid nails and it all slid off the conduit before it set. The monster mud mixed in solved that and also let me "sculpt" the wood texture.

IMU...
Have you had any cracking issues or does the Liquid nails create a stronger adhesion?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I made columns for my mausoleum out of sonotubes and had the same problem. I ended up replacing them with a large diameter PVC pipe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts