Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else has ran across this?

I was in my local Halloween USA a couple of days ago. I was looking for scary scarecrow masks for my cornfield I'm putting up. I was taking a couple of pictures of the different masks with my camera phone when an employee walked up and said, "sorry sir, no picture taking allowed". I looked at him with a puzzled look on my face and replied, "I'm trying to decide which mask to buy here" and he said, "sorry, company policy." I said, "ok, I'm going to buy my mask across the street at Spirit then" and walked out of the store and went to Spirit. He could see I was strictly taking pictures of the individual masks and their top secret store lay-out and displays! Needless to say, I won't go back into Halloween USA.

Anyone else have any similar experiences?

Typical Ghoul Next Door
I usually ask if there is anyone around if it's okay to take pics. I tell them I'm taking them for posting so folks can see what they've got and come buy stuff they're looking for.

Never had a problem so far. Totally understand being miffed enough to leave, tho.

Registered
It has never happened to me before, but besides the thing that this is how they display stuff, they might think if you show pictures to other people online, maybe they won't like the stuff you are showing them, and they won't come. However, the flip side is if you show pictures, maybe they will come because they didn't know the products that the store offered. To me, it's utter garbage about not taking pictures because of how the store is displayed.

For that Sam's Club mirror, I didn't have interest in that thing first when seeing it, but now when I seen the video of it, hey that doesn't look that bad. I still wouldn't buy it because of the high price tag, but still. If I wanted to buy a really expensive prop I would buy Jason, or the skeleton guy at Spirit that has ghosts in his chest, but I'm not.

Any person can go into Halloween USA (Let's say someone from Kmart.), and memorize the displays, and write it down as soon as they get out of the store. It's just dumb!! If one person can't do it, you send 6 Kmart people in the store, and memorize certain displays. What I want is great merchandise. You can set it up however you want to, but if it stinks, than I'm not going to buy it. Of course, companies have there theories of putting stuff here and there.

You put stuff in the back of the store that you think people are most likely want to buy so they go throughout the whole store. That's why grocery stores have milk towards the back. You put freezers close enough to the checkouts so that stuff doesn't melt, or get too warm. Based on this philosophy Wal-Mart has it all wrong. They have the food towards the front of the store where you think it should be towards the back except the freezer section. Also, the cosmetics, and health care should be more towards the back because those are the sections that I see a lot of people in.

However, look at Wal-Mart, and how much money they are making. Who cares about putting stuff in certain places? People are buying the stuff. I just thought about something. Considering Target, at some of them you have the toys all the way in the back. Well, you go through the kids clothes in the middle to get to the toys. Does that mean people are going to want to buy clothes? Today, I went through the Food Section at Kmart on the way to the Halloween section. Does that mean I bought food at the store? No, it doesn't.

Registered
Actually, I worked for Michael's for years and I never let people take pictures in the store either. Women would come in and take pictures of our custom arrangements so they could copy them. There are also security reasons for prohibiting photography. We know you weren't casing the joint, but the next guy might be. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask someone not to. Sorry to disagree.

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Actually, I worked for Michael's for years and I never let people take pictures in the store either. Women would come in and take pictures of our custom arrangements so they could copy them. There are also security reasons for prohibiting photography. We know you weren't casing the joint, but the next guy might be. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask someone not to. Sorry to disagree.
See, THAT makes sense. If you've got custom arrangements that someone made and has for sale, you wouldn't want someone taking pics so they can copy it. I wouldn't have a problem with that. :)

Taking pics of a prop or a row of shelving displaying stuff so you can see the general inventory, that's a horse of a different color.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
We used to have a FANTASTIC Halloween store in the Chicago area called, "Murrays". It literally blew away the competition as far as unique quality merchandise. Only problem was they were outrageously priced, which I'm sure led to their demise. Anyway, I wouldn't take actual photographs of their products, but I would take mental pictures and brought pen and paper to see what I would need to make it. This guy in Halloween USA could CLEARLY see I was holding a mask in front of my phone and taking a picture.

Good Ghoul Gone Bad
Until 2 days ago, I had never taken pictures inside the store. I was at Michaels this week and I took pictures of some of their individual flowers to send to my sister in FL regarding a wedding (they weren't custom arrangements, shoot, they weren't even arranged). Some of the people in the store gave me strange looks but none of the employees said anything to me. I had never thought about the security issue but I will from now on.

Did you wind up getting the masks you were looking for?

Registered
I've asked in a few places when a lot of people were around or I was talking with one of the sales people and wanted to snap a shot and I've never had a refusal.

I try not to take pics with people in them, just products I'm interested in and may want to come back to buy or show you guys who might be interested in them. I can't tell you how nice it is to have a camera phone for that reason. Nothing like shopping and a week later thinking about an item and then can't remember where I was or if it would go with something I had at home. For me pictures are a huge plus. It has really helped hubby out too when I've ask him to pick up a certain something for me at the store. In fact we just ended up buying a TV console this past week because I had seen one I liked in a Costco and took pics and showed hubby who mulled it over. One month passes and luckily I had taken pics of the box because hubby now wants it and the item had sold out of our local store and with the help of the pic were able to call around and find it at another Costco. That being said if someone from a store asked me not to I would say ok and comply. I figure a lot places probably have security cameras watching me and if they had a problem would approach me and ask me not do it. I honestly can't say I've ever seen a sign at the door to a store I shop in that has some language about prohibiting use of cameras. I have seen such signs at concerts and such. I can understand the reasoning behind copying designs or casing a place though.

And just to elaborate on a point someone else already made, I have gone out of my way to find items I've seen here on the forum and know from comments about some of my pics that others have made the same effort on their end. A picture can sell an item easily.

Registered
thats wild, I have never had any issues and I take pics in stores all the time if I think someone might want what I have "found" or if I think my wife at home like me to pick it up or something or if I need a product number to do some online comparison shopping, etc.

Registered
My mom was in retail for years and told me about secret shoppers that would go to competitor stores and just LOOK at prices and displays...no camera phones back then...when one was spotted they were thrown out of the store! I could never figure out why that was such a crime...lol!

Registered
My mom was in retail for years and told me about secret shoppers that would go to competitor stores and just LOOK at prices and displays...no camera phones back then...when one was spotted they were thrown out of the store! I could never figure out why that was such a crime...lol!
all the big stores do that, it's how they all stay competitive and why you see a lot of the same prices in different stores. A lot of suppliers also price lock their merchandise so all retail stores pretty much have to sell the stuff at that price. I have heard that price locking is illegal but they still do it. Ever seen commercials that say "top brand names slashed but we cant mention their names on TV"?

Some stores also sell damaged or returned items at reduced prices or refurbished, I've heard WalMart does this, I've also heard Walmart has items made just for them that arent as good a quality as the "same" items you see in other stores at a higher price. Cookware is one of these items, some brands make low quality versions of their cookware and sell them to Walmart and then the higher quality might be sold at Macys or other stores.

Registered
If someone said something to me, I would take their picture. Then keep taking their picture until they assaulted me. Then I would sue and own the store and all the freaky Halloween merchandise! What fun! ... Where's my camera?

Grand Poobah
I do this on a daily basis, taking photos in retailers, and it really depends on the employee.

All major retailers have no-photograph policies, it just is rarely enforced. My understanding is the main reason is to protect pricing/merchandising strategy. Security may be a reason, but I would think that would be secondary. I specifically go in to monitor pricing and merchandising for that retailer's benefit, but also for our other retailer's benefit. So if I take photos of Walmart, Target sees them. And Walmart sees my Target photos. They both know it goes on.

I typically sign in as a vendor and just tell the department manager what I am doing, and things work out. However... some stores absolutely forbid it. I have been asked to delete photos at Target and I was kicked out of a Rite-Aid.

But 99% of the time, no one even looks my way when I'm taking a hundred pictures of an aisle.

Interestingly enough, I've learned how to pick out Walmart loss prevention narcs pretty well in the past couple years. Yeah, they have 'em and they tend to look like someone you wouldn't make eye contact with.

My best advice? Turn off the flash and take the pictures. Or take with your phone and act like you are messaging your buddy or something. Just don't use the flash!

Registered
I agree with monstergramma - I used to work in a mall in a bad area, and they had a very strict "no photography" policy because people would come in and take pictures and then the place would get robbed a few days later. Cash smash and grabs mostly, so they had to stop everyone taking pictures, even in common areas like the food court!

Of course, this was about 10 years ago, and I highly doubt these were master criminals, since spycams were easy to come by, even back then... so I can see why some places do it. These days, if I need to snap a shot, I do so very subtly with my camera phone when no one is looking :)

Registered
I'm sorry, but that's pretty stupid if a store gets robbed based on someone taking a picture. If some store gets robbed, and you see people taking pictures before, the store has cameras, and can see if it was any of those people that was taking pictures.

Why would a robber be SEEN in a store before they rob the store (especially something obvious like taking pictures - how many people do that)? That makes absolutely no sense.

Registered
I'm sorry, but that's pretty stupid if a store gets robbed based on someone taking a picture. If some store gets robbed, and you see people taking pictures before, the store has cameras, and can see if it was any of those people that was taking pictures.

Why would a robber be SEEN in a store before they rob the store (especially something obvious like taking pictures - how many people do that)? That makes absolutely no sense.

They're criminals, if they were smart, they'd have jobs.

I've been a store detective for 13 years and they just keep getting dumber every year.......

A Great Pumpkin
I've taken pictures with my phone, but tried to be discreet about it, and not taken too many. Competition in this economy is pretty fierce, and it has everyone trying to protect what's theirs.

Registered
I don't live near enough and am working too many hours to just go to the stores on a whim, so the pictures you guys post help me narrow in on what it is I want...Bottom line in my case is your pics create sales for the stores....I drove 90 miles 1 way to get the scaretaker because of someone's pic on here...I'm making a special trip over to Target next week to try to get one of those tombstones someone posted and I checked out Target's web site after seeing that pic and there are more items I want to get BUT I would have never checked Target in the first place for lack of time if it wasn't for that posted pic....Whoever posted that video of Spirit in Mn. did a great job as far as a sales pitch goes....I've been saving LOT'S of money for when the local Spirit opens....It really pays for retail to let you take those pics...That's just my experience...Now take everyone else on here that's went out and bought something because someone posted a pic on here and how many purchases would that add up to?!!!....ZR

1 - 20 of 52 Posts