Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a Picoboo 104 that I got last year with a trigger from Fright Ideas and this year will be purchasing some others.

But is there a way to trigger them without purchasing their triggers or motion detectors? Guess I should say, does anyone have a tutorial or info on how to wire up your own trigger for a picoboo?

Trying to save money and get a third picoboo instead of kits for each, so curious if anyone has documentation on a trigger for it.

Will be doing an electric chair and want to have a big button or flipswitch or something menacing that will activate the pneumatics, fog machine, strobe and built in sound.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I used a home security PIR sensor to trigger mine. All I had to do was switch the picoboo to use a normally closed trigger. Buying the home security ones are harder than I thought as I haven't found any decently priced ones around. I haven't tried yet, but I'm going to pick up a driveway alert alarm from harbor freight to do some testing with.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so if you did your own trigger, will this work?

run speaker wires from the picoboo and attach to a light switch?

I am thinking of having a box with 4 light switches in it, one for each picoboo prop. So you flick the switch when you want prop activated.

Some little kids we do not activate some props on, so more control is better than motion detector ... right now.

thoughts if that would work? I am far from electrical knowledgeable. :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Best to use a momentary switch, not an on/off switch. The Pico Boo wants a short on signal to start.
A push button like a door bell switch works good.
Pete

·
Registered
668 Posts
Okay, so if you did your own trigger, will this work?

run speaker wires from the picoboo and attach to a light switch?

I am thinking of having a box with 4 light switches in it, one for each picoboo prop. So you flick the switch when you want prop activated.

Some little kids we do not activate some props on, so more control is better than motion detector ... right now.

thoughts if that would work? I am far from electrical knowledgeable. :)

As captpete said, a push button switch would work better than a light switch. It wouldn't hurt it to use a flip switch, just easier to push a button that will reset to neutral rather than a switch that you have to remember to flip back. I guess one good thing about the switch is, if you want the scare to run continuously for a while, the light switch can be left "on" and it will keep cycling through the scare.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I am not sure if you can continually trigger the controller without causing trouble? Although it does have a non re trigger timer so it won't accept another trigger until timed out. I would stick with the momentary switch or a PIR.
The controller has a loop feature if needed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay great news!

Thank you both,

I do not require it to run continuously so did not think of that with the light switch. The doorbell option works just as well ... just need something gathered together in a box that I can control from my location... so push button it is.

I have the 12g speaker wire already, so next trip to surplus store or home depot will get doorbells.

weekend project!

·
Registered
668 Posts
This is right from the picoboo manual.

image.jpg

A toggle or light switch is perfectly ok to use for continuous playback of scare sound, with being able to also go back to ambient when/if needed.

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
Along these same lines...does anyone know where to find the 4-wire Passive Inrared motion sensors, like the one Frightprops sells, for cheaper than Frightprops sells them?

It needs to be 12v, and activate a contact closure between two of the wires.

Most of the other sensors I've found (radio shack, etc.) have three wires, are 3.3v or 5v, and just output a voltage pulse on the third wire. I don't know how to get this type of PIR to work as a contact closure. If anyone else knows how to use this type of PIR to trigger a PicoBoo 104, or a Monster Guts Nerve Center, I'm all ears.

A good, contact closure step mat (for less than $20) would also be cool.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Along these same lines...does anyone know where to find the 4-wire Passive Inrared motion sensors, like the one Frightprops sells, for cheaper than Frightprops sells them?

Most of the other sensors I've found (radio shack, etc.) have three wires, are 3.3v or 5v, and just output a voltage pulse on the third wire. I don't know how to get this type of PIR to work as a contact closure. If anyone else knows how to use this type of PIR to trigger a PicoBoo 104, or a Monster Guts Nerve Center, I'm all ears.

I used a home security PIR sensor. Had to switch the pico boo to NC instead on NO trigger. I haven't found a good source for them though. Thrift store or habitat for humanity may have some.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Did you end up finding some cheaper versions of the 4 wire PIR sensors? I need 10 of these and have already blown my budget!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts