Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a "Monster in a coffin" this year using a PicoBoo Plus controller and a simple timer to start the action. I have 2 8 ohm speakers connected to it as well as a wiper motor, led lights, and a fog machine. It is powered by a 10 amp 12v power supply. It has been working perfectly for about 5 days now. Last night it started working intermittently. It would come on and then run only half the program and stop suddenly. Then sometimes less than half. Could the components in the PicoBoo or simple timer be getting contaminated with the fog? I covered the devices with a cut trash bag, but only on top.

It seems to me without testing it yet that the motor is bogging down from possibly the bracket on the lid. The cog wheel isn't running smooth anymore. But would the whole program stop because the motor stops? Or could it be the components getting messed up because of the fog?

Any thoughts or personal experiences with these components?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Well first off, yes the fog can get into electronics and possibly damage so they should be protected. That being said, it sounds like the motor bogging may be drawing too much current and the power supply is shutting down. Once it does that (and it happens very quickly) the program gets reset.

·
Registered
211 Posts
To echo what J-Man said, you want to keep all electronics away from fog, no different than spraying you electronics with a water bottle.

Also, in regards to the power supply, as it sounds like the power supply may be overworked. Anytime I run a wiper motor, I either upsize the power supply or give it it's own dedicated power supply. I would temporally replace the wiper motor with a indicator light and run the program. If it runs all the way through, then I would take a look at your power supply.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well first off, yes the fog can get into electronics and possibly damage so they should be protected. That being said, it sounds like the motor bogging may be drawing too much current and the power supply is shutting down. Once it does that (and it happens very quickly) the program gets reset.
Would it not running smooth cause it to draw more amps? Strange that it has been running fine for 5 days. Guess I need to open the lid and try running it without the lid closed and see what happens. Can I put something on the wheel or the nylon spacer to make it smoother and not bind? The only thing drawing current is the wiper motor and speakers. The fog machine is plugged into a separate outlet as are the led lights. The PicoBoo is just turning them on and off. It seems 10 amps should be enough.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
If leaving the lid open will let the motor run without binding, yes, try that. Keep in mind that the rating on power supplies is not always true, add to that a binding motor and it could easily cause the power supply to shut down and reset.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If leaving the lid open will let the motor run without binding, yes, try that. Keep in mind that the rating on power supplies is not always true, add to that a binding motor and it could easily cause the power supply to shut down and reset.
Good to know. These homemade animatronics can be a pain.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
The lid was not opening enough from the chains I had on it. All fixed now.
Thanks
That'll do it. The motor was getting stalled and drawing too much current from the power supply which in turn caused it to shut down and reset. I would still protect your electronics from fog exposure if you haven't already. 🎃

1 - 8 of 8 Posts