Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Pico controller site says to not use a hardware store motion sensor to trigger the Pico, but I cannot find anything else around town...and I'm running out of town.
Has anyone got one to work? The one I have has black, white and red wires no ground. The one I got from fight ideas with my other Pico has red, green, white and black wires.

Any suggestions?Thanks!! attached a picture of what I have IMG_00000880.jpg

Thanks!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Best to use the ones from Fright Props. You can use other types, but the security light one puts out too much voltage. I think the pico sees like 5 volt or something like that.
If you read up on it you can modify them, I never had any luck with this though.
Pete

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best to use the ones from Fright Props. You can use other types, but the security light one puts out too much voltage. I think the pico sees like 5 volt or something like that.
If you read up on it you can modify them, I never had any luck with this though.
Pete
I was afraid someone would say that, I don't think I have time to get one from there... :-(

·
Registered
527 Posts
You can use a push button or a mat switch instead. Depending on what you are animating that might work.
Motion detectors are OK, but sometimes its better to trigger a scare manually with a hidden switch or push button.
Pete

·
Registered
26 Posts
check this site out file:///G:/Helloween%20%20IDEAS/WebPages/Hacking%20a%20motion%20sensor.htm look at step 10 picture. It was pretty identical relay switch soldering to the one i did.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i use 12 volt walwart which powers a 12 volt relay. wire the walwart to terminals 85 & 86, then wire 30 & 87 to the trigger termnials on your picoboo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bert what's a walwart? I have some relays around so assuming I know what it is I could wire that ip. Going to make a trip into town to check out some security stores and see if they have any low voltage sensors or beams.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You would turn the relay on with the security light motion sensor, which would close the contacts and start the pico boo. It would hook up to the pico boo just like a push button on the wiring diagram. The relay can be powered by various voltages. If you have a 12V relay, then the motion sensor could turn on a 12 v power supply transformer (wall wart). This would energize the relay.
Pete

·
Registered
361 Posts
here is a pic of one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/electro-harmonix-us12ac-1000-power-adapter?source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CLXbz7qmvLoCFQVBQgod6FoA-w&kwid=productads-plaid%5E57301867267-sku%[email protected]%5EPLA-device%5Et-adid%5E30422087907
it doesn't take many milliamps to power a 12 volt relay. i buy mine from the goodwill.

you could use these: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-125-2-Pole-2-Wire-Adapter/dp/B001PCVTFC/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1383059024&sr=1-4&keywords=outlet+socket+adapter to plug your adapter in. i wire an extension cord in place of the sockets: image.jpg [ATTACh

btw, make sure when recording animation that you leave a little buffer at the end. what i mean by that is when recording your animation don't use the full 2 mins. let your pico keep recording at the end without pushing anything. this will let the tot's walk away so it wont keep triggering, also depending on your motion sensor it might not turn off on time and keep triggering your prop ( make sure you set the motion sensor to "test" mode)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts