Halloween Forum banner

PIB's Forbidden Tiki Island, 2015

51842 Views 229 Replies 40 Participants Last post by  pumpkinpie
Got a start today on the Forbidden Tiki Island, our theme for 2015, by putting together this wreath. The base is a super-large pine wreath on clearance right now at Michaels. Then, I attached stems of tropical leaves that I found at Dollar Tree. The mask was a yard sale find about a year ago, with pheasant feathers for its headdress and a DT grass skirt attached at the chin. I am thinking of adding some peacock feathers to add some height to the headdress, but will save that for closer to display time so they won't get crushed in storage. I also added some purple battery-operated LED lights that I just found at 75% off at Big Lots. It felt so good to get started this weekend. More to come.

101 - 120 of 230 Posts

· Far Away Eyes
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Finishing up a couple of paper mache skulls for the display. They started out as plastic skulls from the 99-Cent-Only store. I never liked them because they looked like alien heads, more than skulls, so thought of making them over. I used paper mache, and then paper clay over that to change their looks. Coated with a black rubber spray coating and several layers of paint colors. Once I seal them with a clear coating, I think they will hold up fine this October.

· Registered
458 Posts
Thanks all. Today's project was these happy little shrunken heads, all ready for the Tiki party.

This one will go in the hand of a headhunter skeleton by the front porch. He can hold it by its hair.

These are made with Dollar Tree skulls and toy hair extensions. The bones are made of air-dry clay.
what paint did you use to color these. they look awesome ..

· Far Away Eyes
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I finally decided what to do for the guest bathroom. It is going to be the Disenchanted Tiki Room, loosely based on the Disney attraction. Lots of tropical birds, tikis, flowers, and some Halloween mixed in. Today, I made the sign for the room. It is made from Dollar Tree surfboard-shaped wooded signs that I painted over.

Here is what the original DT signs look like:

· Far Away Eyes
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Made this bird perch out of paper mache for the guest bathroom "Disenchanted Tiki Room." The fake birds were at a high school rummage sale very cheap. I added a long tail feather and a long toothpick beak to make a couple look different from the others.

May have to do something to spook it up a bit, (daughter suggests painting their eyes red), but I think it adds to the Tiki Room atmosphere in any case.

A little better:

· Registered
15,098 Posts
Made this bird perch out of paper mache for the guest bathroom "Disenchanted Tiki Room." The fake birds were at a high school rummage sale very cheap. I added a long tail feather and a long toothpick beak to make a couple look different from the others.

May have to do something to spook it up a bit, (daughter suggests painting their eyes red), but I think it adds to the Tiki Room atmosphere in any case.

A little better:

I SO LOVE your creativity PIB! Reminds me of a tiki room with your clever grass skirt lamp shade. The birds look great perched on it. Adding the tail feathers and long beaks was a great idea for some diversity. I think I would probably paint the beaks black although they may not show up as well as the lighter color...would depend on background colors. Do the bird perches hang from the ceiling?

· Far Away Eyes
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
This project is something I hope to use on the main sign I make for the display this year. I am following a YouTube tutorial to make a rotting skull to attach to a wooden sign that reads, "Forbidden Tiki Island." You start by cutting the jaw off of a pre-made foam skull. And the teeth. Then put it back together with skewers and Great Stuff.

101 - 120 of 230 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.