Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a problem with this all over the site, and I'm wondering if anyone can help. While cruising around the forums, I will stop to look at a particular thread. I can see everyone's post, but I don't see any pictures of what they are referring to. There's nowhere to click to see the image, no link, no nothing. Just the posts. I'm logged in. My setting say to show all images, but I don't see what all you good people seem to see. I know you're all seeing the images, because you're commenting about how cool they look.

Any help on helping me find these disappearing images would be greatly appreciated. Ghosts disappearing is fine, but images should be forever visible. :)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
Some of it may be due to the recent migration to the cloud for our site, and the admin are aware but definitely good to put this here so they know it's still happening (it is).

But some of it may also be due to age/accessibility of the older images.

Photobucket used to allow 3rd party sharing/hosting to all, and a large number of images posted over they years are linked to individual members' Photobucket accounts, but they changed policy in the last few years to start demanding a yearly fee for 3rd party hosting and if they weren't paid, then you'd see a blank or worse, a generic photobucket access denied placeholder.

And also you can't rule out that old posts (more than 2-3 years) might have been linked from the member's existing albums, websites and such, and the poster may have deleted, moved, or failed to renew their website and thus the images are gone forever.

Unless the image host sites are free and accessible forever no matter what, there will always be missing info, because members move on, pass away or otherwise lose interest in maintaining their accounts, and if off-site, we can't do anything about it. We do have albums on Halloween Forum, and it is possible to upload images here and as long as folks use those to upload to their posts, that will allow the posts themselves to maintain their images.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As much as it pains me to see wonderful work disappear into the ether, I have made peace with seeing the Photobucket notices that tell me the images are no longer available. But the newer ones seem to be missing because of something entirely different.

Case in point, one that you even commented on: https://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/196722-tombstone-shortcut.html no longer shows the photos, and even the poster, Dogbite, can't see what he initially posted only a few weeks ago. His reposting of the photo after I made a comment about it also doesn't show up.

I understand general weirdness occurs when the name Google comes into the picture. Their map system shows our dead end road as a way to get to a local park, and the picture of what is supposed to be our home is actually a home a block away on a different street. :) As long as it's a known issue and folks are working on fixing it, I'm content. But let's hope none of the spirits in those photos get restless when they realize no one can see them.

Thanks for everything you all do,

Eric

·
Registered
194 Posts
As much as it pains me to see wonderful work disappear into the ether, I have made peace with seeing the Photobucket notices that tell me the images are no longer available. But the newer ones seem to be missing because of something entirely different.

Case in point, one that you even commented on: https://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/196722-tombstone-shortcut.html no longer shows the photos, and even the poster, Dogbite, can't see what he initially posted only a few weeks ago. His reposting of the photo after I made a comment about it also doesn't show up.

I understand general weirdness occurs when the name Google comes into the picture. Their map system shows our dead end road as a way to get to a local park, and the picture of what is supposed to be our home is actually a home a block away on a different street. :) As long as it's a known issue and folks are working on fixing it, I'm content. But let's hope none of the spirits in those photos get restless when they realize no one can see them.

Eric
I, too am experiencing the same problem, as with Dogbite's attempt just yesterday to re-post his tombstone pic. Thank you, Frankie's Girl, for addressing the issue for us!

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts

Eric
Hm, that appears to be from an local album...

What browser are you using to view the site?

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Trying to compile a complete list of these for the Forum Tech Gurus.

This one appears to be the attachment was lost somehow when they did the update.

I've seen another where it just doesn't load properly on certain browsers. If you could all link to examples, that would be beneficial.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hm, that appears to be from an local album...

What browser are you using to view the site?
I have tried viewing the photos on Firefox, Chrome, and Opera. None of them seem to show the photos on the link I provided: https://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/196722-tombstone-shortcut-2.html

The follow up of other members not seeing the photos seems to point to the fact that I am not alone. I have been seeing it in multiple areas around the forum, but if the post is over a year old, I am writing them off as MIA. It's just the more recent ones seem linked to the migration, and I'm hoping at least those might find their way to the site.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
https://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/196754-need-help-deciding-georgie-should-i-buy.html

https://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/196474-what-can-i-do.html

This is a fairly typical display where it says, "Attached Thumbnails" but doesn't show them. I chose the first one because a moderator seems to have seen the pictures and responded to the question of which he preferred. The second one was just the next thread I looked at. There really are bunches of them out there.

And here's another common version. Talk about a posted picture, but none showing up. This one was just last May, so I'm thinking it probably didn't suffer from being linked to a site that's no longer there.

https://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/195874-final-stones.html

I've been looking at the prop forum for new ideas, and I keep stumbling across them. Hope that helps.

·
Administrator
667 Posts
Hello all,

As you may know, we have been migrating our sites over to Google Cloud in order to help with outages and site speed, as well as added security. While doing this change, we are also converting the site to https. which you can read more about here https://techterms.com/definition/https

You may have noticed these changes may be causing some site issues. We are working with Google and VB to help us find long term solutions to these issues instead of bandage fixes and patches that seem to break more than they repair.

We understand that this is impacting your experience on the site, and we hope you understand that we are working on addressing all issue. We apologize for any inconvenience, and hope to have the forums back up and running asap.

We are aware of the image not showing under thumbnails. If you are having issues, please try to only report if you are certain that they have not already been logged. This will ensure the support team is focused on identifying new issues and helping test the fixes as they are rolled out.

Ed

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I noticed my thread lost every picture I posted in the first post here:
https://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/196338-finally-figured-out-lazy-mold-making-tecnique-fiberglass-awesome.html
I uploaded all the pics to an album in my profile and then I posted the BB code for each one in the post like I've done for years....Not only did it wipe out the photos in the thread but it wiped out all the photos in the album as well!....I thought maybe the site got hacked because I noticed it was all screwy one late evening I checked in...Couldn't click on any threads and there was a lot of blank boxes with weird words...I figured they must have had to go back days/weeks to reset and I lost them in the shuffle.....The album that got erased is here:
https://www.halloweenforum.com/members/zombieraider-albums-fiber-glass.html
Maybe someone can make sense of that?.....LOL....Good Luck...ZR

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just tried clicking on a link to a picture (right click to open in a new window) and the picture didn't open. I realized I wasn't logged in so I logged in. Once logged in the link to the picture wasn't even there to click on.

Just an FYI. Not sure if it's a setting I need to change, or maybe the browser (safari).

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I just tried clicking on a link to a picture (right click to open in a new window) and the picture didn't open. I realized I wasn't logged in so I logged in. Once logged in the link to the picture wasn't even there to click on.

Just an FYI. Not sure if it's a setting I need to change, or maybe the browser (safari).
I stay logged in all the time and my pics are still not showing up in the link I posted above....They aren't showing up in the album either...I did create a new album and those pics showed up for a newer part of the thread I uploaded over the weekend....I suppose I should delete that old album and reload the pics into a new album and re-upload the code if I want the pics to show up in the thread again....I was hoping the administrators would take care of it...They don't exactly get paid for their time they put into it so you can't really complain....LOL....Anyway, I don't think it's a setting on your end....ZR

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was hoping the administrators would take care of it...They don't exactly get paid for their time they put into it so you can't really complain....LOL....Anyway, I don't think it's a setting on your end....ZR
Sometimes it's out of the administrator's hands. Under perfect circumstances, when they migrated the site over to the new Google Cloud servers everything should have transferred seamlessly. But this is the Internet, and there are no perfect circumstances. Most of the glitches we're suffering from aren't really things the administrators can change. They're caused by the provider of the cloud servers, and that's Google.

For over three years, we've been telling Google their maps are wrong and that they lead people down our one lane dead end road in search of a park that's not accessible, but totally visible, from that dead end road. Today, we have scores of cars coming down our road trying to get to a big event in the park. Instead they wind up realizing that Google Maps doesn't update their mistakes very quickly, if ever. I suspect that the administrators are pulling out their hair trying to get things updated and fixed, and I suspect that Google is dragging their feet. So, be kind to those who more than likely want this site to work the way it used to. For they are just like all the rest of us. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts