Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Yep, that's the one I use. I also use an ECA (white) bulb alongside the blue. The F/X box can handle 500 watts so you can double up on the bulbs. Don't be worried about the 3 hour life that is advertised for these bulbs - I've been using one pair for 3 years now. Each lightning flash is only a few secs, so they'll last a long time. They run hot so keep 'em dry.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I ordered the fx box, blue and white photo bulbs. Went to Home Depot found those clamp light fixtures. The eight inch ones can only handle 150 watts you have to go up to 10 1/2 inches to handle 300 watt bulbs, but they are twice as much and twice as heavy. Can the smaller one handle it since it will only be for lightning effect and not continuous lighting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yep, that's the one I use. I also use an ECA (white) bulb alongside the blue. The F/X box can handle 500 watts so you can double up on the bulbs. Don't be worried about the 3 hour life that is advertised for these bulbs - I've been using one pair for 3 years now. Each lightning flash is only a few secs, so they'll last a long time. They run hot so keep 'em dry.
So that pushes the FX to the max 500 watt .....no blown fuses, as this is what I'm using this yr...(2) 250 watt bulbs 1 blue 1 white

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I found them locally and it's cheaper as all of the online stores charge $5 or more to ship which is the cost of one bulb at my local store.

Also...using the Xmas FX light controller...no one had any issues using (2) 250 watt bulbs...as this pushes it to the max 500 watt...?

...and I have the small clamp lights from Home Depot but it only handles 75 watts...dunno if that will work, so prob gonna have to go w\ two others that I have rated for 120 watts...what do ya think?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Photo lights are a great idea, but as Otaku alluded to they run very hot so keep them dry as they will explode if they get wet while heated,(they don't call them hot lights in the photo industry for nothing):D. But they work great!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Photo lights are a great idea, but as Otaku alluded to they run very hot so keep them dry as they will explode if they get wet while heated,(they don't call them hot lights in the photo industry for nothing):D. But they work great!!
Wet as in actual drops of water or any moisture? As I live in central FL so we shouldn't have frost or anything at the time of night I will be using them, but how about fog, will that affect them you think?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Anyone know where to get like orange bulbs for that Fx Controller? I wanna my lamp to flicker in my den for outside trick o treaters!

·
Banned
524 Posts
OK cool...but how about the wattage issues I mentioned...?
That is a coin flip issue though IMO. I mean they won't be on long enough to draw a constant current. But that is a huge wattage jump even if it is just for a split second. If anything it is bulb that is rated more then the socket. So my guess would be you just wouldn't get the full 250 watt light the bulb produces by using a 75 or 120 watt fixture. If you were using a larger fixture with a smaller wattage bulb then yea I could see that being a problem. I would double check with a lic electrician. The only effect you might get from it is the bulb exploding but IMO that is not likely by my theory.

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
I'm using the 150 watt clamp fixtures with mine and I don't expect any problems. It's more of a heat concern rather than a wire gauge or socket issue. The bulbs won't be on all the time so it should be fine. On the other hand, they do get very hot compared to normal bulbs. There is a track record on using these and no one has reported any problems yet.

The bulbs will not explode no matter what you do (short of dripping cold water on them, in which case they may fracture and implode).

I went with two blue bulbs. The light produced looks white with a slight blue tint. However, my setup may be different from yours. I'll be using one fixture on each side of a driveway pointing up into the crown of a palm tree. If you used two fixtures right next to each other you might see a benefit from two colors but I don't think it's really going to make a difference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cool thx for the info...yeah I had to get one of each as thats all they had...they will be used together shining on one of the cornersof my house...lighting the front and side.

Guess I will use the 120 watt fixtures and see how hot it gets.

On another note....do you all use a sound effect that has two tracks so you have thunder then lightning and how long do your flashes last?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts