Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there has been a Phantom of the Opera themed haunt done? Thinking about that for my 2016 haunt.... Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I haven't seen it done, but it sounds like it has a lot of potential. The labyrinth under the opera house could be amazing!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was something I thought of while doing research for my Phantom makeup tutorials on YouTube.... I'm gonna go ahead and start doing some concept art.... Maybe I'll put Houdini on hold.... I dunno... what do you think?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Either one sounds very good. If you've already done some brainstorming on the Houdini theme, you could go ahead with it and just keep the Phantom theme percolating on the back burner. I regularly gather ideas for themes I'm not yet working on.
You could even keep an "ideas" document for both, and see which one you favor when you have potential plans laid out for each. It's not a bad idea to have a rough idea how much time, space, effort, and money it would take to make things look the way you want.
Whichever one appeals to you most is what you should go with. Both have great potential.
Are you thinking of a yard haunt or an indoor party...or something else?

Edit-- ah, I think that's answered on your script thread. I'll do a read through in a bit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either one sounds very good. If you've already done some brainstorming on the Houdini theme, you could go ahead with it and just keep the Phantom theme percolating on the back burner. I regularly gather ideas for themes I'm not yet working on.
You could even keep an "ideas" document for both, and see which one you favor when you have potential plans laid out for each. It's not a bad idea to have a rough idea how much time, space, effort, and money it would take to make things look the way you want.
Whichever one appeals to you most is what you should go with. Both have great potential.
Are you thinking of a yard haunt or an indoor party...or something else?

Edit-- ah, I think that's answered on your script thread. I'll do a read through in a bit.
No worries... I'm going to change themes from Houdini to Phantom... I'm an actor with 8+ years of experience, so naturally, to me, the Phantom theme seems for fitting...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hhh, I'm trying to steer away from the masquerade scene. I think I'll probably end up with Red Death on a mannequin like the Phantom is making his own costume.

·
Registered
509 Posts
This is a easy one. If you have ever seen the opera itself, think of the boating scene. You could get lots of those candelabras for the yard with lots of fog machines to cover the ground. A small boat/dingy above the fog with a phantom in it along with the girl.

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,730 Posts
Perfect Sidnami

I had thought of putting the phantom at a homemade piano with candles and fog with Christine in a singing pose on a stage looking set up. I love the boat idea though. I guess a way to decide would be which would be easier to get or make, a boat or a piano.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm sure this scene could be adapted into a sewer scene. Having some rat-based scares wouldn't hurt, either. I vaguely recall a version of the story where it's claimed the legends of a ghost haunting the opera house predate Erik's arrival and adaption of the "Phantom" title. Perhaps you could have a flying crank ghost or pepper's ghost make an appearance as the "original" phantom?

When you revisit your Houdini theme, you might want to consider looking into his association with H.P. Lovecraft. There's a great audio adaptation of the story "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs" (which stars Houdini and was ghostwritten for him by Lovecraft) that comes with several prop documents you might find useful. This Lovecraft creation might also be an interesting addition to your theme.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts