Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not the right forum to post this in ??????

I am getting ready early for Halloween, and was wondering if anyone could recommend any books. I have ones like Dracula and Frankenstein and Carmilla but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for any others. :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is the correct forum :) As far as books goes, are you looking for good horror books to read, or books regarding ways to haunt your house?

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,674 Posts
One of my favorite authors is Ray Bradbury. Most people think of science fiction when his name is mentioned, but he's written some great horror stories. "The Halloween Tree" is a must-read. Some of his select short stories of horror are "The Emissary", "The Lake", "The Man Upstairs", "The Foghorn", and "The October Game". There are many others, but these are my favorites.

Here are a few other suggested authors:

Stephen King
Richard Matheson
Clive Barker
H. P. Lovecraft

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Horror works really well in short form. Some of the most defining literature in the field is short stories.
When you buy a collection of shorts, you get a lot of bang for your buck, and a crunchy little collection of cadaverous creepy for your crypt.

Poe is a great example but look into these works as well;

Algernon Blackwood - "The Willows", "The Great God Pan"
M.R. James - "Casting the Runes", "The Mezzotint"
Ambroise Bierce - "The Damned Thing", "An Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge"
H.P Lovecraft - "The Dunwich Horror", "The Haunter in the Dark", "The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward".
Karl Edward Wagner - "Sticks".
Robert E. Howard - "Pigeons From Hell" (don't let the title fool you, this thing is seriously spooky)
Harlan Ellison - "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream"
Robert Bloch - "Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper", "The Skull of the Marquis De Sade"
Clive Barker - "Rawhead Rex", "The Midnight Meat Train".
Stephen King - "The Raft," "Home Delivery", "Jerusalem's Lot"

Most of the authors mentioned above have anthologies of horrifying tales and macabre fables that should be on every ghoul's bookshelf.
Also, a lot of these shorts can be found online in full, especially those mentioned in the first few lines.
Hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts