Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26983254?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227018694545&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=26493482436&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=51984115476&veh=sem

The Perfect Storm allows your lights to flash on and off when you hear thunder. Simply play the CD supplied with the unit, plug in your lights to the Perfect Storm Box and place in front of CD player. When thunder is heard, lights will flash in synchronized fashion.

Life-Size Perfect Storm Halloween Prop:
Includes controller that flashes up to 1,000 watts of your own lights to sound of thunder
Includes CD with over one hour of sound effects
CD player not included
Material content: plastic
Care: spot clean
Do you have questions about this product? Ask a question.
SpecificationsTop of Page
Primary Color: Multi-Color
Multi Pack Indicator: No
Battery Type: Does Not Contain a Battery
Model No.: VA621
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 3.0
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 12.0 x 12.0 x 6.0
Walmart No.: 551649883

Now, I want to use these for the lights.
http://www.harborfreight.com/outdoor-floodlight-string-set-67083.html

The product manual says I need these flood lights: USE 150 WATT OR SMALLER, 120 VOLT,
PAR 38 TYPE R BULBS.

Does anybody have this prop? If so, any tips/pointers/ help? Yes, I am a barely functioning idiot when it comes to things like this.

Thanks for any posts, I appreciate it!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have been looking at this product too. Thank you for posting that youtube video. It's a bit to strobe-y for me, trips out my vertigo! I love the sound effects though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks like one of the comments on Amazon mentions they hacked to add a line input instead of using a mic. Guess I need to search the board here to see if anything about that is posted. I'd sure want to do that with this thing instead of relying on the mic. But still, looks really good for not a lot of dough.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got one of those boxes from walmart too for this year... I was also looking st that same string for lights from HF Too... Odd

HF sells some halogen bulbs for that string that are low wattage... But i'm not sure they'll be bright enough to mimic lightning...

I will be following this thread and will post my findings along the way

Good luck

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got one of those boxes from walmart too for this year... I was also looking st that same string for lights from HF Too... Odd

HF sells some halogen bulbs for that string that are low wattage... But i'm not sure they'll be bright enough to mimic lightning...

I will be following this thread and will post my findings along the way

Good luck
Good luck to you, too! And thanks everybody for chiming in.

If you Google "Perfect Storm Lightning" and "halloween forum" you will find a few threads about this product. I'd say that it does NOT seem to be a great product from what I have read, sadly. :(

However, I do not have a big haunt. I am a very basic haunter and I do not have the money or skill to do a *WOW* set up...even if this works a lil bit, it would still work for me.

I have 3 Gemmy witches I out on my porch, and using this machine and 3 floodlights on the porch to make a lightning and thunder effect would be awesome for my haunt. The witches and their cauldron with thunder and lightning would be a small area that even this el cheapo machine should be able to illuminate!

When I get this product I will be trying it out, and will let you all know how it went!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hollow, I think your haunt set-up as you describe sounds perfectly awesome. I am often 'WOW'ed by the more minimalistic haunts that have a clear theme and just a few props. They are so fundamental, memorable, and executed brilliantly! Like the Snow White haunt by pretender:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/124196-halloween-evil-queen.html

And this nod to the Haunted Mansion by minicooper82:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/86410-haunted-mansion-graveyard-disney.html

Note the video on page two. There is some thunder and lightning going on! Wonder if minicoop has the same machine!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I tried mine out with my living room lamp when it came, it works good

The thunder CD sounds pretty good

The sensitivity knob on the side definitely helps with stray or ambient noise, just keep a speaker nearby and it should be fine

·
Registered
606 Posts
After comparing prices for the zombie and the firefly lightning simulators, I think I'd be very happy with the perfect storm! Especially if what zombie stomp discovered works (adjusting the sensitivity knob).

·
Registered
153 Posts
This Box Rocks... I've used it for the last 3 or 4 years in our graveyard scene. You plug multiple floods into a power strip along with
the Perfect Storm unit - instant atmosphere. Once you get the gain adjusted, it's ready to go.
Also can be used for the after party. Crank up the jams with a few floods, magic !

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Wolf! Do you use a certain type of flood light?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hollow, I think your haunt set-up as you describe sounds perfectly awesome. I am often 'WOW'ed by the more minimalistic haunts that have a clear theme and just a few props. They are so fundamental, memorable, and executed brilliantly! Like the Snow White haunt by pretender:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/124196-halloween-evil-queen.html

And this nod to the Haunted Mansion by minicooper82:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/86410-haunted-mansion-graveyard-disney.html

Note the video on page two. There is some thunder and lightning going on! Wonder if minicoop has the same machine!
Those are super!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Suggest wiring in dimmer switches per each yard spike flood light fixture- for more light control-ability of light levels. Many yard haunters will over light their scenes will full lighting & take away from some of the theatrical mystery. The over all results will look better with lower lighting & really wow everyone. Thunderstorm nature cds work great too for an alternative to the supplied cd.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I too purchased the Zombie unit last year. It worked great. I started the unit as low as it would go and built up the sound and lightening effects til I got it to the point I wanted it at. Owners book states to be careful with these units because they do have some power to them. Make sure that whatever you hook up to it can handle the power.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I too purchased the Zombie unit last year. It worked great. I started the unit as low as it would go and built up the sound and lightening effects til I got it to the point I wanted it at. Owners book states to be careful with these units because they do have some power to them. Make sure that whatever you hook up to it can handle the power.
Can this be used with "Photo Flash" lamps that many use with the more pricey Firefly and i-Zombie units? Something like whatever the Bates Haunt uses. The brightness of the "Photo Flash" units seems to make the difference between something suggestive of lightning vs. holy-crap knock-your-socks-off brightness and impact. Don't need multiple channels and fancy options. And can't justify the high price of the Firefly or i-Zombie for one night a year--doing Halloween displays for longer than Halloween Night itself is a no-no in my Buckle of the Bible Belt neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I don't see it would not work. I ran two 100w lights from my unit and when I adjusted the unit to where I wanted it, it worked fine. I'm not going to give you a definite yes or no with this one. But a test at low and working your way up on power shouldn't hurt. It's what you want as to the type of effect your looking for. As for using it one night, with my cemetery, I'm using my unit a full ten days before Halloween adjusting and testing.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the replies, everybody. It seems like a simple, el cheapo machine, but I have less than zero experience with electricity stuff. I plug cords in and say "Hey I am done!"

I should get it soon and then will see if I can do something with it. I am very scared I will overload and break it, but will use just 2 small lights and see if it makes the porch look cool.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts