Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a perfect storm 2.0 box for this year.
I searched but didn't find anyone using LED bulbs with it...
It is rated for 1000W so I figure that it will run a lot of LED floodlight bulbs.
I ordered a couple 5500 lumen work LED lights and both of them(two different makes) have a 3 sec. delay when powered up....not ok.
Maybe it would work with delay on larger flashes? But not what I wanted....
I tested the Perfect Storm with a small Par20 7W LED bulb and it was instant on and seemed much better than old incandescent bulbs.
So I purchase a GE 13W Flood light bulb (1400 lumens) and tried it - also instant on... perfect.
So my plan is to place about 7 of these bulbs around house and on trees to give the effect more coverage.
I will be setting it up before 10/31 to test and place bulbs as they can stay outside till the day of....
Anyone have experience with this setup...?
Hope this helps others.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...good to know the Snap-on ones work and are instant on.
I spent $60 Canadian each for the two I bought and wasn't going to order others... if they all had delay?
The ones I bought were HyperIcon and TackLife- both 5000Lumens and a big delay on start up(at least 3 sec).
Both will work as a work light and are super bright! Plus they don't burn me like the old Halogen 500Watt one did.
I have noticed the power supplies that are newer electronic rather than old school transformer also have a fair lag after they are powered up before 12V is output - some 4 sec.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@Krusty, if youre going to use LED bulbs, youll get the best results if they're dimmable (the box you showed says non-dimmable). The non-dimming type often have a slight delay or an annoying flicker at partial brightness. This will be the second year for my lightning setup and ive got the bugs worked out after testing many different lights.

Im using Feit Electric dimmable led par30's, (90w equivalent) with a 5000k colour temp. (Blue tint). The effect is very convincing. You said you're in Canada (same here), I found them at Lowes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Korax.
I wondered about dimmable or non-dimmable and did some research.
As far as I could figure the non dimmable ones won't work at all with a dimmer.
Just full intensity until you turn it down enough that it goes off completely.
Maybe some differ.....?
Anyways I talked this over with a Technologically gifted person and he figured that the perfect storm box doesn't dim the bulbs but instead turns them on and off at a rapid rate. Fast rate for sure so it looks like it is dimming them. I can't confirm that for sure, but that is similar to the fuel injectors in your car where they just vary the pulse of fuel by changing the amount of time it is on vs off many times per second.

I have tested the non-dimmable bulbs that I showed the box for and they worked perfectly.... for 20 minutes at least.... that was as long as I tried them. I have 8 of them and plan to use them this year. See what happens...? I accept that whatever bulb I use it's going to have a reduced lifespan in this setup.
For sure it qualifies as Extreme Duty - turning them on & off steady for hours....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just did a quick test with the HyperIcon plugged in with an old school Halogen work lamp.
The HyperIcon only made the led's glow a bit except the very big hits and then it lit up fully.
The old school Halogen lit up on everything.
I have compared the halogen to the GE LED bulbs before and The GE LED's were far superior!
I did this test incase I was missing something- thinking that when you plug in the HyperIcon and it having a delay wasn't the same as it being powered by the perfect storm box.
Conclusion - any LED bulb with a delay on lighting is a fail!
must be an instant on bulb!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah if the perfect storm is pulse width modulated like you said, then a non-dimmable should work well as long as it's instant-on. My setup is based on a colour organ, using phase cut dimming... so dimmable leds are the way to go.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use my perfect storm with 2 halogen work lights from HF. Work great. Instant on and dim along with the sound. Here is a video of them in action.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Halogen works but I am looking for more coverage.... whole house and trees.
I am setting up 8 LED flood light bulbs in various locations on property.
The LED I tested was in my opinion superior to halogen in that it is instant on at full intensity like a flash bulb.
Halogen by nature of design are not as fast to light as the filament in bulb has to heat up... milliseconds yes...but.
I just wanted people to know that some of the LED floods don't work.
I can see that what you have set up works and does have a nice effect.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I purchased a perfect storm 2.0 box for this year.
I searched but didn't find anyone using LED bulbs with it...
It is rated for 1000W so I figure that it will run a lot of LED floodlight bulbs.
I ordered a couple 5500 lumen work LED lights and both of them(two different makes) have a 3 sec. delay when powered up....not ok.
Maybe it would work with delay on larger flashes? But not what I wanted....
I tested the Perfect Storm with a small Par20 7W LED bulb and it was instant on and seemed much better than old incandescent bulbs.
So I purchase a GE 13W Flood light bulb (1400 lumens) and tried it - also instant on... perfect.
So my plan is to place about 7 of these bulbs around house and on trees to give the effect more coverage.
I will be setting it up before 10/31 to test and place bulbs as they can stay outside till the day of....
Anyone have experience with this setup...?
Hope this helps others.
I got a Perfect Storm as well and haven’t gotten as far as you yet on finding the right lights. I was also thinking LEDs and will eagerly follow this thread :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been using lightning simulators for many years and have used all manner of bulbs, led, halogen, cfl's etc.. By far the best effects I found come from photo light bulbs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't video anything tonight....but I set my Perfect Storm up with 10 GE LED Floodlight bulbs that I showed earlier in this thread. It worked Awesome! I have side and front of house lit up as well as a giant pine tree on right side of driveway and the other tall trees on left of yard. I walked down the hill and it shows up very well from down there too! All set for this year.... It was running for a half hour with all 10 bulbs and no issues.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I didn't video anything tonight....but I set my Perfect Storm up with 10 GE LED Floodlight bulbs that I showed earlier in this thread. It worked Awesome! I have side and front of house lit up as well as a giant pine tree on right side of driveway and the other tall trees on left of yard. I walked down the hill and it shows up very well from down there too! All set for this year.... It was running for a half hour with all 10 bulbs and no issues.
I am just curious, did you try the line level input instead of the microphone? My line level does not seem to work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am just curious, did you try the line level input instead of the microphone? My line level does not seem to work.
I got mine working. I like the line level input instead of the microphone. The setup I’m using goes from my iPad to a 3.5mm audio splitter. Line 1 of the splitter goes to speakers (a guitar amp). Line 2 goes to the Input on the perfect storm. The input picks up the nuance of the thunder sounds without picking up other ambient sounds elsewhere.

These are the lights I’m using. They are dimmable LED spot and are able to pick up subtle changes in volume in my audio track. They look great.

Luxrite PAR30 LED Dimmable Bulb, 75W Equivalent, 5000K Bright White, 12W LED Flood Light Bulb, 850 Lumens, Energy Star & UL Listed, E26 Base, Damp Location - Indoor/Outdoor (4 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SBV8BL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Hh1JDb29PX304

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes both the mic and line in work fine.
I used the line in direct to my phone for testing last night as I didn’t have any sound hooked up. I will for the party and Halloween night but don’t want to drive my neighbours crazy.
Someone has the soundtrack that comes with the Perfect Storm on U tube.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These are the lights I’m using. They are dimmable LED spot and are able to pick up subtle changes in volume in my audio track. They look great.

Luxrite PAR30 LED Dimmable Bulb, 75W Equivalent, 5000K Bright White, 12W LED Flood Light Bulb, 850 Lumens, Energy Star & UL Listed, E26 Base, Damp Location - Indoor/Outdoor (4 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SBV8BL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Hh1JDb29PX304
Thanks for actually showing people the exact bulbs you use and tested to work!
I found out the hard way that 2 of the top name (tacklife & Hypericon) 5000 lumen stand alone work lights don't work with perfect storm as they have a significant start delay built in.
I bought the cheapest bulbs at Walmart and they work great even though they are non-dimmable.
This makes sense as the unit is not a dimmer box but turns the lights on and off at a rate that responds to the sound inputed.
For anyone interested in the look inside a perfect storm 2.0 and repair of unit see this video
perfect storm 2.0 repair video.
He figures it died because he had to much volume going into line in wire from his CD player...
I have just been using mine with my phone so far and it is low volume from ear phone jack.
You can see inside the perfect storm unit that there is just a simple switching relay controlling the light output.
NO fancy dimmer circuit or anything like that.... so any LED that is instant on is good!
Actually better than Halogen in my testing as the halogen bulb does not reach full brightness on small flickers when LED does! This is just based on my experience.....!
Whatever bulb you find that works is great and my experience was the dimmable ones were more money.
just hoping to help.......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts