Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so iv been checking out Peppers Ghosts How Too's for a while. My project is to have two ghosts walkin through the Cemetery of my haunt. Can anyone help me out with some instructions. I really want this to be done for this years Haunt.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You really need to control what the viewer sees and the lighting levels. That is why it is usally done in a room.

I have heard the cheapest way to build the large beam splitter is with a wood frame and the wheather proofing film that you heat up with a hair dryer to shrink it to fit.

I am not sure you could pull it off in a graveyard.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iv seen it done at a piano. If that can get done, why can I not get it to walk the graveyard. It would be by far the coolest prop of 09. Lets all try and work on this and get this done. Whoever is interested, lets get to work people.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well I suppose this would be possible if your ghost was inside of a tomb. You also got to remember that for every square foot of space in the display, you need that same amount of space for your source. On top of that I think part of the illusion is to make it look like there isnt that room on the side.

Maybe you are looking for more of a projection solution? Disney upgraded its Pirates of the Caribean ride in the last couple years. Added a projection of Davie Jones that hits a mist barrier. Was a pretty neat effect.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
If I wanted to make one of these would my old patio doors work? I didn't want to throw them out yet if I could recycle them.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Always wondered how Disney did those dancing ghosts! And now I can visualize the alternate room sitting above where your ride goes through.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So maybe projection is my best bet. Does anyone know how to actually make the illusion of the disney haunted mansion? Like step by step directions?

·
Registered
522 Posts
If I wanted to make one of these would my old patio doors work? I didn't want to throw them out yet if I could recycle them.
Yes, patio doors will work just fine, in fact they are usually plastic coated so if they break they don't fall into pieces that could hurt someone.

The other small issue with glass is that it actually will provide a double image, one reflection from the front of the glass and a second from the back side of the glass. The glass is usually thin enough that this problem is negligible, and adds to the "ghost" effect.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
We did a Pepper's Ghost many years ago, one of my daughter's friends, all draped in white cotton serving as the "ghost". The plexi was full width, 48". It worked well, but only about 1/2 of the kids viewing actually saw it. They were so excited, not paying attention, the effect lasted five seconds and they missed it. We had kids coming back just to "see the ghost", but, by then, the scare factor had been lost.
Doing it right, as jerzieboi wants to pull it off, would take a lot of space and resources. But it would be awesome! And, being outside, strong wind could ruin it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Patio doors work just fine, but they are so cumbersome to work with, that (even though I have them) I prefer to do the shrink wrap plastic-across-a frame trick. I have also used old glass screen doors simply leaned at an angle against a window. Simply turn a TV or projector so that it is facing up into the glass and reflecting out the window and voila! You have a bright see though effect!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts