Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using shrink film secondary glazing over a frame for a pepper's ghost illusion?

This stuff is very cheap so can be re-done each year but it is extremely transparent so I'm not sure how well it would work?

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
This was done and detailed instructions were in an issue of Popular Mechanics many years ago.

The effect, although it does work is not as good as glass but hey like you said it's cheap and disposable. The key is to use a metal frame made from electrical conduit. anything else including wood warps due to the shrinkage of the film. I have tried it and it works ok but make sure your lighting is perfect, otherwise it's hard to see the image.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it work better than glass. Which would be better then - glass or rigid plastic?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Although, plastic may be easier to deal with (les chance of breakage) it can scuff and scratch far too easily. I set up a Pepper's Ghost effect for a local Haunt. It worked out really well and they've used it every year since but they bought a sheet of acrylic and it's marked up a bit since then.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have used the film for several years running now and will attest to the fact that it cannot be beat. I replace it every year but at about $8 shipped for a sheet that is at least 7' x 9'. This is for patio doors or large windows. It becomes completely invisible even from about 6 feet away. My Peppers Ghost is a large room and there is no sign of a double image like you can get from plastic or glass, not to mention that it is completely safe. Here is a pretty dark video of my attempt at P.G. I used a live actor and this was without a doubt, my biggest attraction. It baffled everyone.

YouTube - Peppers Ghost

1 - 6 of 6 Posts