Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I created a layout I was thinking about trying in my front yard, I wanna know how well you guys think this would work. Basically have a masoleum towards the front of my yard with an open back end. Inside the masoleum would be a projector that would be projecting images onto a white surface. Then behind the masoleum further back in my yard would be a pane of plexi or something to create the peppers ghost effect. I want the final result to be ghost walking around my cemetery.

View attachment 166412

View attachment 166413

Heres a quick sketchup of what im talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have thought about trying something like this a few years back. I just could not find a way to camouflage the “glass”. It was always visible so it ruined the effect. Maybe I did not have my lighting correct. But you could see the edges no matter where you stood. I would be interested to see if someone could find a good solution.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I like this idea and I've been thinking about something like this for my back yard. However I see a couple of problems. The cost of a large piece of plexi-glass is very expensive, Maybe, and this what I was thinking about doing, is a large piece of scrim strung up on a wire line between two trees. Can you string a wire from the mausoleum to the tree? I would also move your projector from ground level to above the top of the back door.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We've found a good alternative to glass or Plexi: Patio Door Insulation You can build a frame to attach it to and then you use a heat gun or hair dryer to shrink it to be nearly as clear as glass. It can be a little problematic outdoors since wind may be blowing, but it works pretty well. Also, you'll still need to camouflage the frame. Scrim might be easier to disguise.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would be afraid that like October Dream mentioned, the white background will most likely project with the walking figures. So your plexi/scrim will be against a rather dark backdrop (lawn) I would be afraid while you may get the effect you may also get a white square along with it. I would try experimenting small scale before investing a lot of time and money. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like this idea and I've been thinking about something like this for my back yard. However I see a couple of problems. The cost of a large piece of plexi-glass is very expensive, Maybe, and this what I was thinking about doing, is a large piece of scrim strung up on a wire line between two trees. Can you string a wire from the mausoleum to the tree? I would also move your projector from ground level to above the top of the back door.

I was thinking about scrim too. I was searching the internet and I could not find a video that showed me an example if someone used it in thier haunt, I only found scrim used in windows. If I used scrim I could reverse the projector and just point it directly at the scrim

·
Sleep with one eye open
587 Posts
Hi oogieboogie412 ,

Davis Graveyard projects "ghost children" on to black material ( not sure if it is scrim but it should work the same ) in their graveyard . Check out their website to see video davisgraveyard.com .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts