Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Survey says: People hate chainsaws much more than mere Clowns!
Chainsaws are dangerous mechanical devices, carrying potentially explosive fuel, Chainsaws operate at high temperatures with very hot surfaces, They make air pollution, don't use indoors! they create noise pollution, don't run them inside a tiled locker room shower or a meat locker.
Remove the chain, the hot surfaces will still be able to burn you and if running, the rotating sprocket drive gear can still tangle up hair (this has happened.)
So with all of this excellent advise, Now you know what your Clown should be carrying !
With maybe a small hand-puppet-Clown to tell the Big Clown what to do next?

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
seems people are terrified of chainsaws. so we didn't have a chainsaw but wanted one. I suggested we use a drill. my daughter said no one would be afraid of that. so I begged to differ. I got the drill, hid, and the first team through, well, it stopped them in their tracks. they screamed, got past me, and the first team of 2 to go through about broke the door trying to get out. they were so scared they couldn't get the door to open. I had to go open it for them. my daughter said, she guessed they were. the last team to go through was the funnest. it was 3 girls and one guy. as soon as I hit the drill, the 3 girls jumped behind the guy. the guy was looking like, this is not good. lol. I hit the drill again, he screamed almost as loud as the girls. then he foraged ahead, to find he was the only one. lol. he was at the door and the 3 girls were huddling. I hit the drill again and he jumped back and then stepped it to the girls. he then got behind the girls pushing them forward with his arms around them as good as he could. he corralled them out. clowns, chainsaws, drills, it's all good.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Sound can be startling,scary.
A man gave me an old cheap 'stick" vacuum cleaner he got for nothing because it made this Gawd-awful racket when it ran!

I thought it would probably not be running, making any sound much longer, but I still hid it inside of a wrapped torso in a huge Spider web, that hung above where some customers would be seated for awhile.
It worked scaring people Very Well! It kept running for YEARS!? When it finally quit, I opened it up and surprisingly the only thing that had been making all of that nasty, crazed noise was just ... a hand full of field corn (Kernels)
"Field Corn" is not Sweet corn they look very much alike, but "Field" is almost rock-hard.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I had numerous people thank me for not having a clown this year, well that means I'll have a clown next year. I plan on converting my monster in a box into a jack in a box with a crank handle and pop up clown.
I love the idea. We have not decided on a theme for Halloween '15 yet and this may be it. I know clowns freak people out but I just had not put the potential in perspective yet. At least not until I read your post. Now I am getting lots of evil ideas.

I've never understood the fear of clowns so always looked over the possibility of incorporating them into a haunt. I'm definitely rethinking that viewpoint.

·
Registered
260 Posts
people really hate clowns

I have used clowns in my haunt a lot and yes they freak people out, that's why I use them. This year I had a pumpkin theme so no clowns. But for 2015 I am going to do "killer klowns from outer space" theme. I have 8 or 9 mannequins dressed and ready to go as clowns for Halloween. I am going to try and have a clown car prop this year and different colored clown footprints all over my front walk and fence.

I have about 5 of the clown masks from the movie. This is going to be fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Two problems with clowns: the people who aren't afraid of them aren't afraid of them, and the people who are afraid of them won't go near them.

There are lots of ideas going around about how to scare the first group, and I heard a great idea years ago to get the second group inside a walk-through haunt where you can scare them. Hand out balloons with CLOWN PROTECTION BALLOON written or printed on it. The first clown that they run into will see the balloon and back off. The second clown will see the balloon, pop it, and give them an evil laugh because now they have no protection for the rest of the way through.

This could probably be adapted to a smaller home haunt/display.

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
first of all, i have been haunting for 20 years and one year a former partner of mine wanted to do something with a clown and i said NO!, because i always thought clowns were a stupid way to go and no one would be scared of it, but he went and built a pop up jack in the box clown anyway and it scared the hell out of everyone, so what do i know. secondly, if you are looking for a good noise maker, i have been for years taking a grinder to a metal drum barrel, it makes a loud noise and throws some sparks off and no one see's it coming, make sure you have an open space for it though.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Well I'm joining in on the clowns but just in a small way. I never have liked clowns for Halloween but I found this absolutely so cute kids clown costume at a garage sale, so I bought it. A few months later I found one of those multi-colored afro wigs at the flea market. I'm always buying masks where ever I see them so I bought a bag of masks & one of them was a clown mask. So now I have all of the components but those silly big red shoes. Felt this was a sign for me to try clowns! lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts