Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to place this. Feel free to move it to a more appropriate thread if there is one ^_^

With almost being into the third month of the year it wouldn't surprise most that there is so much pondering and plotting for this years Haunt Season. We've got a large yard that has two cemeteries and all kinds of props. Though I have expanded each year and added more in depth pieces to each section I find myself at a loss for what to do.

The witches kitchen has become a staple. Everyone expects it, loves it and a lot of times walks through more than once on Halloween so it isn't something I'm looking to loose. This past season we added a tunnel which I thought was quite large ( over 7 feet wide. Starting at 7 feet tall and lowering to about 5 ft.) Sadly people were very afraid of it and were going the wrong way of the walk through to avoid it which really messed up things for the actors we had around. Has anyone else had such a problem?

We're thinking of figuring out a fanciful gate or one way thing on the other side of the island to prevent counter flow problems and people didn't even listen to the actors.

Another thought we have had is adding a walk through path fenced and lit in the large cemetery ( first one your see in the video) so you can see more of the headstones up close.

People's ideas would be great :) also I'd love to hear if anyone else has had problems with people avoiding certain parts of their haunts as this was a new experience for us.

( Also this was my first time editing video of any kind so I hope it's not to horrible

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Great job! I love the two canopy tents together. What a great idea.

You also gave me a great idea while watching this. We have a huge screened in porch in the back and I have considered routing people to the back yard, but have never done it. Now I am thinking of taking the door off the screened porch and setting up a big scene in there. I could also do a canopy tent or just an huge angled one from our shed to the huge fruitless pear tree. We have the cemetery under the tree.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum. I also LOVE your witches book in the video. Where did you find it? Love, love the Sanderson Sisters' one in the other thread, too.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,770 Posts
Hey,
I suggest a rickety old looking fence with a gate. I would add an actor portraying a witch stirring a cauldron in front of the gate. She can control the gate allowing small children to pass but decline entrance to anyone else. For those attempting to enter the wong way she can point to the tunnel and mutter curses and hexes at those who don't obey. She can threaten to add them to the cauldron if the cauldron is large enough....think head hunter size.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
You do a wonderful job!! There is so much great stuff. So much fun. I agree with your guests... the witches kitchen is really cool. I would walk through several times.

I am claustrophobic and would probably walk around the tunnel too if that was an option (and I love Halloween stuff). I have found there are people who are into straight Trick or Treating and like to look at decorations, but don't want to get in any way 'involved' in the experience (like walking through a tunnel). Then there are the folks that are there to totally get involved with the interactive part of being haunted.

It's a tough call. What is your audience.? If you are doing both. You might have to find another path that is not being 'part' of the experience for the straight up trick-or-treat crowd. There just seems that there is no way to please both types of guests. You have to make the call. Someone and their child will always be afraid of interactive elements. While the thrill seekers will love those creepy 'scare me' things.

Welcome to HalloweenForum!! You will like it here. There is something for everyone from glitter to gore. Happy Haunting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We were thinking a gate guarded on that side would help. Our house has always been a full experience and people get candy at the arch entrance and then in the witches kitchen if they go through. The tunnel amazed me because I had some one who is so claustrophobic they have to be medicated for trips and such go through with out issue because it was so tall and wide as well as partially open on the other end so it didn't look "closed off."

The haunt isn't geared towards any age range just people that love the spooky and I've never had excessive fear of props or actors even from the tiny tots. Granted the people who haunt here don't tend to act out overly much toward kiddos that look 5 and under. Over all do you guys feel I should keep the tunnel and add to it and just set it if you are to afraid to go through and follow flow there is candy at the front have a nice night.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Great Setup!!

First off....keep the tunnel and don't give options for those that are too scared as it doesn't look like terrorizing folks is on your agenda. I have folks that won't go into mine and that's their loss. The only thing that I question about your haunt is that there's nothing between the ToTs and the open flames and having an open flame in the tent. As for directing the flow, I have my "path" laid out with orange rope light and folks do a great job of staying between the lights. I have a similar "y" at the bottom of my driveway and someone is always down there directing traffic. Also, they can slow the flow so that you have three or four people going through at a time instead of a twenty person train.

I've got a couple of friends that love Halloween who live in Loveland...as a matter of fact I'll be over there for business in a couple of weeks. I'll have to send them the link to this thread.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
" I've got a couple of friends that love Halloween who live in Loveland...as a matter of fact I'll be over there for business in a couple of weeks. I'll have to send them the link to this thread."

That is awesome, there don't seem to be many around here with a love of halloween.

Amazingly we have never had any issues with the flames. Everyone gives them wide berth and we've never had anyone touch or knock into the display of the witches kitchen where the smaller more approachable flames are. We try to keep them on the most sturdy pieces and supplement them with a lot of tea lights but a lot of people have said that the real flames around help them not see the others as fake. We def have people set close to the areas with flames to help encourage the no touching as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts