Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighborhood has been pretty awesome during this COVID-19 crisis. People are helping each other with groceries, household staples, and checking on each other. We have a schedule of days where we are putting up shamrocks (St Pats), silly faces, inspirational quotes, etc in our windows so parents can take kids for walks and they can "collect" them while practicing social distancing.

Another idea that I read about is people are putting back up Christmas Lights to spread some cheer. Is anyone tempted to do a mini-Halloween setup? I am really considering it. I think it would be a fun project and would bring some smiles to the block. Is anyone else considering any of this? People Are Putting Their Christmas Lights Back Up to Spread Cheer Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

·
Registered
473 Posts
That is just nuts, Christmas is becoming a lost holiday due to stores having trees and decorations as early as July on the shelves. Kids have nothing to look forward to anymore as the magic has been stolen.
If a person needs to feel they should decorate to please the uncertain feelings of others how about something Spring related - fake flowers or American Flags hanging off the porch as they use to. Better yet the local school's mascot banners and such. I do not want to see houses covered with Christmas decorations, Thanksgiving or even Halloween until it is the right time of the year.
Call me the Grinch but stay in and build a jigsaw puzzle if you need to spend time with loved ones or read something out of a good old fashioned printed paper book.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is just nuts, Christmas is becoming a lost holiday due to stores having trees and decorations as early as July on the shelves. Kids have nothing to look forward to anymore as the magic has been stolen.
If a person needs to feel they should decorate to please the uncertain feelings of others how about something Spring related - fake flowers or American Flags hanging off the porch as they use to. Better yet the local school's mascot banners and such. I do not want to see houses covered with Christmas decorations, Thanksgiving or even Halloween until it is the right time of the year.
Call me the Grinch but stay in and build a jigsaw puzzle if you need to spend time with loved ones or read something out of a good old fashioned printed paper book.
As much as I agree with you, it seems that the younger generations do not decorate with silk flowers and flags as compared to the older generations, which is sad when you think about it.

You'd think that people would decorate for Easter, but people only decorate excessively for holidays, such as Halloween and Christmas.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
I'm decorating for Easter today. I have 4 cement tiki heads & they'll get bunny ears, lights, etc. & I've got a ridiculous amount of plastic eggs that I'll do something with & I have those plastic popcorn decorations that will go in the windows, bunnies & chicks in eggs. I even have a 3 foot tall plastic popcorn version of Bugs Bunny in my bay window.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm decorating for Easter today. I have 4 cement tiki heads & they'll get bunny ears, lights, etc. & I've got a ridiculous amount of plastic eggs that I'll do something with & I have those plastic popcorn decorations that will go in the windows, bunnies & chicks in eggs. I even have a 3 foot tall plastic popcorn version of Bugs Bunny in my bay window.
That's so cute. Yes, I landed on doing Easter, too. I am trying to find those giant, plastic, brightly colored, nesting Easter eggs so I can put them in the yard. Michael's always carried them but I don't see them on their site. I am making my teenage daughter dust the house (evil mother that I am) today so I will bring out the inside Easter decor after she is done. If anyone sees those eggs online, pls let me know! I want the nesting kind because they are easier to store. Thanks!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
Well didn't make it out to decorate my heads today, but I did find more decorations for them in my basement purging.

Tomorrow is my big day outside. It's supposed to be near 80° & I've spent 2 days in the basement, I need a change of scenery.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
574 Posts
No obvious decorations, but I have re-purposed my Halloween Spot lights. They are LED color changing/programmable lights, so instead of storing them away, I've put them along our front fence as up-lighting. I can then go and change the color to fit the holiday. Right now the front is all green from St. Patrick's days. Was pink during Valentines. Might do a Blue/green fade for Easter, Red/White/Blue for Memorial and Independence days.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Heyyyyyy, I’m not a big old redneck cracker anymore! I leave my Halloween and Christmas lights up all year long. They’re protected as they’re under the porch roof and on a timer so they’re on every night for a few hours.

Can’t really decorate outside as we are way out in the boonies (and have horrible neighbors who steal everything not nailed down for pill money), but I have been working on my Halloween Room in the house.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have put lights on my big Bay window, for celebrating, anything... I have all kinds of colors of lights and depending on the celebration, what color and design I do, it's fun.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
Not a chance. I finally got all the holiday crap taken down and put away. I'm not touching another pumpkin til September.
I saw your response & :ROFLMAO: because that is LITERALLY what I've been doing for the last week so I TOTALLY feel ya!!

Our well crapped out so we're going with the public water option instead of a new well. We've got the connection at the street so we need to run a line across our yard & into our basement then across the basement ceiling. Well, half of that ceiling is where 95% of my Halloween/Christmas storage happens to be.

So at the end of the big holiday season stuff was just tossed down there in bins. I've spent the last week putting stuff stuff where it should be, rearrangin stuff, purging stuff, donating stuff (got in on the Goodwill deadline yesterday, stores here are now closed except for online selling I guess) & most importantly LABELING EVERYTHING.

When I saw your post I thought "SAME!!:LOL:"

Though I did get my tiki heads decorated outside & some Easter stuff inside but that takes me 30 mins. to put up & take down.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
OK - Hopefully I'm alone on this... and apologies for any offense in advance... but my first take on the Christmas decorating was a bit on the morbid side. As in, "Let's celebrate our Make-A-Wish Christmas now since the whole family might not get to celebrate in December."

·
Registered
985 Posts
I do not want to see houses covered with Christmas decorations, Thanksgiving or even Halloween until it is the right time of the year.
We don't put out Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving day. We rail against crass consumerism that puts out Christmas stuff in July. But those are greedy merchants trying to make a buck off a holiday they see as only dollar signs. We never tell other people what to do until it bumps up against our rights to be safe and secure with our choices. We're not going to put up Christmas decorations because we're uneasy about our lives right now. But we're not going to complain if that's the way someone else deals with it. If you have been finding yourselves eating a bit more comfort food lately, you really can't complain about how others are choosing to get through these times. Let them put up whatever makes them feel better. It doesn't matter to us.

We don't see anything wrong with folks who have trees up in their house year round, or Halloween decorations as haunt chic decor. Put up your favorite football team flags and adorn the back of your car with stick figures of your family. We will laugh at you and say you're insane. But that's okay, because we do stuff that makes us look insane too. Putting out Christmas Decorations seems better to us than hoarding toilet paper or stockpiling guns. It all comes down to one very simple rule for us: If we don't like the way people deck out their lawns or decorate their home, we don't look at them. But we're certainly not going to tell them they can't deal with the frustrations of these times in their own way.

And you better not try coming after us telling us to pull down the stuff we have; because we have Supersoakers, and we know how to use them. And we have lots of stockpiled ammunition at hand in our faucets. Just ask the squirrels and woodpeckers who cross us.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts