Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, I got a last-minute idea to try and make a Pennywise head prop out of an extra styrofoam head I had at the house. Somehow in 7 years living at my house, I had never thought to incorporate the storm drain in front of my yard! Anyway, you don't need a drain, he looked pretty neat regardless. He was assembled for about $10 - price will depend on what supplies you may already have and/or if your local dollar store has what you need - and I put him together in less than an hour. Sadly, since he was so last-minute, I didn't take the time to devise a better anchoring system for how he was to be suspended from the drain cover. Therefore, about 30 minutes into trick-or-treaters, he fell to his demise after some kids were messing with the popsicle stick and his head popped off while hanging in there. But he was fun while he lasted and I plan to make another this year!

Simply start with your head, drill or cut out two eye socket holes to fit your flashlights into SNUGLY. Fiddle with your hole depth so that the flashlights still come out enough to prop two eyes (ornaments) on them and have them be sticking out enough. Paint your Pennywise eyes and mouth/face, arrange a collar if desired. I didn't give him hair because it wasn't light enough in my drain to see, but you surely could. Arrange a suspension system (I obviously had an issue with this, as you read) if you will in fact hang him somewhere. Turn your flashlights on, put them in eye sockets, and you're ready to roll!

Styrofoam head ($5-10): https://www.amazon.com/Bluelans-Styrofoam-Mannequin-Glasses-White/dp/B074RBHCFS/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3HBRGJV10XE1F&keywords=styrofoam+head+male&qid=1556728254&s=gateway&sprefix=male+head+sty,aps,176&sr=8-5

2 mini flashlights (I purchased in a 3-pack at the dollar store - so anywhere from $1-10): https://www.amazon.com/Baomabao_Flashlight-Mini-3500LM-Zoomable-Flashlight/dp/B01HCH1MR8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2XD0MQQAM22BZ&keywords=mini+flashlights&qid=1556728713&s=gateway&sprefix=mini+flashlight,aps,197&sr=8-3
* Batteries as well, if not included for your flashlights when purchased

2 white plastic Christmas ornaments (again, purchased in a tube from the dollar store - any two white, plastic opaque round ornament balls will do - $1): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KH8G77C/ref=sbl_dpx_B076ZJ4RYX_0

Blue/red/black paint
1 popsicle stick
String/Wire of some sort
Frilly neck collar, like his clown suit has (not pictured). I used a little girls tutu found at TJMaxx purchased $10

For added drain flair:
1 Red Helium balloon, $1.29 from Publix
Fake blood (you probably already have……. If not, easy to make)
Homemade paper boat

IMG-0931.jpg
56269349328--433F5229-2D5B-437F-85C4-EF529C31D4AB.jpg
IMG-0925.jpg IMG-0930.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
That is BEYOND creepy!! Would be neat to have some kind of dim LED up-lighting on the face to further accentuate the prop, and then run everything off of a 9V battery.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Really cool!! We did Stephen King as our theme years and years and years ago. Yours came out really well. With the second part coming out this year you'll get some extra mileage out of the idea.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Wow! I love this! I'm so glad somebody did this! I'm big with Stephen King so I'm so excited to see something like this! :)

You did a lovely job! Keep up the good work!!

Reactions: nbad311

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolute genius. This is the kind of wonderful prop not everyone will even notice, but those who do will be talking about it for days. :)
The balloon helped draw attention to the drain... I think initially some buzzed adults (with their kids) saw the head first, pointed it out, and then kids started gathering. I also had a decent sized pumpkin with "YOU'LL FLOAT TOO" carved into it!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Good idea. I'll brainstorm!
Depending on how easy it is to get to the mask, you could do something as simple as a little string of battery operated lights. A bit of tape to secure them in front of the mask, and you're in business. Although there is something very, very creepy about just the glowing eyes. :)

You can find a string of waterproof, battery operated fairy lights for less than a buck at Ali Express. Tone them down to suit your needs by cutting off any that make it too bright. Use a bit of hot glue on the end of the wire and it's back to being watertight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you make or buy your giant spiders? If made, did you post a how-to? They look great with the fog.
I made them! You know, the bigger (less messy) one in the back of that photo will be 6 years old this October - I honestly can't remember where I saw the idea, but it was definitely online! Maybe even this site? I think there was a tutorial (again, can't remember for sure) but it was really just building a simple base (body) and then a little bit of trial and error with the PVC pipe legs (covered in "Great Stuff" or similar stuff gap filler from any hardware store for the bumpy effect) and various angles of PVC connectors.

The small one was a last-minute thing I did last year, who is totally sloppy! His leg dimensions are all off so he sits way too low to the ground.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts