Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year will be our 5th annual Halloween party! It's for adults only, costumes are always amazing (my friends are already thinking of ideas to out-do last year), and it's a lot of fun.

I was excited that it falls on a Saturday this year, but now I'm not sure if I should have the party on the 31st or the 24th. First, if I have it on the 31st, I wouldn't be able to hand out candy - which is okay, but we get a lot of kids and even if I shut off the lights, I might be at the door as my guests arrive and our costumes aren't exactly appropriate for kids (and some parents!).

Also, two couples that come every year have kids. It might be hard for them to take their kids out, get a sitter, and then get ready for our party.

Given that, I do feel having it on the 31st would be cool. I'm so torn. Any thoughts??

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Can't it be both? :D

I'm going to have a "family and friends" party on the 24th that will start in the afternoon and go into the evening. This is a chance to show off the haunt and just have fun, without the interuptions of ToTs.

On the 31st, I'm going to have my traditional Halloween party that includes fun for adults and kids, lots of snacks and treats, and my friends helping me out with my yard haunt.

·
Resident Lunatic
1,771 Posts
I hosted last years party. We had it before Halloween. I love the entire Halloween experience. The shopping, the decorating, the parties, and the TOTs. I wouldn't want to miss any of it. That's why we always have it before Halloween. This is just IMHO.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's so rare to have the 31st fall on a Saturday. I say go for it. I've been waiting years for this calander event and I know it will be another 7 years or so before it comes around again. Do it all the way on the 31st!

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Definitely on the 31st....we don't get the chance to really cut loose on THE DAY very often, and we always take advantage of it.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
I'm having mine on the 24th. Mine is outside so if the weather is bad I can quickly change it to the 30th or 31st. I don't get trick or treaters :( But if I did I would definately have it on the 24th so I wouldn't miss anything.

Halloween will be on Saturday again in the year 2015. Only six years :)

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
I'm having mine on the 24th. Mine is outside so if the weather is bad I can quickly change it to the 30th or 31st. I don't get trick or treaters :( But if I did I would definately have it on the 24th so I wouldn't miss anything.

Halloween will be on Saturday again in the year 2015. Only six years :)
I say have one on the 23rd, 24th, 30th and 31st. If I had any friends that is what I would do. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you have it on the 24th, it makes the Halloween season last longer. Why have everything all on one day? Plus, you will have tons of no shows on Halloween. Plus, there will be bar parties after the TOTers are done.

If I went to a party on Halloween, I would be gone by 10 pm to hit the bars.

·
Ravenous Zombie
1,196 Posts
We had ours on the 31st last year and never again. Our party was starting at 7 pm and I had kids ringing the doorbell in the last hour (and you all know that the last hour is crunch time before a party). It was a pain in the butt, and I usually love giving out candy to all the kids, scaring them while I'm all dressed up, but I couldn't even enjoy it last year. By having it the weekend before, you will prolong Halloween for yourself and have actual Halloween to look forward a week later.

Oh, and if a lot of the adults you're inviting have kids, a lot will think twice about going because they get tired after trick or treating with their kids.

253 Posts
We also decided to have our party on the 24th. We'll have the haunt open for ToT's from 7-9 on the 31st and that is so exhausting, I can't imagine trying to do our party the same night. Also, like some of the others have said, having your party the week before will make Halloween last longer!!

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
I'm surprised nobody else seems to be having theirs on the 30th. Friday's are a great day for a party so it makes perfect sense to me.

But yeah my advice is don't have it on Halloween. Giving out to TOTers and enjoying the atmosphere of the day is one of if not the key moment of it all. Don't wanna miss out on it. Double your fun by having Halloween twice.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I'm surprised nobody else seems to be having theirs on the 30th. Friday's are a great day for a party so it makes perfect sense to me.

But yeah my advice is don't have it on Halloween. Giving out to TOTers and enjoying the atmosphere of the day is one of if not the key moment of it all. Don't wanna miss out on it. Double your fun by having Halloween twice.
That's actually a really good idea, but I promised my oldest she could have her Halloween party on the 30th. She and her fellow 8th graders will be having a Halloween slumber party on Friday the 30th. It should be a lot of fun!

We like to spread Halloween out as much as possible. I'll most likey be hosting the neighborhood homeowner's association meeting on the 7th, then an extended family Halloween party on the 24th, then my oldest daughter's Halloween sleep-over, and finally, HALLOWEEN!!!

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
I am having mine on the 24th and I had kids ringing my doorbell last halloween until 10pm!!! So I say if I do the party a week before and then Halloween a week later it is like I get to enjoy it twice!!! Do it the week before and enjoy Halloween night with the TOTs and enjoy your guests on the 24th. TWICE IS NICE!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
We did a party the day after Halloween, and NEVER AGAIN will we do party and actual Halloween that close together... it was too crazy and I didn't get a chance to really enjoy either one since I was so busy putting everything together.

When we've done the party the weekend before, it made the whole experience much better and Halloween was over a week long. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yardhauntjunkie I'll be your friend......... :)

I would do it probably on the 24th since like everyone else has mentioned you get to spread the holiday out that way. Seems pretty exciting to be able to do a party and Halloween and have them not clash. I'm excited about it being on the 31st this year.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Yardhauntjunkie I'll be your friend......... :)

I would do it probably on the 24th since like everyone else has mentioned you get to spread the holiday out that way. Seems pretty exciting to be able to do a party and Halloween and have them not clash. I'm excited about it being on the 31st this year.
Well thank you. :)

I actually do pretty well as far as having a get together on Halloween night. We don't really invite anyone. Family and friends just kind of show up to see the yard haunt. We plan ahead and have lots of food and stuff set out so people can enjoy and mingle. I spent 95 percent of my night outside watching people enjoy the yard haunt. We had a big old crock pot of pulled chicken and buns to eat it on. Cole slaw and beans and other Halloween goodies set out so that no one really had to "host". It is a pretty good alternative to a full blown party. That way family and friends can hand out candy at the door and get into it as well. The only draw back is there is no alcohol induced debauchery. :) Maybe I would have more friends if there was. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts