Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the first time in 8 years we will not be having our Halloween Party, which was scheduled for tomorrow. Our dog, Ace, who we had as a member of our family for almost 14 years passed away at 9:15 Sunday night. We buried him Monday afternoon in the back yard. As if this loss wasn't hard enough we also lost our cat, Daisy, who we had for 10 years a week prior. Our spirit has been crushed and neither my wife or I have the drive or desire to host the 30 -40 people that usually attend the party. We also had an unexpected expense pop up on us Thursday which basically took our $200 till that we had to purchase the rest of the supplies and food. I hadn't worked on any of the remaining props or decorations for the last 2 weeks due to these losses and things just were not ready. We both decided that it wasn't fair to our guests or ourselves if the party was not complete and the hosts were not 100% in heart. We messaged everyone Thursday afternoon and let them know. Just about everyone was disappointed but understood. Only a couple were flat out ticked. We've been trying to get our Halloween "mojo" back over the past couple days so that the remaining 2 weeks are enjoyable. Today was a good day. We were all out raking leaves, bagging and burning some. It was a beautiful Fall day and topped it off by taking a walk, which was a bit sad as this was the first walk we took without Ace. So some of the sadness returned for a brief time and that just reinforced our thoughts of cancelling the party being the right thing to do.

Anyway, we already agreed that next year would be bigger and better than any previous party. So, here's to next year.

Reactions: zombieprincess

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm so sorry Shadowbat :( I don't know what I would do in that situation, but you should do what is best for you, your friends and guests will understand. Wish we could cheer you up.

Here's a big internet hug (((((HUG!))))))) for you and your wife.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Im sorry.It is never easy to lose fur kids. Now..for those attendees who were "downright ticked" that you cancelled..I believe I would have trouble inviting them to future gatherings, If they do not get how hard this is ..they are heartless. You are cancelling a Halloween party..not a wedding or some giant event.

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I just recently lost a cat of my own of "Powder" of 12 years. It is painful, but do remember they are in a better place. I wish you all the best, and I do give you my greatest condolences. You did the right thing by canceling the party. Your family and as well as your self need time to mourn and remember the good times. Stay strong. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Shadowbat - I'm so sorry to hear about Ace and Daisy. Those of us that share our lives with four-legged friends, know they become family. Losing one hurts. I can't imagine what it is like for your family to lose two. The sadness will come and go for some time. As for the folks ticked over the cancellation, forget 'em. Your friends understand why you cancelled.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the support everyone, it really means a lot. We ended up taking the kids out for dinner and stopped over to visit my Mom and stepdad. Weather ended u being craptastic today. lol it has rained almost the entire day and would have really put a damper, pun intended, on a lot of the activities. Oh well, as I said before, wait till next year!

Reactions: pyrosaxplayer

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
I was sorry to read about the loss of your two pets. That's tough losing them both at the same time. I'm sure your friends will be okay and sounds like a few were down right disappointed at the thought of no party this year. Maybe they rented costumes, so don't be hard on them. Obviously you guys throw a party that everyone really looks forward to attending, something that many just wish they could say about their invitees. I see so many people loving plan their parties and go to so much effort to make a good time and it seems like many guests don't know how to be gracious and just have fun and appreciate the effort party planners go through. Best now to take the time to mourn your pets and plan later for next year when it's not such a sad time for all of you.

·
Registered
450 Posts
So sorry Shadowbat. I feel for you and hope it gets easier for you as time passes. So sad to lose a loved one. Hugs to you and yours.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
My condolences. I lost a dog to bone cancer 3 years ago (he was a bullboxer barely 3 yo), another to age-related neurological problems this past May (he was a 15 yo pitbull, something unheard of by vets in these parts), and another will be gone by the end of the year due to lung cancer (12 yo short-legged yellow lab).

I really should do a pet cemetery theme one of these Halloweens - by the end of this year, my tally will be six dogs and 4 cats buried in the back yard.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am so sorry for your losses. Don't worry about the one that was ticked--how selfish. Take care and heal. You will have a great head start on next year's event. My mom decided a few weeks ago that she would not have her annual Be WITCHY and has been so down about it. I am having my first Boo Bash, so she has it to attend and will go to at least one more party. She spent most of today at the ER and I think now realizes that it was the right thing to not have a party this year despite still being bummed about it. Hang in there my friend.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts