Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comments – please…

For all of my past parties, my guests have always asked what they could bring. I always put on the invitation “anyone wanting to bring anything please consider making a small donation to my favorite charity Small Paws Rescue (SPR) instead.” and I’d include their website info.

Very few people would do this (via cash or check), let’s just say I have a lot of Vodka bottles around for future parties…and when I called SPR they never r’cd and donations via online from any guests.

Last year I actually made a donation box and supplied small envelopes and pens so that I’d know who to thank for their donations. Out of 40 people, 6 made donations. :(

I’m skipping having a party this year but I’m having one in 2016. However, I am seriously considering making it a fundraiser for SPR and charging $15.00 per person (all food, open bar, DJ, Karaoke & costume contest). I would still send out invitations but I would call it a “Fundraiser Halloween Party” and have someone sell the tickets at the door. The ticket would make everyone eligible for a door prize and I’d have someone walk around and sell 50/50 tickets too. I am in no way using this as a tax deduction for myself, I pay for all of my parties myself.

What is your opinion, is this “tacky” to do, or a good idea? I don’t want to piss anyone off, I just want to have fun with my friends and help SPR too. :D

Small Paws Rescue is a bichon frise rescue. I am the Mom to 3 bichon frises- Morgan, Piper & Fallon

Thanks!
christmas card 2014.jpg

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I think it's a great idea....we actually decided a while back that we would do something similar for our Harry Potter party in 2016, we plan to have a "magic in giving" box for guests to drop off pet supplies for our local shelter. (We would love to have a cover charge but fear our attendance might be lower with our crowd than doing the food bank)

Hope u have a good turn out :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think this is great. Locally, I go to a haunted house put on by a bird rescue every year. There are plenty of other haunted houses to visit, but I enjoy supporting a good cause while having my Halloween fun.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think its a great idea but just to play devil's advocate for a bit, sometimes people have set funds aside for their important charities and nothing to spare for others. Would you be ok with them not attending because they are limited on funds?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it's a great idea....we actually decided a while back that we would do something similar for our Harry Potter party in 2016, we plan to have a "magic in giving" box for guests to drop off pet supplies for our local shelter. (We would love to have a cover charge but fear our attendance might be lower with our crowd than doing the food bank)

Hope u have a good turn out :)
Thanks! Since SPR Rescues get fostered in different states within the US, SPR needs monetary donations for vetting. Most of the bichons are being pulled from "kill" shelters, so they are either sickly or in need of shots. They get them fully recovered, they are fostered, and then they can be adopted out. Otherwise I think the "magic in giving" box is a great idea ! If only I could get my family and friends to understand that although I appreciate a bottle or dessert, it would be so much better if they would use that money for an SPR donation instead...

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think that's a great idea, and most people won't have a problem with it, and if they did , I wouldn't want them at my party anyway, lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think its a great idea but just to play devil's advocate for a bit, sometimes people have set funds aside for their important charities and nothing to spare for others. Would you be ok with them not attending because they are limited on funds?
Thanks! I totally understand what you mean about charities, it is a personal choice. However, I feel like if my friends are going to spend $15.00 on something to bring to the party anyway, why not buy a ticket to get in instead. It would support SPR and they are eligible to win a prize. Also, I tend to go overboard on food and drinks... I always end up with a lot more stuff so I end up sending it back home with guests most of the time anyway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that's a great idea, and most people won't have a problem with it, and if they did , I wouldn't want them at my party anyway, lol
Thank You, I love your attitude! These are MY friends and family afterall - you're soooo RIGHT They know me well enough that they should just get it, and if not they can stay home - LOL:D I'm really stressing for no reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts