Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! It's been awhile since I've been on the forum.....and man does it feel like coming home!! :D I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me. My Husband and I are having a Halloween party this year. And while we don't kids, most of our friends do, so we like to make our parties kid friendly so more people can attend. My question is, most of the kids coming are old enough to need something to do while here to keep them occupied and to keep their parents happy ;)

We have some what of a vintage theme going this year so had thought some old school games would be in order. So far all I've come up with is bobbing for apples. I don't know why I'm having such a block with this....I just can't think of anything. Do any of you have any ideas? Or any tried and true games/things to do from parties you've hosted? Any help would be much appreciated! :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Will there be a teenager or two in attendance? If not, you could consider seeing if you could hire a few to help with the kids.

Check Target and Walmart for party games, especially if you don't have extra time to set up games. We picked up a bean bag toss game for $7. There were a few others too.

Crafts, especially ones that don't require glue or paint go over well. Craft stores often have small wooden cut outs that can be colored in with markers. We've picked up pirates, picture frames, bugs, etc. Usually they are about 50 cents each. Kids can also have a lot of fun with simple things like crayons and coloring pages. Something that always goes over well with kids at parties at my house is to give them plain brown paper lunch bags. set out stickers, crayons, etc and let them create their own puppets.

Charades are normally fun for kids. Coming up with a Halloween version wouldn't be too hard. Is there another room you could maybe have a kid-friendly movie playing?

Space provided, you could hide small toys (bugs, spider rings, little skeletons) in a room or outside and let the kids have a monster hunt.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
CHeck out my Pinterest board. The link is in signature. There is a games board with tons of ideas. My daughter and I did a huge booklet of games for one of her Secret Reaper victims last year. Most are on that board.
Your boards were a great deal of fun to peruse. I did not see one labeled games though.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!! Printersdevil....I will definitely have to check out your pinterest board! We don't have any teenagers coming...and while hiring a couple is a great idea....I don't want to spend the money on that. I think we'll be ok with everyone kind of keeping an eye on them. I just want to make sure that we don't have a group of kids sitting around bored. I like the idea of the Monster hunt. We just moved this past May and have 1.5 acres.....so they'd really be able to run around to look for "treats" .

·
Registered
429 Posts
As well as apple bobbing, if you get an old issue box, decorate it, but leave he opening (mybe enlarge it) and attach it to a long piece of ribbon. Use the ribbon as a belt and tie the box round peoples waist, with the box over their bottom. Add a couple of ping pong balls to the box and turn on the music. the game is to get the balls out of the box just by twerking. Fastest one wins.

Also, dangle ring doughnuts on string - people eat them without using heir hands.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Omg I love it Lawrie!!!!!!! The tissue box idea is awesome!! I really think the girls would love that. Great idea with the donuts too! I think I have the perfect spot outside where we could do that and not worry about a mess!!

Thanks guys!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Donut on a string is always a huge hit at our parties. Also you can get divide the kids up into teams give them a roll of toilet tissue and have a mummy wrap race. We do this one but I bought a bunch of ace bandages and sewed them together so I wouldn't have to clean up the mess. You could do a creepy food challenge with gummy worms in chocolate pudding "mud", green tinted tapioca "fish eggs", pop rock "pebbles", a graham cracker with white icing and red jelly "band aid" and assorted gummy creatures and parts. You can also decorate two liter bottles as pins and get a small pumpkin for pumpkin bowling. Set up a few plastic cauldrons and a bucket of ping pong eyeballs for a witch pitch. Ground stake arms and a few small hula hoops or glow stick necklaces and you have a great little ring toss. If you are looking for something less organized you can buy some glow sticks and either have the children play tag or hide and seek.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Since you have a large outside area, you could do almost an Easter egg style hunt, but hide small Halloween toys or treats instead.

Most years, I use black electrical tape & make a spiderweb taped directly on my floor. You could do it on a tarp for outside, or a painted board. The kiddos at my party are pretty small, so we just play balancing games on ours (Walking the Web), but you could have a pin the spider on the web game, or you could have them toss bugs onto the web for points, almost like a beanbag toss.

Hanging the round donuts with the centers cut out from string all across a pole outside is a great game for kids! They hold their hands behind their backs & see who can eat their donut the fastest.

You could play Hot Potato using a skull instead. Musical chairs to Halloween music. Buy some smaller pumpkins & put them on a picnic table & let the kids make designs with markers or paint if they're older.

Have a bunch of inexpensive flashlights out so they can play flashlight tag, some glass jars so they can collect bugs, different balls they can kick & throw, hula hoops, outside toys...

If you have the time, paint a piece of board with black chalkboard paint & then provide chalk for the kids to draw with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts