Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are the black lights and what type are they, that looks awesome
thanks!

i have 4 or 5 compact fluorescent black lights in aluminum reflectors along each side of the walk up to the porch

over the porch i have 2 large fluorescent fixtures ... in one of my videos you'll see them up under the skelly that's illuminated by a led strobe ... the skelly is on the roof

on the porch i have several differing sizes of fluorescent fixtures ... a couple 48 inch, a couple 24 inch & 4 18 or 24 inch(i forget their size)

in my shower curtains, there are compact fluorescents inside about 1/2 way down

the black lights are not anything special, except for the 2 that are under the skelly on the roof ... i don't recall the brand name at the moment, but they're originally supposed to be designed as a wash light for bands, theater, djs and similar ... i forget the cost, but they're not inexpensive ... maybe $199 each or so ... maybe $149? ... i forget, but they were "refurbished/open box/returns"

all other lights were mainly purchased in walmart ... i have quite a collection of black lights ... but they weren't all purchased at the same time so the costs were spread out over many years ... the compact fluorescent black lights were/are $7 or so at walmart

hope this answers some of your questions ... and don't hesitate to ask more :)

the paints are mainly inexpensive neon/fluorescent craft paints they you can get at walmart ...

amk

·
Registered
392 Posts
I love the blacklight effects. Reminds me of the "dark rides" from a long time ago. Great job.

·
Undertaker
3,270 Posts
Holy Smokes ! You really went all out........

I love how you carefully highlighted each prop with the florescent paints.That must have taken forever to complete.....

Terra would be so proud.... !

That would make an awesome Halloween party ! ! !

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy Smokes ! You really went all out........

I love how you carefully highlighted each prop with the florescent paints.That must have taken forever to complete.....

Terra would be so proud.... !

That would make an awesome Halloween party ! ! !
we've been doing this to all of out props since the beginning ... well, since we bought the house (2007 i think) ... so its only the new props that need to be painted ... unless we want to "spruce up" the older ones ... but it is time consuming ... a labor of luv! ... and every year it gets bigger & better

i think only about 1/2 of our tombstones were put out ... were running out of yard space :-(, but the house next door has been repossessed by the bank and is going to get auctioned off ... too bad its in such poor shape ... would make a gr8 haunted house ... all i need is a ton of money & time :)

amk

·
>^..^<
802 Posts
Oh, that was great too! Love how you make each piece look different. I like the tracery on the reaper/angel tombstone, and the glowing skull lurking in the background, and the pumpkin guy. And the blinking eyes on the roof. The glowing rat grins were the best though - that's awesome. And your Sally is genuinely scary - funny how lighting can make such a difference.

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, that was great too! Love how you make each piece look different. I like the tracery on the reaper/angel tombstone, and the glowing skull lurking in the background, and the pumpkin guy. And the blinking eyes on the roof. The glowing rat grins were the best though - that's awesome. And your Sally is genuinely scary - funny how lighting can make such a difference.
thanks!

there are only so many black light reactive paints so making the tombstones different can be challenging ... we do have a couple duplicate stones, but they're painted different ... and we may not have put out any duplicates, but we have so many tombstones that its hard to keep track of them all

sally was a prop that we made last year ... i think we purchased the dress though, so we cheated a little bit making her :)

i have so many ideas that i'd like to incorporate into the yard/porch haunt ... sigh ... not enough time though ... but i am pleased that the laser vortex was finally built this year ... those things are freaking amazing :)

amk

·
Halloween Elitist
2,891 Posts
Correction, you're not just "The Queen of Black Light", you're "The Undisputed Queen of Black Light"! No mere mortal can challenge you.

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Correction, you're not just "The Queen of Black Light", you're "The Undisputed Queen of Black Light"! No mere mortal can challenge you.
thx for the compliments everyone!

does anyone have a hat stretcher? in any case they're not fitting the same as they used to ... i'm not sure why, i haven't washed them ... but they must be shrinking due to some unknown mechanism(s) ... :) ... lol ... j/k

i'm amazed by some of the creations that the people here have accomplished ... things that i can only dream of doing ... but things that i'll eventually try to do ... i want to get into animated props ... unfortunately, i don't have a as much time that i can devote to this crazy obsession of ours as i'd like, so i try to spend my time in the most efficient way that i think will yield the most results for the least amount of time ... working around work & things that i'd like to do in & around the house ... the result is my black light "obsession" ... just about all of my props are store bought and modified & painted to be black light reactive ... but i do look for props that speak to me ... props that have a certain look that i like ... and once painted, there generally isn't anything else that needs to be done, except for maybe a minor touch up if it got damaged during storage or whatever ... static props are easy in that once complete, they're generally good to go for years, whereas animated props, have more "maintenance" and "operational" issues and may take up more storage space ... but i do eventually want to dip my toe into animation ... i even have, over the years acquired several shiatsu massagers ... i've been meaning to build a cauldron creep for years & years ... same as the laser vortex, but i finally built on this year :) and for next year i have an idea for another laser effect that i'd like to make ...

ok, i seem to be rambling on as i'm apt to do, so i'll just stop here ... :)

thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

amk

·
2,623 Posts
Wow! Great job!!!
That is crazy cool! :)
I love black lights too.
Can you tell me what the glowing green sack thingy is in the background of your video?
It looks like a cocoon with a green swirling light inside it.
That is so awesome! Did you make it?

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! Great job!!!
That is crazy cool! :)
I love black lights too.
Can you tell me what the glowing green sack thingy is in the background of your video?
It looks like a cocoon with a green swirling light inside it.
That is so awesome! Did you make it?
not "oogie boogie" from nbc?

you must mean the inflatable dragon? with the flapping purple wings? yeah, i broke down & purchased inflatables ... i planned on creepifying them, but didn't get around to it this year ... but there's always next year :)

thanks for the compliments :)

amk

·
2,623 Posts
not "oogie boogie" from nbc?

you must mean the inflatable dragon? with the flapping purple wings? yeah, i broke down & purchased inflatables ... i planned on creepifying them, but didn't get around to it this year ... but there's always next year :)

thanks for the compliments :)

amk
You're welcome!
It's not "oogie boogie" from nbc, it's the cocoon looking thing with the green swirling light inside it 2:16 into the video to the left.

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're welcome!
It's not "oogie boogie" from nbc, it's the cocoon looking thing with the green swirling light inside it 2:16 into the video to the left.
there's the inflatable dragon at the very left at 2:16 which has a swirling light inside of it ... and the green cocoon is a spider victim that's been wrapped in the spider's web ... there are 2 white other ones ... the green one is an experiment with glow in the dark paint ...

the dragon can also be seen at 0:56

amk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts