Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parisienne Halloween Frightening French Fête photos

Every year, I am allowed to decorate the conference room at the office for Halloween. The decorations go up the first weekend in October and remain up through Halloween. :D I basically have two restrictions: the conference room has to remain fully functional during the month and it can't be too gory or disturbing. With that in mind, and with the warning that I am a terrible photographer, I am sharing my 2014 Conference Room Halloween Transformation: Parisienne Halloween Frightening French Fête.

BEFORE TRANSFORMATION:
Property Room Building House Floor

Room Property Furniture Living room Wall

AFTER:
Red Room Interior design Textile Curtain

Table Interior design

Illustration Fiction Art Architecture Screenshot

Stage Music venue Room heater Interior design

Textile Room Dress Formal wear Interior design

Table Centrepiece Floristry Floral design Furniture

Room Shelf Furniture Interior design Shelving

Pink Interior design Curtain Wall Textile

Color scheme: red, black & silver
Inspiration: France's bloody past, graveyards, catacombs & skulls, gargoyles and the Eiffel Tower

On October 31, we have a Halloween luncheon and I will put up cobwebs. I am also working with the AtmosFEARfx Ghostly Apparitions DVD, trying to figure out how I can project the image on the walls.

Thanks for letting me share!

RM

·
Registered
20 Posts
Beautiful work!
Being myself Frenchman who lives on Paris we find well the Parisian spirit, the baroque style and the revival as in the castle of Versailles but more in a dark spirit ! I like the small details, maybe to add an old-looking French flag and used by time, or even a phrygien hat on the bust to hint has the French revolution. But otherwise it is very successful !
That changes to see French clichés as the baguette under the arm and the beret :)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Very Nice stuff!... and having the skull wall paper is So much easier than raiding tombs and trucking back those actual skulls!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Awesome job. I too used the AtmosFEARfx Ghostly Apparitions DVD at my Halloween party last Saturday. I used it on my iPad and looped it so it would play all night. I put the iPad in a shadow box and hung it behind the toilet. Projecting it will work also. Can you hang the projector from the ceiling so no one will walk in front of it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome job. I too used the AtmosFEARfx Ghostly Apparitions DVD at my Halloween party last Saturday. I used it on my iPad and looped it so it would play all night. I put the iPad in a shadow box and hung it behind the toilet. Projecting it will work also. Can you hang the projector from the ceiling so no one will walk in front of it?
I would love to hear more about how you projected this -- details, please! I have an iPad and I want to project the Ghostly Apparitions on the 'window onto Paris' backdrop on the second wall. The conference table is three four feet in front the that wall -- do you think I might be able to project the Ghostly Apparitions on a wall?

·
Registered
351 Posts
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROJECT WITH THE IPAD. ONLY WITH A PROJECTOR. I WOULD HANG THE PROJECTOR FROM CEILING OR SIT IT ON TOP OF A BOOK SHELF. IT WILL NEED TO BE HIGH ENOUGH SO THAT PEOPLE WALKING IN FRONT WILL NOT INTERFER WITH THE PROJECTION.
I USED THE IPAD AND LOOPED IT ON THAT. BUT THAT ONLY HUNG AS A PICTURE ON THE WALL.

I learned about the DVD from a different thread by 'Dawnski': 2014 Haunted Hotel Halloween Party - Check that out. She planned to project hers also.

ATMOSFEARFX.COM IS WHERE I BOUGHT MY DVD.
HOPE THIS HELPS.
GOOD LUCK. I WILL CHECK BACK IN HOPES TO SEE THE PARTY PICTURES.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Totally amazing!!!! How did you make the stairs look like . . . well . . . like they are in your apartment?? Wow . . . good job!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love it! The complete transformation witht the walls is tops. How do your co-workers feel about it? When I lived in France (granted it's been years), they didn't acknowledge Halloween at all and I was one sad transplant.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROJECT WITH THE IPAD. ONLY WITH A PROJECTOR. I WOULD HANG THE PROJECTOR FROM CEILING OR SIT IT ON TOP OF A BOOK SHELF. IT WILL NEED TO BE HIGH ENOUGH SO THAT PEOPLE WALKING IN FRONT WILL NOT INTERFER WITH THE PROJECTION.
I USED THE IPAD AND LOOPED IT ON THAT. BUT THAT ONLY HUNG AS A PICTURE ON THE WALL.

I learned about the DVD from a different thread by 'Dawnski': 2014 Haunted Hotel Halloween Party - Check that out. She planned to project hers also.
Thank you so much for the info. I am now researching projectors -- for next year. Always want to amp up the decorations a notch. I really, really appreciate the info on the different thread; very informative.

Next year: Haunted Mansion...or Tim Burton...or ?????

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Totally amazing!!!! How did you make the stairs look like . . . well . . . like they are in your apartment??
I have spent hundreds of dollars each year trying to cover the ugly, oh-so-not-spooky white walls. Technology has FINALLY pitched in with very cheap photography backdrops made in China. I am CRAZY about them! They are cheap, easy to hang and make a BIG IMPACT! The steps and the window looking out at Paris are both from Amazon.com. The links are here:

Red Line Pattern Architecture Handrail

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E71L9X0/?ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_3hritb1K411PQW0M

Floor Tile Flooring Lighting Room

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MOD6SHK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like all of you, I really want to transform a room for Halloween and have searched for years for the perfect wall covering. Scene Setters are nice, but expensive and often cartoonish. I am so thrilled with these computer photographers backdrops. The company than manufactures them is very good to work with and will make the backdrops in reasonable CUSTOM SIZES! I had one made 8' by 8' and the other 8' tall by 12' side. They are very lightweight and hang with only a few 3M hooks (I cut slits in the tops of each backdrop).

I have one caveat, though, carefully look at what they are selling before you order. It is obvious that many of the backdrops that look like photos are just pictures nabbed from the internet, so when they are blown up to wall size, the pixelation may be disappointing. I chose the red steps because they seemed computer generated and I took a chance on the Window onto Paris backdrop and I was happy with the results. The colors were a bit faded, but that worked and in iPhone photos, the window backdrop looked real!

Smaller walls can used lightweight photo shower curtains from CafePress. These usually run 6' x 6'. That was the Notre Dame backdrop and I have sometimes used these shower curtains to cover bookshelves. However, once I discovered the Photography backdrops on Amazon, I was hooked on these. They are AWESOME!

I can wait to order more!

RM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts